PDA

View Full Version : Need help radio install question?

SRDzuess4u
04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Well, its the Ol 67 camaro, instead of buying the the blank center dash section, I made one out of aluminum, thinking it would be a bit stronger. The owner before me had cut out all the dash structure behind the center cover, so its open for support brackets and what ever is needed. So far Ive got two holes cut out at the top for round A/C vents, at the bottom the A/C controls... getting ready to to cut for radio. Before I do I had two questions, for thoughts and ideas.

Since the natural curve of the dash angles down, I was wondering has anyone used or know of a sorta counter sunk piece that will square the radio up a bit, and maybe recess it a tad ? It doesnt matter what car its supposed to fit, I can make it work.

Second, the inlay material is aluminum, I have it stainless counter sunk screws holding it in place, but will need to use some type of epoxy/glue as well. Any suggestions? I will also need to fill in gaps here and there around the outer edge, do a bit of smoothing before painting, not sure bondo will stick to aluminum....suggestions there too, I will take some pics today. Keep in mind this is just the center dash plate, Im not doing this directtly on the dash. Once Im happy Ill install it on the dash, using the same screws that go through the center plate.

Thanks Bob

BuzzKillian
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
I made mine out of fiberglass. I believe it is a lot easier to work with.
The consol is a seperate piece.

RSX302
04-04-2012, 08:33 PM
That is clean looking..very nice work

Do you have a side pic of the radio? Is it recessed? I've wanted to do a center consol with an arm rest for a while. You're image inspires.
MDF and fiberglass? What covering?

SRDzuess4u
04-05-2012, 06:52 AM

Mike very nice work,

as crazy as it sounds Ive decided not to have a center console. I thought about doing a fiberglass overlay, and may still...since I posted I ran through the Grainger catalog, there is a ton of products to adhere aluminum...so we will see. So I THINK I may have that questioned answered.

The second is the radio angle, the radio I bought has a G-force reading and some other BS that requires the unit to be pretty level in order to work. So I need it level and want it recessed. I went on the Schosche web site and look at all of their radio kits, I have a list of cars that may work. I just need to get my hands on the product. The one that looks like it will work best....Is a Kia Spectra....ahhhhh...Ill keep you posted.

But really, great work on the entire set up looks nice.

Bob

BuzzKillian
04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
That is clean looking..very nice work

Do you have a side pic of the radio? Is it recessed? I've wanted to do a center consol with an arm rest for a while. You're image inspires.
MDF and fiberglass? What covering?

Thanks, It was a lot of work,
I made a wood pattern, then a mold off of that, Then a Fiberglass part out of that.
I just painted it. I have not completed the lid yet.
here's more of a side view.
I tried to mimmick the recess of the headlight, wiper switch design on the dash. In at the top, out at the bottom.

BuzzKillian
04-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Mike very nice work,

as crazy as it sounds Ive decided not to have a center console. I thought about doing a fiberglass overlay, and may still...since I posted I ran through the Grainger catalog, there is a ton of products to adhere aluminum...so we will see. So I THINK I may have that questioned answered.

The second is the radio angle, the radio I bought has a G-force reading and some other BS that requires the unit to be pretty level in order to work. So I need it level and want it recessed. I went on the Schosche web site and look at all of their radio kits, I have a list of cars that may work. I just need to get my hands on the product. The one that looks like it will work best....Is a Kia Spectra....ahhhhh...Ill keep you posted.

But really, great work on the entire set up looks nice.

Bob
Thanks for the kind words.

I don't think it's crazy to not want a consol...
If I wasn't hiding the computer under it I might not have even made it.

That Radio sounds pretty cool... Who makes it? model? (like I need to spend even more money on toys:hand:)

SRDzuess4u
04-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Mike,
after seeing the side view and noticing counter sunk vents, much more kudos, I like it even more...very very nice. This is true function and form, has and does everything you want, plus the lines you put in the design, really go with the times in which the car was built. Not saying it doesnt look modern because it does, it just happens to share some sexy curves.....lol.....I dig that thing.....DONT make any more to sell....lol.

