PDA

View Full Version : c5 corvette rear suspension swap questions

xx_ED_xx
05-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I am considering doing this in my s10 swap. I have an engine but I am trying to figure out what else i need.
off the top of my head

Torque tube
trans and diff
cradle suspension knuckles etc
Anything else?

xx_ED_xx
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Well i didnt get a lot of replies...

Anyhow i got pretty much everything underneath the truck now.

But ran into a snag.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130304_214936-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130304_214913-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130304_214902-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130304_214857-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130304_214833-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130304_214828-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/IMG_20130224_210432-1.jpg

I need to add to the length to get the engine back in the engine compartment on my s10. But after doing some research lot of people are saying you dont wanna lengthen the shaft do to it whipping and to buy a carbon fiber shaft. I thought about just makeing a piece that went between trans and torque tube then i wouldnt have that issue. Guesstimating i need to add 10 inches I am going to order my mounts and set the short block in there and get a final number.

Suggestions comments concerns?

Thanks in advance

exwestracer
03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Look at some of the stuff used in sprint car quick change rear ends. Just looking at it, it seems like lengthening it at the bellhousing end would be much simpler. If you put a carrier bearing in your extension housing, you could use the original shaft and a short extension shaft to make up the difference.

xx_ED_xx
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Look at some of the stuff used in sprint car quick change rear ends. Just looking at it, it seems like lengthening it at the bellhousing end would be much simpler. If you put a carrier bearing in your extension housing, you could use the original shaft and a short extension shaft to make up the difference.

On the bellhousing end is the clutch release bearing and hydraulic assembly

Black Rock Fab
03-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Hey, im new to the site but im looking to do the same swap in a car im building. But i plan on using a ford 9inch center in the rear instead of the factory corvette parts. Why dont you consider ditching that stuff and using a different center in the rear? makes for more room . Just an idea. But im stil gathering parts for my build. Thanks Kyle

xx_ED_xx
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Hey, im new to the site but im looking to do the same swap in a car im building. But i plan on using a ford 9inch center in the rear instead of the factory corvette parts. Why dont you consider ditching that stuff and using a different center in the rear? makes for more room . Just an idea. But im stil gathering parts for my build. Thanks Kyle
I have plenty of room, actually have to narrow the frame. corvette stuff works and if I break something cheap and plentiful.

wellis77
03-19-2013, 06:29 PM
I think what he is saying is use only a different center section with a trans bolted to your engine and a drive shaft running to your center. I'm using a modified Viper IRS and with that, a Dana 44 center and can set the engine/trans where I need it and build the drive shaft to length. So use the corvette arms/spindles/etc, but use a different center, locate your engine/trans in the engine bay, build your DS and your good.

Black Rock Fab
03-20-2013, 07:17 AM
I think what he is saying is use only a different center section with a trans bolted to your engine and a drive shaft running to your center. I'm using a modified Viper IRS and with that, a Dana 44 center and can set the engine/trans where I need it and build the drive shaft to length. So use the corvette arms/spindles/etc, but use a different center, locate your engine/trans in the engine bay, build your DS and your good.

Yep that's what i referring. I know it will cost more in the end and the parts will be more one off but might make it a little easier on ya in the end. Nice build though

Not to high jack the thread , but wellis77 why did you choose the viper IRS over say the corvette? I haven't looked into the viper at all . thanks kyle

Samckitt
03-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Yep that's what i referring. I know it will cost more in the end and the parts will be more one off but might make it a little easier on ya in the end. Nice build though

Not to high jack the thread , but wellis77 why did you choose the viper IRS over say the corvette? I haven't looked into the viper at all . thanks kyle

Just guessing. Going with a Viper IRS uses the trans in the traditional location right behind the engine. This pic below uses the rear Vette suspension but uses the viper center section"

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/03/Street_Shop_Inc_c5c6_c2090_04_large-1.jpg

Black Rock Fab
03-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Now viper uses a dana 44 center? I like the 9inch centers i see out their but its amazing what a 9inch center with two flanges on it cost, but they also provided the bolt on collar with shaft. I build a 9inch sheetmetal housing for show/go 4x4 trucks so not sure what im going to with with yet. Thanks for the pic samckitt, thats a bad a$$ set up . Kyle

wellis77
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Partially what Scot said and partially because my build is VERY Viper inspired.

Black Rock Fab
03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
wellis77, i have spent the last few hours looking at your build page, page by page lol. very nice work. Think ill be doing some thinking on the viper center v.s 9inch. Has anyone ever did a comparison viper suspension v.s corvette? with info such as wms-wms, after market parts backing ect. thanks kyle

wellis77
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks Kyle. It's been a BIG learning lesson for me (and I've got soo much more to learn. I don't recall anybody doing a vette/viper comparison. I will say aftermarket parts for the Viper are pretty much left to those into racing. Not much suspension wise except for shocks, some sway bars, but I don't think much else.

xx_ED_xx
03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
interesting build with the viper center section. who makes the frame rails? I could use those on my build. I will keep the corvette setup I have already half concocted something that will add length to it with out making the driveshaft longer.

