PDA

View Full Version : Save My Sanity Pls!!!

79TransAm
07-15-2005, 11:49 AM
This is gonna be a long story, so you might wanna grab some popcorn. This is about my 87 T/A 305 TPI

Bout 3 months ago my car was running fine(other than not having 3rd and 4th gear)
Then it just started running like crud(off idle surge and bogging)
It was showing 2 codes(egr valve and ecu or fuel pump or solenoid)
I changed the egr valve and it started running fine again, i went to take it for a test drive and i guess took it a little too far, cause when it got to operating temps(160*) it shut off and wouldnt restart). My dad and i did what a guy at a dealership told him how to clear the trouble codes and it started. still bogging and surging i got about 500 yards and it shut off again. Figured wed do it again and it would run... nope... ended up having to get it towed home.
checked the codes and it came up with the bad ecu or fuel pump, or solenoid code again. So i got a new ecu bout a week later and plugged it in and then i went to start it and it wouldnt crank, wouldnt turn light on either, so i figure battery dead... took the battery into my work today to test it and sure enough it was dead. so since i was still in the free replacment period i grabbed a new optima and ran home. put it in and now it cranks but wont start. I am getting fuel at the fuel rail. I am not sure if im getting spark. do you guys think that would be my problem. before i had a problem with a wire coming off the distributor, under cap on the shaft(forget what its called, maybe the pickup?) do you think it might have fallen off again and thats why it isnt starting? I just wanna get it runniong so i can drive untill i get the money to drop the 400 engine in... :( any help you can give is appreciated.