PDA

View Full Version : Too high release on clutch pedal??

yody
07-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a mcleod twin disc B+B clutch in my 71 firebird with 454. It is a Z bar type clutch linkage with adjustable heim joint end links/bars. For some reason I can't get the clutch to let out sooner. This clutch is a 0 mileage rebuilt clutch. I got it used with only 20 dragstrip passes on it. I sent it in to get it rebuilt and they said it was in really good condition, but they rebuilt it anyway. When i let out the clutch pedal, the car doesn't move until the pedal is almost all the way up. I have tried adjusting all of the links but with no improvement. I called mcleod, and they said it is possible the clutch just needs to break in?? What could cause this?

Hurst - Jeff
07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Would causes this is that excess marcel (fuzz) on the clucth surface when it is new. After you put a few miles on it (normal driving) the "fuzz" will get worn off and you should be able to adjust your clutch better. That is what they mean by breaking it in.
This assumes that your clucth fork is adjusted properly.

yody
07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
well i think the fork is adjusted correctly, i have a slight angle towards the clutch when the pedal is up. Have you actually experienced this same thing?

wickedmotorhead
07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Change the motion ratio of the Z-bar. You are gonna have to hack off the arm and remount it to effectivley change its motion ratio..... which will change the engagement feel and where it releases. Plus you can then add a re-inforcement for the increase in P-Plate resistance.

(PS: This is chicane. I hacked Squirrly's account).... (again)

GMJim
07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Yodi
Do you have any free play at the top of the pedal travel?
Jim