PDA

View Full Version : Having no patience has cost me again!

ONDSKAN
05-02-2012, 11:28 PM
4 years ago I purchased A 1935 ford truck with the intentions of building a mild hot/rat rod sleeper. As time has past of course like any other project with the likes of 800hp..traction control and ABS brakes...it has turned into an amazing vehicle completely hand built and heading to detroit next year. which means I cannot drive it...breath on it...or even look at it funny so the show gods will poor down lavish critiques on it. HAHA. So project 2 started early last fall. 1959 Rambler 2 door wagon with a little twist...widebody with a Jeep SRT8 drivetrain! yes folks an ALL WHEEL PAVEMENT CRUSHER ..Cant wait to destroy some Porsches. PROJECT RAMBLER SRT8 heads into the frame shop in june...(tube chassis done in a GT rolex sports car roll cage style). Sean Smith is doing the renderings from SEAN SMITH DESIGNS.. teaser pics soon to come. But I'm going to have to wait some time before i get to rack up the miles on that one. Oh ya impatience is what I was talking about. Went to the goodguys show in Del mar a few weeks ago and was watching all the amazing members having a blast and cheering for each other to improve their times, helping with repairs, and discussing strategy on how to get better(cars and drivers). Great job by the way guys and gals! The cars and trucks are just sick. Now to get to the point (HAHA). Cant touch the 35 Ford till next year, Rambler wont be done till this Fall and being impatient and wanting to play on the autocross PROJECT 3 has began, but should be fairly simple to get on the course soon.

Meet EL GUAPO. 1986 Chevy (I know it says GMC but the grill, tailgate, and sticker are just for looks from the previous owner the VIN is Chevy) 1986 CHEVY STEPSIDE 454 with a 350 tranny 3.70 gears with auburn posi...ZO6 brakes... Just going to add a Roll Bar ,MSD ATOMIC EFI, and Bonspeed BIG BLOCK 20's and hope to be playing with yall real soon on the autocross. Truck arrives this week in SOCAL from New York! LOVE PRO-TOURING.COM every project his great to follow and just couldn't wait any longer to get involved.

T

tflyboy77
05-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Very cool projects. Can't wait for the AMC renderings.

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Well what can I say folks El Guapo arrived from NY and it turned out to be a real POS...Its been almost 2 years give or take a week or two and I'm finally getting around to updating this build.
NO BUENO!! all the rockers, firewall, cab floor, front window, rear window had serious cancer rust...the brakes didn't work and the engine was sluggish...sounded amazing...drove like Jello. poop flavored Jello.. to top it off the wife was not so happy with the "bad ebay purchase" and advised me to just send it to the crusher as did my mechanic, body guy, and friends. When I contacted the seller about my unsatisfied feelings and his misrepresentation of the quality of this truck he told me that he had been ripped off plenty of times and it was about time he got to rip somebody off. I know its my fault for not having a better inspection of the vehicle done before I purchased but man this was a tough one to swallow. Bye bye 8k right? Nope my ego took over. I dismantled the turd pulled engine and sold it kept frame, doors hood, fenders(which had been replaced with new ones) and bed.

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 12:21 AM
:hammer:

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 12:27 AM
So let the fun begin, I'm not going to let this guy rip me off. Yes I'm starting with a hodgepodge platform but damn it I'm going to make this sickest truck. I love Squarebodys. The first vehicle I owned was 76 Jimmy and I have always wanted to do a pro touring version of the like so I think this truck will be that one. Found a local 1973 flatbed chevy, which was being used as pesticide truck , but had a cab in real good shape for $900. Removed the cab sold the engine to a dude and the rest of it to dismantler...ended up only costing me $200:machine::jump:

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Sent it all to the Blasters came back so clean and ready to begin this build.

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Thanks to a Fesler customer upgrading his Chevelle to a Ls platform I scored this 454 RamJet with 4L80E. Thanks Fesler for shipping it so well. Which I bought through PRO-TOURING.COM:1st::firefire:

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Have so many more updates to share just have to get the pics organized...I also have had the best kind of delay a man could ask for....my first child was born and I have been in daddy world enjoying every second... now that my boy is almost a year old I can get back to this project and bring everybody up to speed. You have no idea how crazy this project has developed. Renamed BAD B8B because its just so Badass and my grandfather is known to everyone as BIG BAD BOB. This project reminds me of him, grew up in the depression, tough as nails, and is the salt of the earth......more to come soon.

craigs73
03-25-2014, 06:05 AM
sounds like B8B is going to be nasty. sorry to hear of your misfortune with the truck but congrats on the baby.....i gotta ask. soooooo can you show pics of the other cars?

novaboy009
03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
This is why people in the northeast buy cars from So Cal and have them shipped north, and not the other way around! :)

Sorry for the bad luck, but sounds like you'll have a bigger, badder ride out of the deal.