Samckitt
03-20-2013, 03:31 PM
ED, You talking about the pic I posted? That is from "the Street Shop".

http://www.streetshopinc.com/

xx_ED_xx
03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
ED, You talking about the pic I posted? That is from "the Street Shop".

http://www.streetshopinc.com/

Thanks I sent them an email

xx_ED_xx
04-02-2013, 03:29 AM
Well I called him, got a voice mail left a short message about needing something and then he called me back later that week and got my voice mail and said he couldnt make me one. smh

I think the guy was confused hopefully i can call and get him to answer phone

2wolf_Michael
04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
It would not be all that hard to build those fame rails. Looks to be close to typical 4 like frame rails cut- down some and then add the mounting points for the center section and suspension parts. I am getting ready to do the came thing right now for a Lotus 7 based chassis I am building using C6 parts.

If you need to lengthen the Torque-tube, I would not suggest doing so. Instead, that the end flange / out put from the clutch/ flywheel end and then the splined end from the trans mission end and have a 1 or 2 piece drive shaft built. Then you will just have to mock up the shifter linkage from the factory parts from there. On the Corvette, one reason for the torque tube design was to strengthen the chassis. With a pick-up or custom build you should not need this.

xx_ED_xx
04-03-2013, 12:17 AM
It would not be all that hard to build those fame rails. Looks to be close to typical 4 like frame rails cut- down some and then add the mounting points for the center section and suspension parts. I am getting ready to do the came thing right now for a Lotus 7 based chassis I am building using C6 parts.

If you need to lengthen the Torque-tube, I would not suggest doing so. Instead, that the end flange / out put from the clutch/ flywheel end and then the splined end from the trans mission end and have a 1 or 2 piece drive shaft built. Then you will just have to mock up the shifter linkage from the factory parts from there. On the Corvette, one reason for the torque tube design was to strengthen the chassis. With a pick-up or custom build you should not need this.

Yeah if i had the measurement off of a frame then i would make it myself, I was hoping this guy that makes all these custom corvette chassis on his website, me needing a simple box made with factory c5 cradle mount points and upper suspension points would be a no brainer. But what do i know. yeah that what i was thinking of doing using the ends of the driveshaft to space it out some and make a simple adpater to cover it and keep the torque tube. anything to strengthen it up.

2wolf_Michael
04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
If you need to or want to keep the torque tube. My suggestion or idea would be to, not lengthen it from on end, but from the center or just ahead of the shifter mounting point. I would use a section from a second torque tube to do so. For the driveshaft, I would have a complely new one built to the length that you need as it will be easier to have it balanced and such.

If you still have the cradle from the car you got your suspension and drivetrain from, it would not be to hard to figure out the mounting points. If not I will have mine free soon from the C6, I picked up that was totaled.

Which building a S10 pick-up you already have a full fame, If you were building a car with sub frames, then I would say you would still need the torque-tube. But with a full frame car / truck. There are other better ways to stiffen the chassis, that most people will be doing anyways. Is what I was talking about before. Also using the torque-tube, way also require other chassis or body mods, compared to using just a modified drive shaft would.

Either way you go keep us posted, as it is good knowledge to have and anything may help another going down the same road.

I will try to post up measurments and pic's of the cradle and mounting points as soon as I can if they help.

xx_ED_xx
04-03-2013, 08:50 AM
If you need to or want to keep the torque tube. My suggestion or idea would be to, not lengthen it from on end, but from the center or just ahead of the shifter mounting point. I would use a section from a second torque tube to do so. For the driveshaft, I would have a complely new one built to the length that you need as it will be easier to have it balanced and such.

If you still have the cradle from the car you got your suspension and drivetrain from, it would not be to hard to figure out the mounting points. If not I will have mine free soon from the C6, I picked up that was totaled.

Which building a S10 pick-up you already have a full fame, If you were building a car with sub frames, then I would say you would still need the torque-tube. But with a full frame car / truck. There are other better ways to stiffen the chassis, that most people will be doing anyways. Is what I was talking about before. Also using the torque-tube, way also require other chassis or body mods, compared to using just a modified drive shaft would.

Either way you go keep us posted, as it is good knowledge to have and anything may help another going down the same road.

I will try to post up measurments and pic's of the cradle and mounting points as soon as I can if they help.

I appreciate your help. a corvette is full frame as well but they use it too. I actually a not going to lengthen the torque tube. but add an adapter once i collect some parts. be easier to show.

YEah i got the cradle but dont have an upper frame to take measurements off of. I mainly need to know measurements from a set point for the upper control arms and shock mounts. And yes they will help :)

amfs1950f-1
01-23-2015, 10:08 PM
What ever happened with this build?

xx_ED_xx
01-24-2015, 06:09 AM
What ever happened with this build?

I sold the corvette stuff and got the truck running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HP1Z4UlBhQ&list=UUYaImyfGzkrMt-k4jNJACHw

amfs1950f-1
01-24-2015, 11:40 AM
i'd like to pick ur brain bout this.

xx_ED_xx
01-24-2015, 05:28 PM
shoot me an email [email protected]

Samckitt
06-01-2015, 11:29 AM
I sold the corvette stuff and got the truck running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HP1Z4UlBhQ&list=UUYaImyfGzkrMt-k4jNJACHw

Dangit, didnt know you had it for sale. Curious where did you find the vette suspension from?

xx_ED_xx
06-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Dangit, didnt know you had it for sale. Curious where did you find the vette suspension from?

C5 corvette