PDA

View Full Version : Z bar hitting Headers!!!! What to do?

whytry
09-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey everybody, I have a huge problem. As some of you know I have a 68 Camaro with a 468 BBC in it and I am putting in the TKO-600. Full converson from AT to stick. I am in the process of mock up to measure the rearend length, but I was playing around with the Z bar and I noticed it was going to hit the headers. I have Hooker Comp headers made for my Camaro, and I called Hooker and they said it should bolt right up. Well mine is not. Has anybody else run into this problem? If so how was it fixed? Also I am running solid motor mounts and still have the SBC frame mounts. But from what I can tell the Z bar will hit either way.... Or does the Frame mounts move the motor that much? I can't even draw a line from the block where it is supposed to go to the Frame bracket because the headers are there..

Any help appreciated...

dennis68
09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Brad, welcome to the Hooker Super Comps hit the clutch linkage club. I am a proud member, been doing that since the day I installed the headers. I even pulled the headers (not easy to do with Super Comps) and beat the crap out them, still hits. If you find a solution I know of at least a couple hunderd guys who want the answer.

whytry
09-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Dennis did you get your tranny in then? or are you still working on it?? I talked to Jeff he thought Hedman has different part numbers for AT or stick.... I called Hedman and they do have different part numbers for the both.... Uh oooohhhh... The problems never end with my car.......

ANy suggestions

Dadms
09-02-2004, 01:01 PM
:lmao: I am running a ZZ502 with Hooker Super Comp headers, and I also ran into this issue. You need to make sure and use the BBC motor frame mounts because they do tilt the engine slightly to one side. I connected the clutch linkage rod which goes from the Z-bar to the clutch fork, to the inside (motor side) of the Z-bar. I think it normally goes on the other side but there was no way it was going to work on that side. You will also need to reduce the diameter of the clutch fork linkage rod a little but not enough to weaken it, and finally you will need to lay this linkage rod up against the header tube that it hits, and using a hammer, strike the linkage rod and make a small indention in the header tube at the same angle that the rod is at when it moves during actuation. You may have to do this a few times to get a big enough recessed area so that the linkage rod slides just beside the header tube without hitting it.

Hope this works for you. I know it did for me.................mike

dennis68
09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
I've had the Tremec in since like June of last year. The headers have been in since about 1992, they rubbed on the 283, the 305 and now the 360. They rubbed with the 3-speed, the 4-speed and now the Tremec. They rubbed with the stock linkage, they rubbed after I welded it all back together when it broke, and they rub now with the speed direct linkage (which I love BTW). Great headers-if you have an automatic. I need to some reworking of mounts I think to find a spot where all the linkage fits nicely. I tried moving the clutch a little so it didn't rub, wound up snapping the front bearing bearing retainer off the trans (put the fork at an odd angle and too much side loading of the T/O bearing). Good luck.

ZZ430
09-02-2004, 02:08 PM
I've been using the Hedmans lately, they just plain fit better.

zbugger
09-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Umm... Have you guy's looked into a hydraulic setup? It may help......

whytry
09-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Okay I got it fixed.... BBC frame mounts and a little 'massaging' and it fits fine now..> Thanks for all the help...

Sidenote - Allen - I am hoping to get the crossmember this week for final install and driveshaft measurement. If you are available I might need some extra hands moving and holding the tranny in place, while trying to put a bolt in....

zbugger
09-07-2004, 03:06 PM
You got my number. I hope to be free. I should have the fuel pump on my sister's car changed by then.