PDA

View Full Version : Coil-overs or bags?

ONDSKAN
05-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm going to upgrade my 86 chevy stepside to either the C10 level 3 air package or a Coil-over set up. Basically I'm asking 2 things.. 1---which is better 2---which is less of a headache to maintain?

Motorcitydak
05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
air springs are quite nice in that you can adjust the ride height at your whim very easily. You can adjust the height with a coil over also, it just is a little harder. Something big to keep in mind is that you cannot change your spring rate if you have an air spring. Once the bag has enough pressure to suspend the vehicle, that is what you get. You can change the volume of air in it to change the height but the only way to change your bag size or its location on a control arm. You can get air shocks from ridetech with adjustable shocks which would be nice and helpful but still not as adjustable as a coilover since you cannot change its spring rate

ONDSKAN
05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks man... that helps....decisions decisions decisions oh my hahaha

wellis77
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Regarding spring rate, air suspension offers a progressive spring rate, not a fixed rate through it's motion. Air suspension is a bit more complex because you have air lines, compressors, tanks, valves, etc. However, if you've seen the guys from RideTech beating on their cars, many of them are running air, and running it well. You also get a bit better ride with air vs. coil-overs (so I've heard, probably arguable by some though). I'm running air in my project with RideTech select series shocks. Somewhat limited in adjustability because they are only two-way adjustable but I also don't have to get under the car to adjust them, nor do I have to play with them to find the right setting. Flip the switch and roll. Another thing about air, you don't have to fiddle with different springs trying to find the right spring rate. Again, all these can be argued as plus's or minuses. I won't have my air on the street for a while, but I'm looking forward to it and real excited about the Select Series shocks I'm running.

LowFast
05-11-2012, 07:09 AM
For a truck, BAG IT!

bret
05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Just some clarification...

The short version...airpsrings are the ticket on a C10.

We use a double convoluted style airspring all around on the C10 chassis. The DC style airspring is very progressive in spring rate...meaning the farther you compress it the higher the spring rate goes. When you adjust air pressure you can affect the spring rate faster than the load capacity...meaning that, within a narrow range, you can adjust spring rate [and ride quality] without a significant effect on load capacity [which is directly porportional to ride height].
ALSO...the C10 has a fairly short vertical envelope for springs, both front and rear. Unless you want to do some custom fabrication [which is not really that hard] a coilover is a tough fit in that chassis, especially in the front. The DC style airsprings short installed height fit that short envelope very nicely.

The downside of air...it will cost a little more. You will need a compressor system that will add about $1500 to a "normal" suspension. As far as "trouble" with a compressor system...its all in common sense and careful installation. Take a little time to route the airlines away from sharp edges and extreme heat, use thread sealer on your fittings, and cut the airline to length cleanly and squarely. If your "buddy" say he's had nothing but problems with his air system, he didn't do it right:)

Ride quality...its all in the shocks. If you use a $15 shock, you'll get a $15 ride. Use our NA or SA series monotube shocks and that C10 will ride and handle like a new car.

Coilovers for the C10...not a bad choice either, BUT...it will take more work to install. IF you are able/willing to do simple fabrication, it's not that hard and you can make the truck ride just as good as an air system...IF you don't change the load with luggage, trailer, cargo, etc....and IF you never wnat to change the ride height.

Hope this helps!

Z06killinSBF
05-11-2012, 07:46 AM
One recommendation from my following air bagged builds is for the best quality ride, do a bag-on-bar set-up and NOT a bag-over-axle. Find a truck forum that does a lot of air ride set ups such as s10forum.com. I know they aren't exactly the same but the experience and knowledge is there.

ONDSKAN
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
You guys rock! Thanks.... RIDETECH it is. Setting up the build thread next week.

ONDSKAN
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
So Bret do I get some sort of a discount cause I'm going to be rolling hard with RIDETECH? Haha love your stuff. great booth at good guys Del Mar

bret
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
So Bret do I get some sort of a discount cause I'm going to be rolling hard with RIDETECH? Haha love your stuff. great booth at good guys Del Mar

You'll take a check, right? ;)

ONDSKAN
05-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Always....just make it out to CASH! haha

Motorcitydak
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Looking forward to the build thread!