PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Failure

cham
07-20-2005, 04:41 PM
So its a nice evening out right now so I decide to take a drive. So I crank her up like always, great as always cold idle. Sounds awesome, so I get out and go to walk inside and as I walk by the open hood it just dies. No stumble like its cold, no sputter, nothing. It was like I shut the key off.

I walked back to it to try and start it back up and the engine wont fire. No ignition of any kind. After seeing fuel pressure on the guage and smelling fuel in the exhaust pipe I figure it has to be spark. So I hook up my timing light and I was right, no spark at all. So I check the wires running into the distributor and they are all on so I pull the cap up and the rotor looks fine too. All fuses by the drivers left foot look fine too.

Its getting dark so I will have to look at it tomorrow but I am at a loss. Any ideas? It seems crazy but I almost think that the distributor shaft broke or something abnormal. Car is a 69 camaro with HEI coil in cap.

Anyone?

derekf
07-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Got power to the distributor?

cham
07-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I believe so, the connections are fine and no fuses are blown but my fluke is broken so I wont know for sure till this weekend. I was just trying to think of common failures for this type thing.

zbugger
07-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Ignition module. That's how they go. You may need a new one.

cham
07-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Thats what I was thinking, so I went and got an MSD pro billet distributor, 6AL box and blaster 2 coil.

That should do it.