PDA

View Full Version : IFS or stub

butchp
05-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I just got a 1956 chevy truck and want to lower it can anyone with truck experince tell me what front stub to look for to install in my truck, also if I go with a IFS which one.

neki67
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I just got a 1956 chevy truck and want to lower it can anyone with truck experince tell me what front stub to look for to install in my truck, also if I go with a IFS which one.

I'ld say: second gen. F-body sub.

exwestracer
05-25-2012, 04:44 AM
If you want to keep the stock column look, I'd recommend a rear steer stub (1st gen Camaro, or Nova through 74 I believe). The box will line up much better with the stock column. It is generally regarded as NOT the best for ultimate handling, however.

I've done a few of these over the years, and HOW you graft the stub on has a big effect on the success of the job. If you line up the bottoms of the stub and stock frame, you will end up with about a 6" ride height at the frame WITHOUT lowering the suspension in any way. If you're using running boards, that will put them about 4" off the ground IIRC (MEASURE YOURS!).

It's usually possible to match the width of the stock frame to the stub at some point. Where you cut will determine how difficult the graft job is.

Randy67
05-25-2012, 05:05 AM
I have seen a truck of that vintage that they used the front and rear of a Chevelle frame grafted onto the stock frame. They were able to keep the stock bed floor as well and had a nice ride height. Can't remember much else, last time I saw the truck was about 17 years ago.

exwestracer
05-25-2012, 05:55 AM
I have seen a truck of that vintage that they used the front and rear of a Chevelle frame grafted onto the stock frame. They were able to keep the stock bed floor as well and had a nice ride height. Can't remember much else, last time I saw the truck was about 17 years ago.

Also a possibility...

One advantage of the Camaro (etc) stub is that the rails run straight back. With a Chevelle type perimeter frame, the cut area in the "narrow" part of the frame is usually huge. This makes it more difficult to get accurate cut lines and requires a lot of boxing in after it's grafted on.

silver69camaro
05-25-2012, 09:46 AM
We have a 34" subframe that would fit your stock frame pretty well, not to mention lower it quite a bit and provide much better geometry than any OE suspension would have.

BrianP
05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Kimbridge Enterprise (http://www.kimbridgeent.com/194755chevypickup.htm) makes a front subframe clip which uses the 80-88 G Body suspension if you'd like a little more load capacity than a corvette IFS offers.

dontlifttoshift
05-30-2012, 05:22 AM
http://www.nolimitparts.com/