PDA

View Full Version : brand new lifters bad???

drc270
05-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Lost a cam, rebuilt new 355. Broke in cam this a.m. motor ran but with a miss, spit a little fuel out carb
and popping out exhaust. Pulled the valve covers and noticed every single lifter bleeding off. Is every lifter
bad or is there another explanation?
It seemed to smooth out at 2k, but at idle it had no lope and seemed like it was running on 6 cylinders.
All ignition and fuel is good.

sam 74
05-21-2012, 08:18 PM
are you useing fast bleed lifters? not trying to be a smat @ss just looking for a little more info, also make sure your lash isn't overly tight. lifters usually don't stay pumped up with no pressure going to them and you have pressure pushing them down so there may be nothing wrong, but a little more info would help.

Rod
05-21-2012, 09:25 PM
what oil did you use for break-in? how tight was your valve lash? I also need to know..... what cam? what springs?

drc270
05-22-2012, 04:13 AM
comp cams hr 270 with there recomended springs and lifter package.
lash was o plus 1/2 turn
oil used - joe gibbs racing oil
everything was done correct, primed on stand/60lbs
it was a very clean build, not a single leak, could not have gone any better until this.

it seems comp misboxed a complete set of lifters!

MarkM66
05-22-2012, 07:18 AM
When you say "lost a cam." Are some of the lobes now flat?

drc270
05-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Three lobes to be exact.
Started over with fresh block and crank, used my pistons and rods, everything else new.
The last couple of days we have come to the conclusion comp cams misboxed a set of lifters.
I replaced the lifters last night, will try to make time to start and tune tonight...
Hopefully problem solved
Nothing more fun than doing half the job all over again in the car!

drc270
05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Found the issue.
I wont be return business to a local machine shop as the rear cam bearing was incorrectly placed
resulting in insufficient oil pressure at the lifter galley.