PDA

View Full Version : Does your LS1 overheat too?

powermetal
07-18-2005, 02:05 PM
I have a '69 Camaro with a 2002 LS1, stock except for some headers and the computer tune. I've also got an aluminum radiator, a 160-degree thermostat, and electric fans that come on at 160. Everything is great as long at the RPMs are about 1000 or higher...the temp stays at 180, even in the Texas heat.

The problem is at idle the temp starts to climb and will go over 250. No drive-thru windows for me! It's like the stock water pump doesn't have enough flow at idle to get the hot water into the radiator. I can put the car into neutral and rev the engine to 1500 or so and the water temp cools off.

Has anyone else here experienced this problem? I know they make an electric water pump but I was hoping there was a better solution.

Steve

Wildron
07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
i'd be willing to bet it air pockets.ls1's can be a pain in the butt to get all the air out of the cooling system

Steve1968LS2
07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Nope.. never did, even when sitting in traffic for a LONG time..

Custom crossflow radiator.. Mezeire elec water pump.. Dual SPAL fans running on independent fan relays..

almost ran too cold at 180..

powermetal
07-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Hmmm...I've got about 500 miles on the car since it was "finished" this year and the radiator stays full, right up to the cap. I can't imagine it's air bubbles.

Hey Steve, what is your opinion of the Mezeire pump? I like the idea and I think it would solve the overheating problem, but I'm worried about it's reliability on a driver and also it's strain on the electrical system with the A/C, fuel pump, and headlights on.

Thanks for the comments,

Steve

ertoys
07-19-2005, 11:00 AM
i'd be willing to bet it air pockets.ls1's can be a pain in the butt to get all the air out of the cooling system

I bet he is correct I had an 01 Z06 that I put a 180 hypertech stat in, I followed the instructions which came with the new T-stat and STILL saw 220-230 even with adjusting my fans with the diablo sport tuner.

I took it to a mechanic, he fixed it no problem by purging the system! there is a special process and if you do not follow it exactly....you have issues.

If you are seeing 250 I would not drive the car except to a dealer.

powermetal
07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey ertoys,

Were you seeing 220-230 all the time, or only at idle like me?

Steve

ertoys
07-20-2005, 05:35 AM
I saw that temp. while driving and idling. But as soon as I saw it reach that temp. I headed home. I would not risk running at those temps unless I had to.

Have a GM mechanic purge your coolant system and you will no longer run that hot.

After the mechanic purged mine I consistantly ran 190 degrees. And never over even on hot summer days.

Charley Lillard
07-20-2005, 06:14 AM
It sounds like you are not moving enough air thru the radiator at idle. You have fans but do you have a good shroud ? At idle does it feel like the fans are really pulling air thru ?

ProjectJ
07-20-2005, 06:32 AM
I hear the LS2 pump is supposed to fit the LS1 (not verified personally though) and it is an upgrade. Supposedly it has better bearings and is more efficient (more flow w/o more drag). You might want to look into that. I would have to agree that it sounds like either air in the system or maybe that the fans are not coming on or maybe wired incorrectly, causing them to blow hot engine bay air through the radiator when you stop. Usually to burp the cooling system on LS1 cars I put the nose of the car in the air (jack-stands or ramp) and take the cap off the radiator. Let it get up to temp and rev it up a few times(out of gear of course :) ) while looking for bubbles to rise out of the coolant. When there are no bubbles under a load... you're done.

andrewb70
07-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Do you have the heater hoses hooked up? If they are not going to a heater core, you need to make a loop.

Where is the front crossover tube routed?

Andrew

1971ssls1
08-03-2005, 09:23 PM
sorry to dig this up, but i am seeing the same thing at idle with my ls1(160 tstat, alum rad, dueal fans) except, i had a obd2 scanner plugged in while it was happening, and the temp sensor that reads for the ecu was reading 195 while the autometer was reading 230+. Then i used one of those infared temp guages and both heads along with the upper hose and everything were all reading btween 170-190*. I am beginning to think that the sender for the guage is acting kinda funny. i believe that the water exiting the radiator reaches the passenger rear of the head(where my guage sender is located) before it reaches the driver cyl head correct?

powermetal
08-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey Andrew-

The heater hoses are hooked up. I'm not sure what you mean by "crossover tube". All steam lines are hooked up, and the radiator hose exits the water pump, makes a 90-degree turn towards the driver's side, and enters the radiator.

1971ssls1-

That is very interesting. I also have Auto Meter gauges. If you look at the photo I attached, you can see the Auto Meter temp sensor was attached to the top of the water pump, so the gauge would be reading the water temp right before it gets to the radiator. Is this a bad location? How can I check to see if water is flowing when the motor is hot and at idle?

Thanks for all the input guys...

Steve

1971ssls1
08-04-2005, 10:03 PM
see, thats what makes it weird, i had a data scanner plugged in and it was reading the sensor on the driver side head in the front and it was way below what the autometer was reading, so i dont know what to think