PDA

View Full Version : Accel DFI versus Holley FI Units

Mean 69
07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Pardon me if this has been answered before, but I am looking for specific feedback concerning the available "kits" from both Holley, and Accel. The application is a 525-550HP SBC. The engine is a 383, ported heads, and a 620/585 lift solid roller cam. The engine makes only about 10" of vacuum at idle (1k RPM).

I have looked at the respective websites for additional info, but there is a limited amount on them in general. Holley's newer setup seems to come with a wide band O2, not certain on the Accel. Both kits are available with 36 lb injectors, which should(?) be fine for this power level. The car is primarily a road race type car, with street duty as a second purpose (but important). Both kits seem to be well outfitted, but are the supplied fuel pumps adequate? I am intent on going with the throttle body type kits, not the ram type manifolds.

I really just want my engine tuning problems to go away, I really don't want to get a huge education in sitting behind the computer getting things right. Comments and direct experience welcomed.

Mark

camcojb
07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
My opinion is if you are relatively new to EFI tuning, go with the Holley. The Accel is difficult, many dealers can't tune them. I've heard they've "dumbed" them down to make them simpler to tune. Also, unless it's been addressed, they have major issues with their widebands. They work for a while and then start reading screwy, with the EFI trying to compensate the tune with faulty info. Last I spoke with them they had no fix for that, other than refunding the $900. wideband option.

Jody

shanekennedy
07-19-2005, 04:21 AM
have you looked @ edelbrock's efi system

Mean 69
07-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks gent's. I have looked at the Edel. unit, it seems like the other two have more bang for the bucks. Opinions on injector size? 36 lb okay, or should I step up to 40's?

M

camcojb
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks gent's. I have looked at the Edel. unit, it seems like the other two have more bang for the bucks. Opinions on injector size? 36 lb okay, or should I step up to 40's?

M

36's will support 550 HP at 80% duty cycle (very safe) and a .45 bsfc. Should be fine unless you KNOW you'll be upping the power later.

Jody

SSMOORE
07-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Ive talked to craig smith abot the wideband issue he seems to think its resolved and with the accel you have the option to run just about any wideband you want from what he told me. Others on the turbobuik forum have said there new units are working great. But ive said this before. With fast's new XFI box coming out and it being the latest and greatest in there line some dealers are running real nice deals on the old box. It doesnt have all the features as the xfi but it might fit your needs and save you some bucks if it will do all you need of it.

steve

andrewb70
07-28-2005, 03:54 AM
The Holley kits offer the best bang for the buck. The fuel pumps that are included with the kits are high quality Walbro 255L/hr. That pump will support your power level without any issues. The wideband is optional on some of the kits and now can support either the NTK or the less expensive Bosch sensor. The NTK is included in the kits. Send me a PM and I will give you more details on anything that you have questions about.

Andrew

blown69nova
07-28-2005, 01:14 PM
You stated that you want your tuning issues to go away, and don't want a computer education so be careful, efi is NOT easier to tune than a carb and dist. Fuel injection is a whole lot more complicated than a carb. Don't get me wrong, efi is much better but don't expect it to tune itself! Good luck on your choice. Steve