PDA

View Full Version : 5 Point racing harness mounting

TheJDMan
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm a little unclear about mounting a 5 point racing harness in a 1st Gen Camaro. I see them advertised as wraparound or bolt-in. I understand the seat belt mounts to the stock front belt mounts but where do the shoulder straps mount? I understand a wraparound harness wraps around the roll bar cross bar. But does the bolt in harness straps bolt to a welded tab on the cross bar or to the stock rear seat belts mounts?

NOT A TA
05-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Welded tab on the horizontal bar at roughly shoulder height behind the seat.

parsonsj
05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Steve, if you're installing a new harness, go with a 6 pt system. It's actually easier to fab the under seat mounting because you can wrap the the anti-sub straps under your legs above the seat. You can't do that with a 5 pt system. Or if you are going to have a strap relief in the seat base, the 6 pt anti-stub straps take no more room than a 5 pt. Check this out (look on page 16):

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

SLO_Z28
05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Not the best picture but here is my dad sitting in my seat with the wrap around shoulder harness:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/05/125-1.jpg

TheJDMan
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
I actually ordered a Schroth Rally Cross harness since I plan mostly street use with occasional autocross for the time being and I have to keep my wife happy while riding shotgun. This harness has no anti-sub belts. I realize this is not a full blown racing harness but it is DOT legal for street use and still uses shoulder belts. According to the installation instructions, the shoulder belts are designed to mount to the rear seat belt anchors. Since I don't currently have a roll bar cross bar for the wrap around mount, the only other option is the rear seat belt mounts. At some point I plan to weld in an SCCA legal cross brace and shoulder bar but I have other priorities before that.

uraceulose
07-31-2012, 10:30 AM
The schroth setup is very nice. I'm just now getting it finished up. In fact, I like it so much that I may go ahead and upgrade to their 6 pt harness in the future. I'll probably go with these from now on. Cage or no cage, theyre very well designed IMO

jpgolf14
08-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Just make sure to verify the angle of the shoulder belts if you use the rear belt mounts.