PDA

View Full Version : Our Lotus 7 based design

Rebeca_Lynn
05-30-2012, 06:41 PM
As I mentioned before my husband and myself are working on three builds.

This thread will be for our Lotus 7 based design and build.

For the design and build we are wanting to bring this build in a Pro-Touring style as this is what my son and daughter like.

They both are want a car that they can enjoy driving everyday and a car that will perform on the track, at the same time they do not want something that everybody else has or that is highly common.

So as we go though the build there will be post from myself, my husband Michael, my son William and my daughter Lauretta.

With this build we are planning on building two cars at the same time.

Now with some information on the build itself.

We have been working on designing the chassis, we have come up with a basis for our chassis. The design we have is a hybrid in ways.
We are planning on using aluminum 2" x4" tubing for flat floor lay-out along with the sides of the main chassis, with this we will use aluminum sheet to enclose the lower portion of the chassis. With this we are going to use a track legal based design safety / roll cage system out of 1.5" Dom steel for the fron and rear roll bar systems along with the side intrusion system.

With this layout of the chassis the lower body will use the aluminum sheet metal from the chassis for the body.

We have settled on several thing for the suspension. We are going to use LG motorsports drop C6 spindles fron and rear, along with custom upper and lower control arms. Along with Brembo brakes with custom rotor hats and Forgline Centerlock wheels. We are planning on ordering a Woodward manual rack and pinion unit and steering column.

I am working on finding a way to take our 3d model I have drawn and be able to post it so that, as we are working though the design process.

The next part of the design will be the drivetrain layout along with the body and interior, as these all three have to work together to get the right overall design and look that we are looking for. I will post more information on this part of the design in the next few days.

Rebeca Lynn

olason
05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
What are you using for the modeling of your project? It sounds like an interesting project, and I am using Pro Engineer for the chassis of my build.

Rebeca_Lynn
05-30-2012, 06:52 PM
AutoCad 2013 and Alias.

Motorcitydak
05-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Very interested in seeing something on this

Rebeca_Lynn
06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Have rear uprights mocked up out of plastic right now. Should fit wheel and brake package. Upright designed for forward caliper and e-brake caliper. Have caliper brackes drawn and will nake mock up piece.
Using my own hub and bearing package design for centeer lock wheels and custom safety lock. Also working on custon backer plate/ cooling duct system. For the front and rear.

Working on prototype of front upright now.

Just got several pieces in that we needed for set up streering rack. Ohins shocks, hyper coil springs, bushings and rod ends. Plus other odds and ends.

Laying out rear suspension to figure out control arm lengths and position. Then Half shaft sizes to mate our hubs to the QC rear housing. Then we will work on the front.

Should I go with a push-rod style front suspension or a more traditional one?
Push-rod would clean the front up some. I am using a modified push-rod set-up in the rear.

Motorcitydak
06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I say do the pushrod front too, just modify the motion ratio so you at least get the same shock travel as tire travel. I did mine a slight over drive on mine, a 6.9 inch travel ride tech shock will do 6 inches of suspension travel

Rebeca_Lynn
06-21-2012, 07:51 PM
It has beed a few since i posted an update.

I now have in hand our front and rear billet uprights. I had to remodel both 2 times before we came up with what we wanted.
Both or designed to use Alcon 400mm carbon cermic rotors for Nissian GTR with 6 piston calipers front and rear along with a mechanical caliper for a parking brake. We have been using this package on my husbands GTR for a while and hope it will be a good set-up with the Tilton pedal and master cylinder pacakage we are using. With the caliper in a front monting location ( the uprights are designed for mounting the calipers in 3 different locations for better layout ans design.)
I am waiting on bearings and for our hubs to be machined for the Forgline centerlocks system we are using.

I hope to have the control arms back from the CNC machine shope at the first of the week after having the fittings mounted to them. The man part of the control arms front and rear are steel with billet inserts press fit and pinned. The inserts are at each end for adjustments and mounting. I already have the pushrods and pick-up mounts for the shocks machined and in the shop. Along with the Ohins remote resivour shocks and springs.
We also got our woodward manual rack in this morning to go with the electric powersteering unit from flaming river.

Once we have everything on hand we can order our wheels and have a rolling chassis.

As far as the chassis goes we have the based built along with front and rear suspension mounting points, we will have drivetrain layout done this weekend.

As we have finally settled this part -

We are having a RHS 502 LS based dry sump, with Kinsler ITB EFI system built by Katech, with around 800hp.
Jerico 5 speed trans and a Speedway Q/C rear axle center section.

Once we have this part finished we can move on to finishing the chassis and getting the safety cage designed and approved.

We also have been working on both the SLC and the GT40, I will post on those in a different thread.

MrQuick
06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the site, btw we love pictures.

19,69camaro
06-22-2012, 06:07 AM
800hp in a Locost!!!! How the hell are you ever going to get that kind of power to the ground? Either way I can't wait to see some build pics.