PDA

View Full Version : Fiske wheel value questions

kobuzz
09-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I have a chance to buy a set of 3 Fiske wheels and 4 tires. They are the FM5 style and are 17X9.5 off of a 01 Z28. No damage. The tires are 2 Dunlop 275/40ZR17's and the other 2 are Goodyear EMT runflats 245/45ZR17's. There is at least 50% left on the tires.
Can I get these to work on a 67 or 71 Camaro? He also told me they don't sell these wheels anymore so I would have to find a used one to complete the set.
I was told to make a reasonable offer. Thanks for any help.

PzeroTA
09-02-2004, 10:57 AM
If they are from a 4th gen camaro, they would need spacers. The 4th gen will have an offset of 35-40mm and you will want something closer to 0 offset. You'd be looking at more than an inch of spacer.

A 17x9.5 will fit on the rear of a either a '67 or '71. It would not fit the front of the '67 without major work. It is the limit of what will fit on the front of the '71 and would be a tougher fit on a Camaro than a Firebird due to the fender opening differences.

Look for the post I made a while back about fitting a 10" wide wheel up front and follow the link or go to my site and look for the project gallery with that information. It was a quick and dirty experiment but will give you an idea. The stock '71 steering box will have 2 degrees more steering angle available than my car does so that and the fact these are 17" wheels vs my 18" wheels will likely lead to contact at the upper control arm where I show it clearing. Also, if you ran the 275/40 up front that tire would be more than an in taller in overall diameter than the tires I used so it could rub at the leading and trailing edges of the fender opening where I show pictures of how close my tire came. Finally, some 17" wheels will not clear the tie rod which would be crucial to fitting that large of wheel up front on the '71. I would guess the Fikse would work.

A lot stacked against you, but I would do a lot to try to get even 3 Fikse for say $750-$1k; I'd sell the tires. The large offset on the front could be beneficial for the fitment, if you were willing to redo the front suspension to increase the hub-to-hub track width with custom components.

awr68
09-03-2004, 11:20 AM
He also told me they don't sell these wheels anymore

Are you sure...last I heard they were still making and selling them like hot cakes...I think our members help keep the light on over there...gotta love those wheels!! :yum:

kobuzz
09-03-2004, 12:38 PM
I think I'm gonna try and fit them on the 71. Any reccomendations on wheel adapters?

Ralph LoGrasso
09-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Fikse still lists the FM/5 on their site under products.

http://www.fikse.com/fm5.html

Patrolman808
09-05-2004, 04:50 AM
Yea, they sell them faster than they can make them. I got my G2 wheels with tires for $500 b/c the guy just bought some FM-5's and wanted to get rid of them. I want FM-5's, but right now that's too much $$$. Don't have 4K to spend on wheels.