PDA

View Full Version : Finishing narrowed bumpers for chrome

zooboy
03-14-2012, 06:51 AM
I have dropped and tucked the rear bumper on my 69 Camaro and now I was wanting to know if anybody had past experience sending modified bumpers out to chrome. Both ends at the radius were cut and tig welded back on,the bolts have been removed and the brackets welded on to the back of the bumper. How good should the bumpers be before I send them out? The rest of the bumper will have to be dechromed and then prepped by the chrome shop before plating. I am wondering how far I should go with them if I expect a nice chome finish. Any advice would be welcome and does anybody know of a good chrome shop in the Wichita Kansas area?

astroracer
03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
The welded seam had better be arrow straight with zero inclusions, pits or wavy bodywork. If there is ANY flaw at all the chrome will highlight that like a magnifying glass. When your bumper goes out you should not be able to tell the modified areas from the original, untouched parts.
I would remove all of the chrome with a d/a, it's not that hard to do. Start with 180 or 220 grit and end up with 800 or so. Doing this will get the whole bumper to one level of finish so you don't have to rely on the chrome shop figuring out how you want it to look. Do as I mentioned above and you should get it back looking like it was never modded.....

WE NEED PHOTO"S!!!!
Mark

zooboy
03-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks, I will post photo's this weekend as I just started a photobucket account and transferred my build photo's over. I don't know if anybody does chrome work in the Wichita area anymore I might have to send it to Oklahoma.