PDA

View Full Version : lugnuts.... is there a superior?

dcrider69
04-23-2012, 07:38 AM
I was curious if there is a company that everyone tends to use or just the normal taiwan lugs? What about aluminum lugnuts, anyone use them or bad idea? Thanks in advance!

Bryce
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
I use McGard. The chrome is great and the threads have no issues coming on and off repeatedly.

I think the aluminum lugs would actually have thread wear going on and off as much as my wheels do.

LS1-IROC
04-24-2012, 02:01 AM
What's the general consensus on aluminum lugs? I have my wheels on and off several times during the season...was thinking aluminum would not hold up as well?

jpgolf14
04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
McGard lugs are awesome. The machine work on them is much better than average and they look great to. Regarding aluminum lugs. I know many Porsche's use them stock. A well designed one would work fine. The problem is finding good ones. For me, the weight difference is to small and way to close to the center of rotation to worry about.

Motorcitydak
04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
I use McGard. The chrome is great and the threads have no issues coming on and off repeatedly.

I think the aluminum lugs would actually have thread wear going on and off as much as my wheels do.

Lol, I have thought about that too with mine. I have considered replacing my lug nuts and studs for fear that i have worn them down over the years. Im referring to the ones on my truck, I would do something to it just about every week and usually zip a tire off and on with an impact gun.

As for the aluminum, they will obviously wear out against the steel wheel studs. They are also going to be longer than a steel nut which requires a longer wheel stud. The weight savings is minimal and something that none of us have to think about. If you have a radio, more than 1 seat, carpets or sound deadening in your car, lug nuts are the wrong place to look for weight savings

As for the OP's question, I have never heard of or seen a lug nut failure. Any brand out there will be fine for you. Head to the auto parts store and get a set or order whatever you want online and move on to the next thing your car needs

DEIVIONCRX
04-26-2012, 07:06 AM
If you get aluminum ones i would make sure they are a high quality alloy and are forged. Also be sure to put some anti seize on the studs, to keep them from galling.

mikes2nd
07-21-2016, 10:45 AM
don't do "light weight" the tenths of a pound are not worth the risks.

Get gorilla or Mcguard.

Mcgard is the higher quality. I've had sets of gorillas rust...

kimosabi
07-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Not sure about the quality of aftermarket aluminum lug nuts, but I pulled the wheels off a Porsche 928 once and boy was I surprised about the lug nuts. They weighed almost nothing. Yes, a 928 from the late 70's early 80's.