Typhoon1015
03-25-2014, 04:08 PM
have any more details on the ford truck?

snopro
03-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Im sure this truck will be worth the aggravation. Did you build the rambler?

Tig
03-25-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm sure this will turn out just as bad ass as your 35, especially with that drivetrain.

Lookin forward to your updates.

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 07:09 PM
started a thread on the ford build.... PROJECT ONDSKAN ..... I wish I knew how to add a link to
have any more details on the ford truck?

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks on the congrats.. love my boy!!!! started a thread on the ford "PROJECT ONDSKAN" but the Rambler has to wait till either chevy or ford is done ...
sounds like B8B is going to be nasty. sorry to hear of your misfortune with the truck but congrats on the baby.....i gotta ask. soooooo can you show pics of the other cars?

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
hope so man
I'm sure this will turn out just as bad ass as your 35, especially with that drivetrain.

Lookin forward to your updates.

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 07:15 PM
From your keys to the sky I hope so man!!! HAHAHA Rambler is at the back of the line for now will start on the chassis once the ford or chevy is done...
Im sure this truck will be worth the aggravation. Did you build the rambler?

ONDSKAN
03-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks for checking this build out guys

ONDSKAN
03-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Body and frame came back from Albert from www.calblast.com in Upland, Ca did both my ford and chevy....he rocks...awesome guy to do business with if your in Southern Cali...

ONDSKAN
03-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Installed the rear mounts for the www.ridetech.com level II package for 73-87 C10 trucks.....thanks Ridetech for making it so easy for a newbie like me to be able to install his own suspension....love me some Ridetech. in the front the previous owner had done some crazy bad hack job on the front suspension mounts.....if you look back at the previuos post of when the frame came back from the blaster you can see the the bubbled mount, it had wire and washers and chunks of metal in it so wierd.. I had to completely cut them out...but my boy RIck will fill them in before I Powedercoat the frame..For I have no I have no welding skills..... so sad that this was the first time I used a cutter wheel and air saw... hahaha..

ONDSKAN
03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
I then installed the control arms and 4 link.....from start to finish cuts holes drilled and bolted took about 14 hours...thanks Ridetech for making this kit so easy to install...

ONDSKAN
03-26-2014, 08:19 PM
next I installed the engine and all the new bushings and mounted the cab bed and fenders....put the previous owners corvette wheels back on (he had conversion spacers for the bolt pattern). My plans with this build was to do a modern take on some old school hot rod ideas like using design aspects and parts from other vehicles than doing a stock look with this C10...first thing that I did in that design direction was mock up the placement of a 2011 Ram 1500 bumper...crazy thing is that the width of the ram bumper was a perfect fit...stance is set a ride height with jacks...I had not installed the airbag plumbing yet... Love the way this thing sits..

ONDSKAN
03-26-2014, 08:44 PM
At this point in the Build I came to the unfortunate wall of not having the skills to do what was needed next to meet my design....build a custom Radiator support to mount 2013 Challenger Headlights...mount the ram bumper.... build a talladega style drop nose hood.....remove the stock dash and build and mount a Race car style dash....That job is for Dave Ward and Rick at Precision welding in Rialto....And once again they met all my design needs to the nines...love those guys9271292711927109270992700926999269892697927049 270292703

ONDSKAN
03-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Well we are up to date now!!!!!!...Next step is Rick building a panel for the custom grill and the grill.... fill in the vents in the shroud in front of the windshield to make it part of the hood so its one piece, and install a tilt forward hood hinge system... cant wait!!! should have pics next week!!!!:machine:

lzdick
03-27-2014, 05:16 AM
Thanks to a Fesler customer upgrading his Chevelle to a Ls platform I scored this 454 RamJet with 4L80E. Thanks Fesler for shipping it so well. Which I bought through PRO-TOURING.COM:1st::firefire:

Ooooo, no more "poop flavored Jello"...Nice.

ONDSKAN
03-27-2014, 04:16 PM
hahaha nope...Spicy BBQ Ribs now baby!!!!
Ooooo, no more "poop flavored Jello"...Nice.

keithq69
03-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Very cool build.
I like the slope at the front of the hood.
You should use that front bumper as a plug and build a mould so you can make one from carbon fiber.
That bumpers gotta weigh 30lbs.
Less weight that far forward will make a big difference.

Keith.

novajess1972
03-28-2014, 12:39 PM
When life gives you lemons...well, you know the rest.

Good on you for making the best of a bad situation.

