PDA

View Full Version : Corvette IRS Questions

orphancars
07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
...........I'm also in need of some help setting up the rear end, too :)

Some of these the same, some different:

- How to remove the transverse spring with ordinary tools?

- Just for grins, does anyone make a shortened (~4") transverse
spring?

- What angle should the halfshafts be at normal ride height? Need to
know how high/low I need to set the diff in the chassis.

- Any advice on coilovers?

- Regarding the factory "C" beam -- is it necessary? Any other
suggested ways of mounting the front of the differential to the
chassis, or is it best to tie the differential to the end of the trans
just like GM intended?

All for now -- might be more later. Now I just have a pile of used
parts, a chassis, and a bunch of metal and a welder in my shop.
Hopefully soon, one day, I'll have a rolling chassis :)

Many thanks in advance,

-jeff d
Fort Worth, TX
1986 Fiero GT/V8
1973 TVR 2500M

MrQuick
07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
- How to remove the transverse spring with ordinary tools? Very carefully. Undo the ends then loosen the center mount...then beat the f-er out.

- Just for grins, does anyone make a shortened (~4") transverse :dunno:

- What angle should the halfshafts be at normal ride height? Need to all the ones I have seen on the alignment rack have been parallel with the ground.

- Any advice on coilovers? since you are building the chassis from scratch, you can use what you want. You are setting the height,travel,etc.

- Regarding the factory "C" beam -- is it necessary? Any other see previous answer...

ProdigyCustoms
07-19-2005, 03:45 AM
- How to remove the transverse spring with ordinary tools? See above post

- Just for grins, does anyone make a shortened (~4") transverse
spring?
Why, use coil overs
- What angle should the halfshafts be at normal ride height? Need to
know how high/low I need to set the diff in the chassis.
Level and back 1 or 2 degrees negative
- Any advice on coilovers?
Single adjustable QA1s are cheap, double adjustables would be nice, but more $$$$$

- Regarding the factory "C" beam -- is it necessary? Any other
suggested ways of mounting the front of the differential to the
chassis, or is it best to tie the differential to the end of the trans
just like GM intended?
you can just snub the rear with a crossmember

All for now -- might be more later. Now I just have a pile of used
parts, a chassis, and a bunch of metal and a welder in my shop.
Hopefully soon, one day, I'll have a rolling chassis :)

orphancars
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice guys!!! Frank -- I especially appreciate the advice on replacing the "C" beam with a crossmember.

I hope to start disassembling things and mocking up the suspension this weekend!

-jeff d

WS6
07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
i wouldnt just remove the spring like that. sorry but some of them were loaded enough that it will hurt to just undo the end bolts. those springs had many different spring rates availible and you cant just look at it to tell which was which. you may need to have a second hand for this. im also assuming the rearend is not on the car. either way try this. grab a 2x4 maybe 4 feet long. stick it under the spring and over the strut rod. lift up or push so the pressure of the spring is not on the bolts. then remove the nuts off the bolts and slowly let tention off the 2x4 and let the spring lower. do this on the other side as well. then just unbolt the middle and it should drop right off. if not then just tap it with a rubber mallet. the spacers/bushings may be sticky. if you plan to reuse the spring keep track of what shims are where and if they are on top or bottom.

the simple idea is to use the 2x4 as a lever to release spring tension. the 2x4 will not break. i do this everytime i work with any C2/C3/C4 corvette IRS. works like a charm. just besure the 2x4 is going far enough past the strut rod that it cant slip off. this wont hurt the strut rods either which on the C3 and C2s is commonly bent. the C4 strut rods are strong.

MrQuick
07-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks for that detailed description Trey,that should help him greatly.

Its really not that hard, My friend and his girlfriend did a spring swap and lower job in their car port...just becarefull, hence the statement "Very carefully. Undo the ends then loosen the center mount...then beat the f-er out". ; )

orphancars
07-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Vince/Trey,

Thanks for the advice and "tricks"........I'll be out in the shop this
weekend doing some more disassembly. That 2 x 4 trick sounds more "sure".............really don't want to get whacked in the head with _any_ kind of spring :pat: steel, fiberglass, or otherwise!

I'll let ya'll know how things turn out,

-jeff d