PDA

View Full Version : Oil baked on ceramic coated headers

DirkDiggler
03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
By the time I stopped it was too late.
The valve cover gasket let go a ton of oil onto my pristine header. I was a long way from home. It is now baked on. Any cleanup suggestions would be much appreciated.

Im using brake cleaner on the underside of the car.

ccm399
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Try soaking the header in anti-freeze. We used to do this with our R/C cars pipes after a long main event. All the pitstops caused fuel (with oil of course) to get onto the pipe and burn onto it. The anti-freeze loosened it up nicely and normally you could get the pipe looking good as new. Never tried it on "normal" oil though. If you can't get the area of the header into a container to soak just soak a rag in antifreeze then use cling wrap to seal it up and let is soak.

Good luck.

Chris

rivs68
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I've used bug and tar remover, it worked suprisingly well

cmraman
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I've dealt with this on my Olds, it will only get so clean. Probably should just get them recoated, unfortunately.

Jim Nilsen
03-31-2012, 06:48 AM
oven cleaner can do remarkably well in removing oil grime from anything.

dontlifttoshift
03-31-2012, 06:54 AM
I have used easy off oven cleaner and been successful. Be careful, it will eat anodizing, too. After that wheel polish and a soft rag should bring back the luster.

Bryce
03-31-2012, 07:06 AM
I just polished my header when I had it out. I used mothers mag polish and it worked really good.