PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Joints?

BRIAN
07-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Just saw them on Currie's web site. I am sure they are not knew but anybody using them in say a 4 bar type suspension? Do they move laterally?
Good? Bad?

MrQuick
07-18-2005, 09:02 PM
I have them on my 3rd gen, they are great. The only way they can move laterally is if its badly worn out. It is lubable and rebuildable so that can't happen unless you really neglect them.
I have 2 heims on the other end of the links for the left hand thread side and they are noisy as hell. Im waiting for my left hand hardware to show up and I will replace the heims. As of now, nobody makes these type of bushings in a left hand configuration.
If you want close up information on johnny joint assembly check out my home page. I put a set together for my 70335 project.

sinned
07-18-2005, 09:50 PM
They work, I can attest to that. I would have no problem recommending them for just about any application.

MrQuick
07-18-2005, 11:46 PM
They really seal the dirt out too Den...I pulled the right link out and inspected them today...clean as the inside of your glove box. ROFL!!!!!

astroracer
07-19-2005, 02:45 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I haven't used these but I am using their 2" bushings in Bad Ast's front suspension. Check out the "johnny joints" here:
http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/super_pivot_bar-end.htm
$35 bucks seems to be cheaper then most other sources and I will attest to the quality of their other products.
Mark

sinned
07-19-2005, 04:22 AM
They really seal the dirt out too Den...I pulled the right link out and inspected them today...clean as the inside of your glove box. ROFL!!!!!
I can see that this is going to take a while to live down.

signed, the dirt boy

BRIAN
07-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Is that right about the left handed ends? Actually I thought i would have to actually fab the end themselves and use the Joints as sort of an inserted bushing. They look interesting. Does anybody but Currie sell them?

astroracer
07-19-2005, 06:00 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I haven't used these but I am using their 2" bushings in Bad Ast's front suspension. Check out the "johnny joints" here:
http://www.suicidedoors.com/products/super_pivot_bar-end.htm
$35 bucks seems to be cheaper then most other sources and I will attest to the quality of their other products.
Mark
Some threaded bolts welded to these would get you a decent rod end. I don't see a need to have these as LH threads specifically when you can do the LH thread on the other end of the bar... Use a LH threaded poly rod end like this...
http://www.horton.on.ca/Products/categories/suspension/adjusters.htm

MuscleRodz
07-19-2005, 07:57 AM
He is what I purchased for my 3 link. They are made by Rubicon express. They are teflon or delrin lined with a chromed monoball, and also rebuildable. One side the threaded so I gues you could adjust preload or wear on them. Very nice piece. Price is $40.

Mike

Travis B
07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
suicide doors has left hand call them and ask them they have pre made threaded studs that they tig on the Johnny joint tubing! So they can do left or right hand!

MrQuick
07-19-2005, 09:50 AM
the stuf they have isn't grade 8...i would like strong stuff, the rubicon joints are nice.

BRIAN
07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
On Currie's web page they list actual rod ends in different sizes and I think a stronger version? What am I missing here? Just curious of why go to the trouble im making an end out of it if it is already available. I like to fabricate but ? Are Curie's weaker?? Is this what Global is using in their Cat 5 rear spring set up. They do look interesting.

62fairlane
09-17-2005, 10:58 AM
I have been wondering about this as I just bought a pair of Jonny's this summer for my project. I had heard that a jonny on either the axle or frame end (can't recall which one) and a poly on the other would work pretty well but if someone makes a LH joint/shell I will prob just get that then.

Damn True
09-17-2005, 03:41 PM
He is what I purchased for my 3 link. They are made by Rubicon express. They are teflon or delrin lined with a chromed monoball, and also rebuildable. One side the threaded so I gues you could adjust preload or wear on them. Very nice piece. Price is $40.

Mike

I had the Rubicon Express joints in the front suspension system on my Jeep Cherokee. I beat the snot out of that truck. Drove it mercilessly in snow, mud and over the Rubicon twice. They were fairly trouble free and I'm certain I exposed them to far more abuse and environmental factors (extreme cold, road salt, mud) than any PT car would see. They did eventually begin to wear once the seals begin to break down, and once that starts, they really go to hell fast. The front end got really loud and sloppy....trust me, when they start to go, you'll know it.
But they are very easy to rebuild.

bnickel
09-18-2005, 01:21 PM
i wonder what all applications they could be used for? specifically the front spring eye on the rear leafs and the lower control arm pivot on my 69 stang. any ideas? i'm pretty sure on the leafs it's the LCA pivot i have questions about.

EDIT: looks like i could use them on the strut rod end as well instead of the factory or poly bushing or even a heim joint in that position. hmmmmm nasty thoughts about stealing a welder are going through my head right now.

CarlC
09-18-2005, 04:26 PM
If someone has these parts, can you please post the envelope dimensions and the through-bolt size?

MuscleRodz
09-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Rubicon has 2 sizes available, small and large, I have the large ones. Casing OD is 2.625 and 1.875 wide. The bolt thru dimension of the sphere is 2.625 with a 9/16" bolt hole.

Mike