PDA

View Full Version : MSD ignition box failure

ss dave
07-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Just purchased my third MSD 6AL box for my 69 Camaro. Second one failed similar to the first. Worked fine one minute next- DEAD. Both occured after a wash but the second was several starts after a bath. The box is mounted up front behind the grill on the bracket for the hood latch. The right hand side of the box (letters right to left) is facing up. Was cafeful this time with the water and the box didn't feel wet. The positive is mounted on a power terminal with other feeds off of it, could this be the culprit? ground appears OK. thanks for any advice, don't want to buy another box!

Matt@RFR
07-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Dave, you didn't, by chance, do any welding on the car, did you?

Your power supply to the box shouldn't be a problem, and if the ground is ok, then :dunno:

deadcarny
07-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Honestly, MSD's quality has gone to crap in the last couple years. I have been on the 4th gen scene for the last 5-6 years and have seen enough MSD problems to last the rest of my life. Because of this, I used a Mallory 685 digital box and it was awesome! I have suggested it to everybody else since, and have never heard of anybody that was unsatisfied with it!

So here is my advice.... SCRAP THE ANALOG MSD! Get a Mallory 685 and then enjoy all the features from the Digital CD ignition without MSD's pricetag.

Here is a link to it! (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&Ntt=mallory+685&N=0&part=MAA%2D685&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch)

ss dave
07-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Just got home from working OOT. been gone all week. Took advantage of my time away to have a few things done to the car. had the passenger side mirror installed, grab handle over the glove box, heater contol fixed, header molding replaced, minor body touch-up. When finished the body guys took the car for a "test drive", got the msg. on my cell that it just died-had to push it in. Looks like I'm in for my 4th *#@^ box! can't catch a break! I'll know more in the am.

yody
07-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Sorry but if you wiped 4 msd boxes there is something else wrong

ss dave
07-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Yea, hit me on the head. I'm moving the power and the ground to the battery, checking wiring. Maybe I'm thick but it's probably the ground. Can't wait to get my foot back on the the rutter and feel rubbber on the road.

ss dave
07-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Update for future reference. Found that the small red (starter wire)was attached to the old coil wire that has a resistor. Moved that wire to a direct 12v. ignition terminal. The ground could have been the culprit, therefore connected it directly to the battery. Finally, we attached the box to the frame using the supplied rubber mounts. Works now. We'll send the boxes in for autopsy and final diagnosis.

CAMAROBOY69
07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Glad you found the possible problem. There is no reason you should go thru that many boxes like yody said.

ss dave
07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks, I should have insisted that my mechanic check out the problem after the first one failed, but he insisted that he had NEVER had one fail. The second one failed on Saturday, 2 hours before the largest car show in the state. I made it to the show with the help of my bro and his friend. (had a great time and even won a garage light). At that time I thought it was probably the ground-did some muckin' with it and thought I would have enough time/box life to get it in the body shop for the above work. Friday nite 6p. the work done, test drive, the body guys got 2 blocks, coasted it back to the shop. Runs great now. By the way the body guy, Dave, asked if I had a kill switch on the car-since it just died on him. I figured it was the box but instead I told him I had installed a fingerprint reconigition system in the steering wheel that would id that I was not the driver and shut off the car in less than 2 blocks. His response: "Really?"

CAMAROBOY69
07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
I told him I had installed a fingerprint reconigition system in the steering wheel that would id that I was not the driver and shut off the car in less than 2 blocks. His response: "Really?"
Really is right! Thats a really cool idea. :icon996: