PDA

View Full Version : bad gas?

ehummelman
05-17-2012, 05:56 AM
I am having very violent bucking when I hit the accelerator in any gear. It smooths out after a few jolts, but I have no idea why it's doing this. I haven't touched the carb or the timing at all. Could it be a bad batch of gas? What else would be making it do this?

ehummelman
05-19-2012, 03:15 PM
anyone? new tank of gas and a bottle of fuel system cleaner did nothing.

sam 74
05-19-2012, 04:50 PM
try adjusting the accelerator pumps, it sounds like you need a faster squirt.

ehummelman
05-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks Sam, I thought of that too. I wonder though why it just started happening though. The car drove great just a week or two ago. Some guys on the Pontiac boards have suggested ignition not fuel, but I am lost at this point. With that said, I know the carb does need time with a good dyno tuner to get optimized, I just haven't had time to take it yet.

ehummelman
05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
OK, to close this one out and give someone in the future another thing to check when this happens. It was the MSD wiring. Specifically, I had installed a new 6AL a couple weeks ago and the purple/green wires (magnetic pickup) were too close to the other wires going to the HEI. Apparently they have to be run away from each other or you have issues like I did. It's weird though, they all go the the distributor so you can't actually separate them completely. I did my best though and it cured the problem. No more neck brace needed.