The radio is a few years old, its a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X889. Before you spend even more money PM me I may be selling it. Its never been installed, I have another one in my truck....but Im thinking of taking another path in the Camaro. Look up the model in crutchfield and check out the features and reviews....if your interested give me a PM.

Thanks Bob

RSX302
04-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Your hard work definitely paid off. again..very nice!

I want to get a center arm rest. Cruising down the road, I miss planting my arm somewhere.

Thanks, It was a lot of work,
I made a wood pattern, then a mold off of that, Then a Fiberglass part out of that.
I just painted it. I have not completed the lid yet.
here's more of a side view.
I tried to mimmick the recess of the headlight, wiper switch design on the dash. In at the top, out at the bottom.

jon72vega
04-07-2012, 04:37 AM
That's very nice work!

BuzzKillian
04-07-2012, 05:10 AM
I feel kinda like I hi-jacked this thread. (not intentionally) and started a console build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88754-Custom-Console-Build
I apologize, Bob

RSX302
04-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Mike, thanks for starting another thread and posting more console pictures. (I checked them all out) Hopefully your dash images helped Bob with radio mounting ideas. I know they gave me some ideas.

Bob, one thing nice about your dash is, it's metal. I reworked/welded mine so that the radio was on top and A/C controls under.

SRDzuess4u
04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Mike, thanks for starting another thread and posting more console pictures. (I checked them all out) Hopefully your dash images helped Bob with radio mounting ideas. I know they gave me some ideas.

Bob, one thing nice about your dash is, it's metal. I reworked/welded mine so that the radio was on top and A/C controls under.

Mike,

I remember your car back in the day, Im only assuming it was the one with the Ford motor? I use to show people your site and threads all the time....love it.
I pretty much set the controls up like yours, vents radio then A/C controls on the bottom. Now Im thinking of counter sinking the A/C controls as well. It never ends does it...lol. I stopped by a local upholstery shop to see if they can match the stitching and grain on the Arizen seats, and cover the center dash console to match. They can for 30.00...:), this means less body work...yeah.

also looking at mounting 4 mini gauges. So far to be different, Im thinking of mounting 4 separate rotating gauge pods right under the center, those would be nice for viewing, plus if I like them, I can move on to wiring this damm ...lol

Bob

67rally
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Well, its the Ol 67 camaro, instead of buying the the blank center dash section, I made one out of aluminum, thinking it would be a bit stronger. The owner before me had cut out all the dash structure behind the center cover, so its open for support brackets and what ever is needed. So far Ive got two holes cut out at the top for round A/C vents, at the bottom the A/C controls... getting ready to to cut for radio. Before I do I had two questions, for thoughts and ideas.

Since the natural curve of the dash angles down, I was wondering has anyone used or know of a sorta counter sunk piece that will square the radio up a bit, and maybe recess it a tad ? It doesnt matter what car its supposed to fit, I can make it work.

Second, the inlay material is aluminum, I have it stainless counter sunk screws holding it in place, but will need to use some type of epoxy/glue as well. Any suggestions? I will also need to fill in gaps here and there around the outer edge, do a bit of smoothing before painting, not sure bondo will stick to aluminum....suggestions there too, I will take some pics today. Keep in mind this is just the center dash plate, Im not doing this directtly on the dash. Once Im happy Ill install it on the dash, using the same screws that go through the center plate.

Thanks Bob

I can't remember if I saw it here, or maybe on TC, but someone used/modified the Detroit Speed Vintage Air Controller mount for their radio:

http://www.detroitspeed.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DSAEP&Product_Code=011005&Category_Code=VA

Here's what the '67-'68 Camaro blank one looks like:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/04/1c59011005_a-1.png

Here's a better view, the blank wouldn't have the oval cutout and is cheaper:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

SRDzuess4u
04-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I can't remember if I saw it here, or maybe on TC, but someone used/modified the Detroit Speed Vintage Air Controller mount for their radio:

http://www.detroitspeed.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DSAEP&Product_Code=011005&Category_Code=VA

Here's what the '67-'67 Camaro blank one looks like:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/04/1c59011005_a-1.png

Here's a better view, the blank wouldn't have the oval cutout and is cheaper:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I did take a look at those, if what Im doing doesnt work out, then more then likely Ill spend 80.00 on two of those...lol