PDA

View Full Version : MSD Instal = Car Shutting off...

SicMonte
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Got a MSD 6AL and a Blaster 3 coil installed in my car recentlly. The 6AL is mounted in my glove box and the Blaster 3 coil is under the dash mounted SIDEWAYS. I picked up the car and began to drive it home. About 3/4 the way home the 6AL started to make a bit of noise then the car shut off. I started it back up and it shut down again after traveling about 50 feet. I coasted into a parking lot and opened the glove box. The 6AL was burning hot to the point where I could almost not touch it. The shop that did the work came down to tow it back to their shop.

After some testing and web searching they found that the coil had to be mounted vertically to cover the windings in the oil. They mounted the coil vertical and went for a test drive. The 6AL stayed cool but the car eventually shut off again. They ordered a new Blaster 3 coil and are expecting to return the car to me soon.

What do you all think? And do you have any similar experiances with this issue...

SicMonte
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Got a call from the shop. New Blaster 3 coil is installed and it is still doing the same problem after about 15-20 minutes of driving. The lead tech is saying that the distributer pickup is failing due to the heat of the engine...which has never happends before. It is an hei style distributer which they put a power tower on so the external coil could be used. The shop is a very good and recognized shop so I trust them.

Please give me your thoughts and opinions!!

carguykeith
03-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Maybe have the MSD box tested at the factory? If it got so hot you could bearly touch it I would think there is a pretty good chance something permanent could have happened to the box.

TheJDMan
03-23-2012, 07:51 PM
If you read the MSD installation instructions they specifically say not to install the 6A/AL in a confined area such as a glove box.

MOUNTING
The MSD can be mounted in the engine compartment as long as it is away from direct engine heat
sources. It is not recommended to mount the unit in an enclosed area such as the glove box.
When you find a suitable location to mount the unit, make sure the wires of the ignition reach their
connections. Also be sure that the program dials can be accessed. Hold the Ignition in place and
mark the location of the mounting holes. Use a 3/16" bit to drill holes, install the vibration mounts and
mount the ignition.

absintheisfun
03-24-2012, 03:24 AM
I know that msd has a good rep for racing applications, but I've heard that many of their ignition systems are crap for daily drivers.....

SicMonte
03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
well I purchased a MSD Pro-Billet Distributer #8555-1 and everything seems to be ok so far....the road test continue though.

BulldawgMusclecars
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
MSD makes good stuff...95% of the problems I have seen/heard of with them have to do with the installation. Personally, I wouldn't mount one in a glovebox...they should have some airflow.. and its a bad idea to mount ANY oil-filled coil sideways, especially a higher-powered one. Most of the bad boxes I have seen have been due to improper wiring or lack of vibration mounts. I have run 6AL and 6ALBTM boxes on half a dozen personal cars, with no failures and no issues whatsoever.

TheJDMan
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Not to be negitive, but my new MSD digital 6AL died after only about 100 miles. I had concerns about the box when I first installed it because it did not act like the installation instructions stated it should. Gotta love Summit, after I confirmed the box was bad with MSD, I called Summit and told them what MSD had decided and they are shipping me a replacement and a call ticket for the old box.