ONDSKAN
03-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks man...not a bad idea making it carbon!!

Very cool build.
I like the slope at the front of the hood.
You should use that front bumper as a plug and build a mould so you can make one from carbon fiber.
That bumpers gotta weigh 30lbs.
Less weight that far forward will make a big difference.

Keith.

ONDSKAN
03-29-2014, 02:34 PM
yes i do know the rest.... you better have a ton of sugar! hahaha

When life gives you lemons...well, you know the rest.

Good on you for making the best of a bad situation.

ONDSKAN
04-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Trying to upload using the iPhone app. Not doing so well

ONDSKAN
04-04-2014, 07:29 AM
The grill!!! Coming together

ONDSKAN
04-04-2014, 08:33 AM
I love the look of bonneville race cars and the old one off hot rod grills you see there...this is my take on it...with a little friday the thirteenth thrown in.... the goal is to intimidate.. I think we may have accomplished that...what you think? Cant wait to see what the mesh looks like over the lights like the 60's and 70's mopars and camaros.

acegto
04-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Are you worried about having enough airflow across the radiator with that grill.? It looks cool as hell just a thought...

ONDSKAN
04-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Well we will find out...hahaha....but I think we will be alright with the slots above and under and the holes are 3" wide.
Are you worried about having enough airflow across the radiator with that grill.? It looks cool as hell just a thought...

SLAUGHTERHAUS FAB
04-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Looks great for someone with no patince. Impatience pays off?

mikewoods
04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
It looks sleepy. I love it!

ONDSKAN
04-05-2014, 09:21 PM
you got me thinking acegto

Of course it will restrict some air-flow...thats science I can't argue...but we did some math and here you go...with the surface square inch measurement of the openings going to the radiator equaling 362 surface square inches equals 2.51389 surface square feet. It should be the same as having an opening measuring 36.2"x10". Using a 3.5" to 4" radiator with cooling fans and directional vents to pull air through and installing some heat extractor vents on the hood its roughly the same airflow and cooling capabilities as a brand new 2014 stingray corvette.

Inside the bumper we will be making a tunnel that leads the air up to the bottom of the radiator and the ac/heater condenser.... I will add this... my fabricator Dave Ward builds all kinds of race cars and he feels pretty confident about this design not causing engine cooling issues.... cross your fingers... I am haha

ONDSKAN
04-05-2014, 09:22 PM
It looks sleepy. I love it!

Thanks Mike

Crestronwizard
04-06-2014, 05:57 AM
This is cool! Gave me some ideas for my truck project :)

acegto
04-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey, as long as the math checks out I'm psyched for it. I'm loving the front end as is.

ONDSKAN
04-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Hey, as long as the math checks out I'm psyched for it. I'm loving the front end as is.

I hope our math checks out too. Hahaha.

ONDSKAN
04-08-2014, 10:57 PM
This is cool! Gave me some ideas for my truck project :)

Nice. Thanks Geoff

ONDSKAN
05-18-2014, 06:51 AM
well fab work is done on the grille for now.

ONDSKAN
05-18-2014, 06:54 AM
still fiddling with hood but its getting there.

ONDSKAN
05-18-2014, 06:59 AM
rick made these amazing latches and modified the universal tilt forward kit from autoloc... works like a charm

ONDSKAN
05-18-2014, 07:01 AM
one piece hood all the way to the glass...going super smooth with the no wipers...I guess that makes it an easy decision to not drive in the rain.. haha we are going to put a single wiper on the top old school hot rod style

ONDSKAN
05-18-2014, 07:18 AM
moving on and are going to start fab work on the bed and doors!! updates soon

acegto
08-03-2014, 06:20 AM
Any Updates? Excited to see more of the truck

ONDSKAN
04-18-2015, 08:14 PM
I'M BACK! Finally able to get back to sharing this project progress with you. My Fabricator and I moved shops and the first night at the new shop I had all my gear,parts and tools in my car hauler and someone made a hell of score...yup i got robbed!!! they took 80% of this build and a few things from my other build https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/105986-PROJECT-ONDSKAN-800HP-1935-Ford-Truck NO F*CKING FUN. That being said and what was going on in my life (explained in the ONDSKAN thread) things are rolling again thanks to insurance company actually doing their job!!! Here are some pics of progress. Roll Cage, Accuair, Fender flares with spacers, Engine strut bar, and the Wheels!

ONDSKAN
04-18-2015, 08:23 PM
More pics

ONDSKAN
04-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Believe it or not a F250 rear seat fits perfect in the cab.....using the seat frame and will build a custom bolstered style racing seat! BAD BOB is getting ever so closer ........MORE TO COME!!!!