PDA

View Full Version : '69 Firebird - Project Reconciliation

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
My project isn't going to be as high end of a build as most I see on here, but I'm building what I like on a budget. So a few years ago I purchased a 1969 Firebird.

I've attached a few pictures of the car as it was when I purchased it and the last picture showing how far it had settled into the dirt.

Restoration has begun and I'll be adding pictures of the progress that has already been made and the final product when completed soon. Let me know what you guys think.

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Both rear quarters had a small amount of rust around the wheel wells that were patched, both front fenders needed small patches at the bottom of the fenders, the passenger door had a small patch in the front bottom section of the door, the rail along the back glass was patched and the floor pan was replaced with a new 1 piece pan.

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
The car was disassembled and hung on the rotisserie for the under carriage to be painted and sealed.

The rear end appears to have been replaced in this car at some point in time with a GM 8.5 10 bolt.

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
The firewall was smoothed. SSBC disk brakes added for woah power and paint applied to the pans.

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Additions to this point:
2" drop spindles
Moroso big block coil springs
WS6 Power steering sector
New drag-link, pitman arm, idler arm and tie rods
1.5" drop rear multi-leafs
G-tech high performance front and rear sway bars
rear shock relocation kit
kyb shocks
energy suspension bushings
SSBC front disc brakes with 12" slotted rotors
C4 corvette discs on the rear with 12" slotted and drilled rotors
subframe connectors
heavy duty traction bars

We mocked the front fender up and put the wheels and tires on to get a feel for the ride height. I was less than pleased. Notice the raised height with the new 1.5" drop leaf springs... After everything is back on the car I'm going to see where the stance ends up and have the springs de-arched. Opinions?

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 04:52 PM
'74 Trans Am 455

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 04:55 PM
'69 m21

Blue Bayou
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Pictures of the body painted. Still quite a bit to do!

dug
04-25-2012, 05:00 PM
hey, expensive build or "budget" build it don't matter. You've done a lot of nice work it seems so far. keep it up. As far as the leafs go, kind of weird.

LeighP
04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Wait till its all together...mine changed its stance when everything was back on the car...plus they settle a little, too.
Nice job!

T_Raven
04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Looks really good so far

70Uglybird
04-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Looks amazing budget or not looks pretty thorough. Great color, whats great about 2nd gens is if you can pull off the right color and spend some money on rollers you can pull off the high $$ look for relatively inexpensive. Looks like a well thought out build that will be a blast when its done! Can't wait to see how it goes back together!

ehummelman
04-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Sweet, another 69 Bird! The rear will drop a little more, but honestly not that much. I would get either 2 or 3" drop leafs in the back. Also definitely move your battery back there, that'll add a bit of weight.

Blue Bayou
02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
It's been a long time since I've updated this thread so I thought I'd put out an update.

After several months of little to no progress on the car I went and picked the car up from the shop it was at to finish it myself. Once we got it back to my friends shop we discovered that the repairs that I was told had new sheet metal welded in was just bondo'd over and had rust bubbling under the paint, major runs in the paint, DA marks visible in the paint, visible dents in multiple places on the car and the list just went on and on.

We decided to take the car back to bare sheet metal to know exactly what we were working with and to straighten the body and crisp the lines. Here are some pics of what we found...

Blue Bayou
02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
At this point we had sanded both doors, trunk and roof down to bare metal to check everything that was supposed to have been fixed. At this point, of the 2 patches we had found, they were bad fitting rusted pieces of metal that were patched in. Small rust holes as indicated in the previous picture I posted were found in a few spots. The rust that coincided with the dent in the passenger quarter made us to decide to go ahead and use the short quarter panels I had for the car. (really glad those didn't sell at the swap meet over the summer)

Here are some pics of the work that had been re-done to this point.

Blue Bayou
02-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Here are some pics of the car with the first guide coat applied. I also added a picture of a patch that we cut out and replaced on the fender.

Blue Bayou
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Here are some pics of the second guide coat. At this point the subframe and rear suspension had been removed and the car placed on the body jig. Both quarters were replaced and the drivers side pedastal on the rear spoiler had to be built up with some fiberglass to fit correctly.

