PDA

View Full Version : 69 Alignment specs?

killer69
07-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Just put some 19" and 20" HRE's on my 69 and also bear front and rear brakes, i did a cheep for now lowering job with cut front coils and 2" blocks on the multileaf rear, tubular arms to come,had an alignment done and the shop told me that the stock specs are all they could do with out specific numbers.
I wonder how good an alignment shop is when the customer needs to bring the actuall specs, anyway there are NO good alignment shops around and would like some input as to what the best numbers to use would be. the car wanders now like it doesn't have enough caster??? any help?

chicane67
07-16-2005, 07:36 PM
-0.500 to -0.750 camber (....at a minimum. I would do -0.75 to -1.00 at least)
+3.000 to +3.750 castor (....max it out as far as you can go without effecting camber)
0 to 1/16" to in (....1/16" in to start with. You may even want to go as far as 1/8 to 3/16" toe out)

gen3bu
07-18-2005, 03:28 PM
i usually do -.25 to -.75 camber, 3.0 to 7.0 degrees caster (depending on the driver and car) and near 0 toe (toe in on rwd and toe out on fwd)

my daily driver has @ +0.5 camber and 5.0 to 5.5 caster. soon to get redone. my brothers 3 rd gen t/a is 0.5 camber both sides, 6.5 caster, and 0.1* toe-in. handles like it is on rails!!! he is affraid to push it, 25 mph turns @ 60 and still has more.

gen3bu
07-18-2005, 03:29 PM
where are you located btw?

chicane67
07-18-2005, 06:50 PM
First off.......

1) You are not going to get more than +3.5 caster in a stock subframe with stock UCA/LCA's. Were not dealing with a third gen.

2) That isnt near enough static negative camber to help with the associated tire wear.... from the stock geometry not actually having a working camber cure to begin with. This is 35+ year old geometry were dealing with. Where not dealing with a third gen.

3) And a second, third or fourth gen are not anywhere near the same geometrically (suspension-wize). And an alignment spec from one will not work with the other.

4) Were not dealing with a third gen.....

gen3bu
07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
First off.......

1) You are not going to get more than +3.5 caster in a stock subframe with stock UCA/LCA's. Were not dealing with a third gen.

2) That isnt near enough static negative camber to help with the associated tire wear.... from the stock geometry not actually having a working camber cure to begin with. This is 35+ year old geometry were dealing with. Where not dealing with a third gen.

3) And a second, third or fourth gen are not anywhere near the same geometrically (suspension-wize). And an alignment spec from one will not work with the other.

i understand that we are not dealing with a third gen. it is a 69 as stated in the title. i also understand that all gens of f-bodies are different. re-read the first sentance again (IT DEPENDS ON THE CAR AND DRIVER). I GET THE HINT.

gen3bu
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
First off.......

i understand that we are not dealing with a third gen. it is a 69 as stated in the title. i also understand that all gens of f-bodies are different. re-read the first sentance again (IT DEPENDS ON THE CAR AND DRIVER). I GET THE HINT. anyway my dd is a 1993 sonoma. it you want some extra caster get some offset cross shaftsand play with the alignment.

oh by the way its not a third gen - chill out, i put that in as an example. if you are determined you can make anything happen!

chicane67
07-19-2005, 07:37 PM
if you are determined you can make anything happen!

But back here on earth, we are not dealing with a third gen.

(BTW, I am just poking you in the ole ribz. I dont know why I though it was funny but.... it must have been the day I had. And were not dealing with a third gen)

gen3bu
07-20-2005, 07:50 PM
back on topic - i will be doing a resto alignment on a 69 soon and i will see where i can get it to.

killer69
07-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks alot Guys i will take the numbers to the alignment shop tomorrow morning and see if they can even get close to these numbers and i will let you know what it is like.
I have herd that even the off set of the wheels can have a drastic effect on the way it should be alligned???? another topic i guess, i also really wish i could figure out how to post pics any help

chicane67
07-20-2005, 09:11 PM
As per Global west:

Driver side / Passenger side
Caster 2 degree’s positive / Caster 2 ½ degree’s positive
Camber ½ to ¾ degree negative / Camber ½ to ¾ degree negative
Set toe to toe-in (3/32 total) / Set toe to toe-in (3/32 total)

As per DSE:

Caster 5 degree's positive / Caster 5 degree's positive
Camber ½ degree negative / Camber ½ degree negative
Set toe to toe-in (1/16 total) / Set toe to toe-in (1/16 total) 1/8 overall

As per Guldstrand:

Caster 3 degree's positive / Caster 3 ½ degree's positive
Camber 3/4 to 1 degree negative / Camber 3/4 to 1 degree negative
Set toe to toe-in (1/16 total) / Set toe to toe-in (1/16 total) 1/8 overall

As per chicane:

If you run higher spring rates like, 720 front and 320 rear, and with the ride height set to 'designed ride height'.... with a stock sub frame/control arms/geometry you can run:

Caster at 3.5 degree's positive, driver/passenger side
Camber at -1.75 degrees negative, driver/passenger side
Set toe to zero to 1/8" toe out.

gen3bu
07-21-2005, 05:36 PM
will those specs work on a third gen?

chicane67
07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Well, yeah.... but it isnt optimum. The/a third gen can get away with much more than that, in stock form.

It depends on what you are gonna do with the chassis, but, I would set for around +5.5 caster, -0.75 camber with around 3/32 toe in.... for starters.

gen3bu
07-28-2005, 07:49 PM
i did a 69 rs/ss bbc 4 speed yesterday and i got a max of -2.0* camber and 4.5* caster at the same time. less camber would cause less caster, but i did get that much adjustment on both sides. i ended up setting it at -0.5* camber and 2.5* caster (non-p/s)

kevin