PDA

View Full Version : Non leaf spring rear suspension suggestion for mini tubbed 68 Camaro with 345's?

Blevinator
04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Hello,
I have been looking at Speed Techs torque arm setup for the rear of my car.
I am wondering what some of you guys are using as far as types,brands, and pricing.
Speed Techs setup is nice, but heavy and is $1999. Want to see how this compares with
whats out there. I am planning on either a Ford 9" or built 12 bolt rear end, as I will be running
close to 800hp. I will be using an aftermarket notched gas tank, no fuel cell. Mostly street use. Need something that will help put power to the pavement, and keep
tha car straight. No leaf spring setups, as I need them out of the way.
Please post up what you recommend!!!! Thank you!

Vortech404
04-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Blevinator,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also looking into the SpeedTech torque arm suspension. I have almost all thier front suspension collected.
Not sure how heavy it is but maybee its close to what the leafs weight is so it could be a wash.
Just wanted to know if you are doing the work installing the suspension. I will probably go with Speedtech because it's almost a bolt on.Welding is only in
a couple spots. I was to told the DSE Quadra-link install takes 70-80 hrs at the shop rate not including disassembly and any painting needed.
Don't know if that matter's to you or not but that install cost could buy you some more parts.

Later
John

MuscleRodz
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
what are you using for front suspension?

Also Quadralink install is more like 40-50 hours less tubs on a first gen not including disassembly or painting.

Vortech404
04-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Mike you are correct. That was including the price of the tubs.

SR71
04-08-2012, 03:33 PM
the speedtech tq arm and ridetech airbar are the best bang for the buck imo.

I really wanted a tq arm, so I went with speedtech. the bmr is beautiful, but man are they proud of it. my speedtech is very functional and was more affordable. I still jumped on the ridetech bandwagon with their shocks.

also, no problems getting the car really low unlike some of the tri 4-links I have heard about.

Blevinator
04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
what are you using for front suspension?

Also Quadralink install is more like 40-50 hours less tubs on a first gen not including disassembly or painting.

I have Global West upper and lower control arms.
I am thinking stock spindle with tall ball joints and Speedtech coilover kit.
Have only purchased the control arms so far.

Blevinator
04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
the speedtech tq arm and ridetech airbar are the best bang for the buck imo.

I really wanted a tq arm, so I went with speedtech. the bmr is beautiful, but man are they proud of it. my speedtech is very functional and was more affordable. I still jumped on the ridetech bandwagon with their shocks.

also, no problems getting the car really low unlike some of the tri 4-links I have heard about.

Sounds good.
Can you lower the car with just the Speedtech kit?

Blevinator
04-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Blevinator,
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also looking into the SpeedTech torque arm suspension. I have almost all thier front suspension collected.
Not sure how heavy it is but maybee its close to what the leafs weight is so it could be a wash.
Just wanted to know if you are doing the work installing the suspension. I will probably go with Speedtech because it's almost a bolt on.Welding is only in
a couple spots. I was to told the DSE Quadra-link install takes 70-80 hrs at the shop rate not including disassembly and any painting needed.
Don't know if that matter's to you or not but that install cost could buy you some more parts.

Later
John

I was aware the Speedtech would save time, but didnt know the others took that long. Thanks!
BTW, I have DSE tubs installed with a notched rear frame.

TheJDMan
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I really have no complaints with the Alston G-Link 4 link system and my 335's. The only change I had to make was installing 8-200 springs in order to get the ride height where I wanted it. The ride quality is surprisingly good.

SR71
04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
easily. I have a longer shock than speedtech designed the kit around. my shocks are 5.2" stroke front and rear. it took some doing to fit that shock in the front. :banghead:

exwestracer
04-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Speed Tech says their torque arm setup actually reduces unsprung weight compared to the stock multi-leaf setup.

silver69camaro
04-09-2012, 07:33 AM
If you want to get rid of the 2x3 U-channel "rails", look at our rear clip. More pricey, but you'll pick up the chassis stiffness quite a bit and you wont have to worry about using that much power.

Blevinator
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Speed Tech says their torque arm setup actually reduces unsprung weight compared to the stock multi-leaf setup.

Copied from Speed Techs site.

The torque arm has the advantage of a fixed Instant Center location, and a fairly long swing arm length. A torque arm doesn't allow anywhere near the amount of axle wrap we get with a short/long 3 or 4 link. There is very little pinion angle change or driveshaft slip. Also, it is typically a very easy install, requires minimal floor and frame modifications, and can even make use of existing front leaf spring mounts for the lower links. The tradeoff can be some increase in unsprung weight compared to the stock mono leaf springs, when compared to multi leafs there in virtually no difference.

Blevinator
04-09-2012, 10:54 AM
If you want to get rid of the 2x3 U-channel "rails", look at our rear clip. More pricey, but you'll pick up the chassis stiffness quite a bit and you wont have to worry about using that much power.

Got a link?

silver69camaro
04-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Got a link?

http://www.artmorrison.com/2006cat/14.pdf

This clip replaces the stock rails without cutting any of the trunk or modifying the fuel tank. Also, you don't need to cut your stock rails down to a 1/2" thick to accept big tires. The 3-link version will need some clearance cut for the upper link, but the triangulated setup fits right in.

exwestracer
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Copied from Speed Techs site.

The torque arm has the advantage of a fixed Instant Center location, and a fairly long swing arm length. A torque arm doesn't allow anywhere near the amount of axle wrap we get with a short/long 3 or 4 link. There is very little pinion angle change or driveshaft slip. Also, it is typically a very easy install, requires minimal floor and frame modifications, and can even make use of existing front leaf spring mounts for the lower links. The tradeoff can be some increase in unsprung weight compared to the stock mono leaf springs, when compared to multi leafs there in virtually no difference.

I'm familiar with that paragraph...I wrote it.:)

I was later informed by Blake at Speed Tech that they had compared unsprung weights, and the TA setup was lower. Then they asked to borrow that explanation, and posted it as is...so who knows?