Blue Bayou
02-02-2013, 10:20 AM
For New Year's we went to visit my dad in Texas and when I came back, my friend had laid the new color!

Blue Bayou
02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Wheel well moldings, emblems, weatherstrip, window fuzzies, headliner, sail panels, hushmat, rear spoiler, and all new gas and brake lines have been installed and are ready to go.

The subframe is back under the car as is the rear suspension.

Lots of work left to do!

BirdsThaWord
02-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Nice! She's gonna be one nice 'Bird when your done. Dig the color!

CodexGigas
02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I would've Raised Hell in that Body Shop for that hack Job, I would've wanted My Money back. No way was I Walking out of there.

Blue Bayou
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks Bird! Definitely making good progress on the car now.

Codex - I was thankful to get my car and the majority of my parts out of his shop without having to get the law involved. I believe a few of my parts had been swapped with items from his buddies '69 bird, but then you have to prove what was yours and what wasn't. In the long run it really wasn't worth it, again I was just thankful to get my car and most of my stuff and be done with that shop.

Blue Bayou
02-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Wow... And the hits keep coming... I received a phone call this morning from the shop my car is stored in and was told that the shop had been broken into last night and that I needed to get over there ASAP. Don't have any pics uploaded yet but will post a few one I get them uploaded.

Sadly, I know who did this and I have a feeling he's been following my project threads on one of the forums I post to. If you are, enjoy your time free because Justice will find you.

Ron.in.SoCal
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Wow BB. I hope you nail the focker!

ws6_mac
02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Nice work

rickpaw
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Blue Bayou
02-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Well, here are a few pictures that I finally got uploaded. I'm not going to give too many details because I think the person responsible is following this thread. 7125771258712597126071261

JHunter
02-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Holy crap! I hope you're able to prove who did that and take them to court. That is insane. I assume that no other cars in the shop were damaged? I'm really sorry to see that happen to you.

nicke
02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow... I have never seen anything like this.... Was yours the only car that was targeted?

makoshark
02-13-2013, 02:10 AM
The person responsible for this doesn't need to function within society. This person shows clear signs of immaturity at the highest level. They need to never enter a court room. Find the largest tree in front of the court and hang their a$$. That type of vindictive behavior deserves the harshest punishment possible.

im4u2nvss
02-13-2013, 04:21 AM
Very sad to see what someone did to your car. Way to much hard work for some A**Hole to ruin! Hope there was some sort of insurance on the car to help get it back in shape.

BirdsThaWord
02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
OMG! Freaking idiot! So sorry that happened man. Sucks! Sucks! Sucks!!!!!!

turboclevor
02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
HOLY CRAP! I'd like to see their car have that done to it ten times over!

67TXStang
02-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Damn. I'd be ready to kill someone.

MARBIL
02-14-2013, 07:26 PM
I think ya all need to form yourself a posse! and like makoshark said, don't forget the rope.

19,69camaro
02-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Bright side is at least they didn't smash up any panels. Hope that d-bag gets what coming to them!

BirdsThaWord
02-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Bright side is at least they didn't smash up any panels. Hope that d-bag gets what coming to them!

That's true! Good way to look at it. Maybe the stuff on the car can be removed/buffed out? I'm no paint guy, but would hope that it could be. I know that can't be done on the motor (nooks and crannies), but hope you can on the body. Best of luck brother!

srh3trinity
02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
That is pretty low. Let's hope there are some consequences for the responsible party. As far as the car goes, keep pressing forward. It is going to be great when it is done.

Ron.in.SoCal
02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Just thinking out loud here. Did a (crazy) chick do this?

Buryingthesun
02-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Oh man, sorry to see this happen. Please don't get discouraged and stick with it!

6T9FirebirdConv
02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
That sux man, I have a 69 convertible bird and I cant even imagine that happening to my baby! Best of luck catching that SOB!

LeighP
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
So I'm guessing you know who did this....what happened to them?
poor little thing, didn't their mommy hug them enough when they were little?

Lenie
02-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Cowards!

Stovebolter
02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
That is so disappointing someone has nothing better to with their life than try to destroy someone else's hard work. That is really low. Sorry this happened to you man. Hope you got the police to check for prints? Maybe they were stupid enough to leave prints....and have a record!

David