PDA

View Full Version : Hans Device info?

David Pozzi
07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm going to buy a Hans Device, have any of you used one?
I figure I need the 20 degree version.

Matt@RFR
07-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Do a search on c-c. There was a pretty good discussion about head and neck restraints a few months ago. No personal experience though. Yet.

JamesJ
07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I got one, the only thing that sucks is that you cant turn your head left or right. you also need to get belts that work with it.

David Pozzi
07-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks,
Look at my signature pic, see my head leaning? maybe the Hans will prevent that!
I allways lean my head, it must come from my motorcycle days.

Mean 69
07-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Send an e-mail to PAIRacing on this site, he uses one. It is very high on my list of purchases. You lay back a good amount in the LOLA, right? I wonder if the one you need for that car will work for the sedan(s)?

David Pozzi
07-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Sedans need a 20 degrees, the lola is 30 degrees. I was going to get a 20 and see if I could get by using it on the Lola but I figured the hans 20 would stick back an additional 1" from a 20 and I have very little space between the headrest and helmet allready. Talked directly with Hans rep and the Hans rides up the headreast in a rear collision and you don't want anything to prevent the ride-up. They said the Hans reduces injury by allowing smoother ride-up.
I just ordered a 30 will probably have to buy a 20 for the Camaro when it's running.

David Pozzi
07-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Got my Hans, it's not very confortable over my sholders, I need to remount my sholder harness higher they want the straps level, - straight back from my sholders, not running down.
You need 1.5" from the Hans to the headrest and the hans is about an inch thick and clears the helmet by maybe a half inch so lots more headrest room is needed. My head was touching the headrest allready!

Another thing I noticed is my helmet bottom on either side of my chin hits the Hans if I turn my head. I can shift the helmet up a bit but once I get the helmet straps on, I may not be able to turn my head anyway!

I didn't have the sholder straps tight on the Hans, so it may all work out.

I ordered a pair of gel pads for my Hans, my wife uses gel pads underneath her horse saddle and I hope it will make the Hans feel more confortable.

Damn True
08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
So your belts have to run from the top of your shoulders straight back to their mount point?

Just trying to visualize how that might work with some racing seat designs in which the ports for the belt might be higher or lower than the shoulder.

David Pozzi
08-17-2005, 10:27 PM
I ran with the Hans last weekend. It isn't too bad but my race car mirrors are small and up on the body about 2 ft away from me so I usually move my head side to side when looking back. I didn't realize I did that, but now with the Hans, I can't move side to side at all since the belt anchors are just behind me and 3" apart. Hans wants them to restrict side to side movement and the belts to anchor 1" lower than the highest point the belts reach on top of the Hans over the sholders. I can only turn my head about 30-40 degrees side to side, but that's enough.

alcino
03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Was interested and looked around for these, are they really $900+! I know it could save my life, but that is a bucket of money.