PDA

View Full Version : LT1-LT4 heads,cam,intake

Travis B
07-13-2005, 07:53 AM
I have an LT1 that will soon be going into my 64 chevelle project! I am just wondering how many of you have messed with the LT's! I would like to make 400-450 hp! Ok here is the kicker I am on somewhat of a budget but I know it takes money to make power so lets here some suggestions......

96Z28SS
07-13-2005, 08:28 AM
I have an LT1 that will soon be going into my 64 chevelle project! I am just wondering how many of you have messed with the LT's! I would like to make 400-450 hp! Ok here is the kicker I am on somewhat of a budget but I know it takes money to make power so lets here some suggestions......

Did you want to make 450hp at the flywheel or the rear tires?
you can see what I did to my LT1/LT4 it made 560hp at the flywheel.
www.96z28ss.cz28.com

if you only want to make 450hp you only need to do heads and a cam on a stock motor. I would do a set of AFR 205cc LT1 heads. Then go with a GM 847 cam.

Rob

Travis B
07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Ya flywheel horse power!
I just looked at your link that is a bada$$ LT
What about injectors-stock or bigger???
Throttle body-stock,ported,bigger???
Pcm after the heads and cam tuning or chip or what?????

96Z28SS
07-13-2005, 04:23 PM
For 450 flywheel power.
Just get a set of AFR 205 heads or get the raised runner so you can run a LT4 intake like I did.
get a good cam I ran the cc306 but gm847 is what I would do.
Run a 58mm throttle body use a good set of headers.
get a bigger injector 36lb
Then get the pcm tuned.

You should have plenty of power.

BRIAN
07-13-2005, 05:21 PM
First thing is swap out the Opti spark internals to a remote set up. About $600 but worth it after you price out the Opti parts and the frustration. Yes, I tried vacum-vent but would go the above route in the future. Hit one puddle and the damn thing misfires like crazy. Do a search on any site and you will understand.

TPI Monte SS
07-13-2005, 07:45 PM
How well does the GM '847 cam idle (does it make enough vacuum for power brakes and such), and how tough is it to tune?

96Z28SS
07-14-2005, 09:27 AM
I ditched the opti and went with a distributor for the reliablity.
I also have pics of that on my website.

I would do a search on www.camaroz28.com and see how the gm847 cam is.
It shouldn't be a problem with power brakes.
In my case tuning wasn't a problem cause I had a FAST system and I went to speed density.

Travis B
07-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I ditched the opti and went with a distributor for the reliablity.
I also have pics of that on my website.

I would do a search on www.camaroz28.com and see how the gm847 cam is.
It shouldn't be a problem with power brakes.
In my case tuning wasn't a problem cause I had a FAST system and I went to speed density.

Is a dist. the the only way to do away with optispark......??? sorry for the noob questions but I know very little about these engines!

Blaster11
07-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Try these links especially Elliot portworks I have heard a lot of good things. http://eportworks.com/Products.htm
Also try this one it has a lot of good information. http://www.lt1tech.com/

Bruce

WS6
07-16-2005, 04:03 AM
i agree if budget is the main concern just get a heads/cam/intake package from lloyd elliot. you can make that power with the heads and intake you currently have. were talking less than 2000 for this package. yes, going with LT4 style heads and intake would be better, but that costs money. keep the opti until you have money to throw around. the opti will perform perfectly fine, just dont get it wet when washing the engine. if you plan on doing that. of course youll need all the associated boltons such as headers, injectors, and a fuel pump is a good idea. A 52mm throttle body will be perfectly fine for you as well. a 58mm will be fine as well also. more options allow you the oppurtunity to pick up a good deal. if your an auto you will need a stall converter in the 28-3200 range as well as 3.23s at a minimum. if your a stick youll want 4.10s.

how much money do you have to play with? the more the better of course. also what do you plan on doing with this car, crusing or drag racing?

Travis B
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Do you have a link to this lloyd E.
It is going in a 64 chevelle it's main use will be what some refer to as pro-trailering, just want some decent power and I a nice idle for cruising around fair grounds! It will be a manual with 4.10's, headers, mandrel bent 3in exhaust, spintech mufflers!
The fuel pump I have not ordered yet any recommindations????
How would it run/sound with just the hot cam kit that GM offers????
Thanks for your help everyone

WS6
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
http://www.eportworks.com/index.htm

walbro 255 in tank of course or aeromotive out of tank.

if all you want is good sound, enough power to brag about it (400rwhp), and some good performance i say go with lloyds stage 3 setup. run it through chambered exhaust
for that old school sound and it will pound with the LE3 cam. magnaflows or even dynomax/hooker tubors will sound great as well. his work wont cost you an arm and a leg and it will perform. his LE3 cam is similar to both the comp 306 grind and GM 847 grind and it out performs them both. its pretty damn big for a 350 or 355. stay with the opti for a clenaer tidier package and engine bay. that way you dont have coil packs to contend with and you have more money to spend elsewhere where it will actually make a difference for you. this is how i would do it. if you need more power youll need to switch to LT4 or LT4 style heads. you can keep the LE3 cam and it will do even better on those type heads.

oh the HOT cam isnt bad, but its small. itll sound pretty good, but nothing threatening. it performs well too. if your looking at the 425 claimed horse power dont bother it wont make it without some added work that they dont readily to tell you. youd be better off with lloyd

Travis B
07-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info Trey
I saved that site so when I get to that point in the project I will call him thanks a lot!

WS6
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
no problem. i love the LT motors. as great as the LS line is im tired of seeing it in everything out there. under dog motors are what i enjoy. LT1/4, 350/403 Olds, TPI 350s. those are my favorites

rocketman
07-19-2005, 11:14 PM
the opti is not that big of deal.i left mine in my 94 z it makes 585 on the motor.a head cam swap will get close to those power#'s.