PDA

View Full Version : Will '67 fenders work on a '68?

rockdogz
09-02-2004, 10:41 AM
I need new fenders. I have a '68 but am shaving the side marker lights. Can I just buy '67 fenders instead and save some time, or are they different??

Thanks,
Tom

Ralph LoGrasso
09-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Is that legal in CA? In NY all vehicles '68 and above must have side marker lights. If it is legal, I'm jealous. :icon996:

StRacerDuke
09-02-2004, 11:19 AM
It's legal if you don't get caught!

I doubt that they would hassle you about anything like that in CA, or anywhere else for that matter
If you get caught and need to get it written off you can always tape a yellow bike reflector to the side of your fender for a few hours :)

rockdogz
09-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Legal, probably not but unless the cop is a car guy I doubt they would notice. I go weeks without even SEEING cops around here... :3gears:

Hmm, 'course I just thought of something - when I change over my registration from non-op to op, will they have to inspect the vehicle? If so then that might be a problem...

..so do you know if they will fit? :dunno:

Ralph LoGrasso
09-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Exactly. :) I wasn't talking about the cops, most cops wouldn't know if it was illegal or not. But you need to have the car inspected once a year...although the yellow bike reflector may be a good idea! hmmm

rockdogz
09-02-2004, 12:43 PM
...or just take the side marker lens itself and stick it on temporarily

Jim Nilsen
09-05-2004, 10:33 PM
When you take the sidemarkers off of your car, you will not only violate a federal law but you will endanger the life of your car! :hammer: So why do you want to do it?

Before sidemarkers were mandatory, cars were constantly backed into,t boned, and spun around in circles into other cars as soon as it got dusk and really dark. Some cars just plain would disappear from the side view.Parking lots were crazy.

It was one of the best saftey mandates that I ever saw. I think it rates higher than seat belts. If you don't get hit you don't need seat belts.

A while back I was going to work on a country type area and it was still dark. The fog was very light but it was still there. All of a sudden I saw the tailights of a 66 Chevelle on my left. He was sitting in the middle of the road waiting to go left when it cleared. If he had been 6 in. back I would have clipped him. I never saw any lights to warn me that he was there. It reminded me of the 60's all over again.

A few people here have the right Idea that if you don't like factory sidemarker lights , make your own really creative and artistic lights.

The memories I have of highway 51 and all of the accidents from this one little light that wasn't on cars yet.

As far as the police not noticing. When your car is sitting in the road with the whole rear twisted and mostly ripped off you won't have to worry about whether a ticket would be your biggest problem. It's the insurance company that will have the problem you won't want to hear. In most policies if you alter the vehicle to not be DOT legal your insurance is VOID.

To answer the question about 67 fenders fitting on a 68 . Yes they will.

Goodluck on your car and I hope it turns out great with sidemarkers.

Jim Nilsen

rockdogz
09-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Jim,
You gave me something to think about. I am shaving the door locks/handles, and just wanted to continue the shaved theme all the way across the body. I hate how the side markers look. I am not an expert with body work, but will think about a way to create a stylistic side marker light.
Honestly though, the car will not be a daily driver, and I can't imagine driving it at night very often.

Thanks,

Midwest Performance
09-08-2004, 04:00 PM
The side markers are shaved on my 69. I didn't do it. It was done when I bought it but I won't change it now. I always though that you could use the side markers off a Ford dually the ones on the rear wheel wells 2002ish they could be made to look good and still be safe and unique.
Any way if you want to look here is my car page My car page (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/442818)

Kevin

Richz68
09-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Fugly and in my opinion worthless...... marker lights..... schmarker lights!

Pitch Em'

Buy two road flares at Wal-Mart and stash them under the drivers seat for those "Foggy Nights".... thrown one out each side window and now your safe and sound sitting in the middle of the road right??? :hand:

shoddy_f-body
09-10-2004, 07:28 PM
I put new quarter skins on my 68 in 1995.Back then the skins were universal for 67 and 68. If you had a 68 you had to cut out the marker lights, if you had a 67 you didn't.Well i never cut them out. Noone ever noticed at inspection,no cop ever noticed, in fact noone ever noticed it unless they really knew their camaros. Dont sweat it.

paul67
09-19-2004, 11:10 PM
if there is no law on the distance that the light has to be from the front what about fitting them in the rear view mirrors or use LEDs i have on my trike very small and they pass inspection sat on the rear fenders if you tint them the same color as the car you would only notice when there on