PDA

View Full Version : Basic "How to use a hydraulic press"?

derekf
07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Can any of y'all give me a pointer to some sort of basic learning on how to use a press?

I would have thought it was self-explanatory up until the point where I started doing it. Now I'm pretty sure I'm screwing up and I don't think I can blame the cheapie press.

Any good docs? They don't have to be online, I'm OK with ordering a book if that's what I need.

Matt@RFR
07-17-2005, 08:41 PM
What's going on? It should be "up", "down", and making sure the work doesn't squirt out at very high speeds and cut you in half.

David Pozzi
07-17-2005, 08:47 PM
The best I can offer is to stop by a repair or fabrication shop and ask for a quick lesson, or go by a school autoshop. Look for a school textbook covering it. Many shop manuals show specific methods of pressing bearings, etc.

If you describe exactly what you want to do, we may be able to help, a photo would be nice with it in the press.

I can say in general you want to get bearings you are pressing in, or on to line up as straight as possible and make whatever you are pressing it onto or into clean and lightly lubed.

It's very easy to start pressing on a slight angle and get stuck. If you have a press tool, a piece of tube or shaft you put against the bearing, then the length helps you line up straighter.

David Pozzi
07-20-2005, 07:13 PM
I think Timken has info on pressing bearings and seals. You might check their website.