PDA

View Full Version : Advice on affordable shocks for Hotchkis 3 inch drop coils/leaf car??

uraceulose
04-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I am in the market for some good all around shocks that won't ride too crazy harsh but still provide good handling. Not looking for Cadillac type ride but not looking for 800 lb/inch type stuff either.

Anyone running a similar setup or have any thoughts?

Thank you,

Donnie

Rod
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I would use a QA1 adjustable or a set of ridetech adjustable

With the QA1,s I run my car on settings #3 front and #2 rear for daily driving with a soft ride, I have come to like the car running at the autocross track #5 front and #4 rear

my car also has Hotchkis front coils and rear leafs with Hotchkis sub frame connectors and Hotchkis handle bars, hope that helps

uraceulose
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you, yes it does. :)

I will check them out tomorrow.

Donnie

I would use a QA1 adjustable or a set of ridetech adjustable

With the QA1,s I run my car on settings #3 front and #2 rear for daily driving with a soft ride, I have come to like the car running at the autocross track #5 front and #4 rear

my car also has Hotchkis front coils and rear leafs with Hotchkis sub frame connectors and Hotchkis handle bars, hope that helps

Rod
04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
those were the single adjustable style, if that helps

dhutton
04-13-2012, 03:20 AM
What about the Hotchkis Bilstein shocks that are valved to run with those springs?

BonzoHansen
04-13-2012, 04:44 AM
What about the Hotchkis Bilstein shocks that are valved to run with those springs?

+1.

Vicinity
04-13-2012, 05:17 AM
+1.

+2.

David Pozzi
04-13-2012, 05:37 AM
The Hotchkis Bilsteins are great, for more adjustability, I lIke the Ride Tech Single adjust shocks.

bret
04-13-2012, 06:25 AM
The Bilstein shock is one of the only other monotube shocks available in this market. Its a nice piece, but not adjustable. Talk to Hotchkis about the RideTech SA shock [rebound adjustable]. We can configure any of our coilover lengths into a stand alone shock. Hotchkis will know proper lenght dimensions for their system and they can sell you the RideTech units directly.

uraceulose
04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks so much. I had heard of the Bilsteins in the past being too stiff?

Will call hotchkis today and ask about the Ridetech's for sure.

I like the option of adjust-ability on shocks.

Thanks again,

Donnie

dhutton
04-13-2012, 09:35 AM
I think 3 inch drop leafs will be relatively harsh no matter what shock you use. The spring rate is quite high if I remember right.

uraceulose
04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I called Hotchkis and they're closed today through the weekend.
I really need to get these things ordered so hopefully I can get it to the show next weekend.
Would i more than likely be better off to just go with the ride tech SA's or the Hotchkis bilsteins?

If the adjustables provide a decently better ride quality while still having the option to stiffen it up for track days or auto-x..I'd rather just go that route.

David and Bret, i know you're pretty well versed in this dept along with most who frequent here

Thanks,

Donnie

uraceulose
04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Bret,
After re-reading i see that you meant I should talk to Hotchkis first to be sure I get the correct length shocks?
And that they'll more than likely advise me to run either their (Hotchkis valved) bilsteins or the ride tech SA's based on my probable budget and what I've said that I'm hoping for?

Thanks again,

Donnie

MCB Matt
04-17-2012, 09:59 AM
We just picked up a 69 camaro with hotchkis 3" rear leafs and hotchkis (Bilstein) shocks.

It does ride good, probably a little on the harsh side but they are a good shock and they are tuned to Hotchkis rates.

On the other hand they will go bye bye in favor of Ridetech 4 link with adjustables anyways.

I like to be able to dial in my suspension the way I want it....everyone has their own opinions on ride quality, thats the problem with fixed valved shocks.

Let me know if you need further advice/help....we sell it all and are glad to help!

MCB

Erik Beckett
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey Matt, I sent you a PM!

Erik

uraceulose
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Well I finally got a hold of someone at Hotchkis. It took 3 phone calls waiting on hold for 15 minutes but I got someone..left a message and waited a few hours in between phone call number 2 and 3.
The guy said basically he didn't know anything about the ridetechs personally. BUT, he knew that they (Hotchkis) ran them on one of their cars BUT those were in a coil over design.

He also said that they recommend the Bilsteins but again he couldn't give any feedback other that that he'd ridden in the Hotchkis car equipped with ridetechs (however they were coilovers) and he didn't know if they were the single or double adjustables.
So, a lot of help he was and I guess I'll give the Bilsteins a shot..the ride quality isn't priority as much as handling, I just don't want it to rattle my teeth out.

Thanks again,

Donnie

BonzoHansen
04-18-2012, 06:14 AM
the bilsteins will not rattle your teeth out

MCB Matt
04-18-2012, 08:01 AM
The bilsteins are the second best choice, or #1 based on budget.

Stock on them can be iffy with Hotchkis, give us a call, we may have a set on the shelf...

Matt

MCB Matt
04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Erik, PM replied.

Thanks
Matt