PDA

View Full Version : Helmet & 2nd gen - how??

BonzoHansen
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Ok, so I'm doing my first event at RTTS in a few weeks. So I got a nice new helmet from twist machine. It fits my 7 5/8 head and everything. So I put it on and sat in the car. My head is way into the roof, no matter how I adjust the seat. I'm only 6' tall. I suppose my issue is the 4th gen power seat. But do you other 2nd gen owners have this issue too? Maybe I can borrow a regular 2nd gen seat for the weekend, but before I did that I thought I'd ask

I feel like this is the dumbest question I've ever asked. lol

parsonsj
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Scott, it's not. You and I must both be of northern-European ancestry. We have the long torso short arm body type referred to as "mesomorph". See Phelps, Michael.

It sucks trying to fit in cars with a helmet on... we can't slide the seat forward to deal with our short little arms because our heads hit the roof.

I've no suggestion other than to slump. That's my approach.

parsonsj
03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
From the Encyclopedia Britannica:

The extreme mesomorph has a square, massive head;

There you go, Mr. 7.625. :)

BonzoHansen
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
lol. I don't swim as well as phelps. thanks jp, at least I'm not alone.

I think I have a few issues, my headliner (some kind of cardboard backing, not like an old bows style) is low, and I think the mounts for my 4th gen seats are too high. I think I can figure my way around it. if I push the seat further back it gets better, but then I can't clutch all the way. which seems bad :) going to test fit myself in a more stock 79 later.

maybe i'll pull an unfair next winter and drop the floor pans lol

03-28-2012, 07:00 AM
2nd gens are notorious for this. The stock seats sit really low. Most aftermarket or late model seats sit comparatively high. One seat I have found that fits them well, has good support and still cheap are Fiero seats.

critter
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Fiero seats in a second gen:

http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org/membercars/critter/2.htm

Skip Fix
03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
The only good thing about T top cars! No headliner over you! I'm noticing it is real close in mine with the Summit seats. Why I dropped them low as they can go on the Camaro project.