PDA

View Full Version : RTTC3 clarification regarding safety atire needed!

carguy502
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi all!

In my final prep for RTTC3, I am trying to order up all the safety clothing I'll need. In the rulebook, it states that -

"Required on all road courses for the unlimited class- Helmet, fire-rated footwear, jacket and gloves."

If I did not explicitly sign up for the unlimited class and I'm not trying to win a trophy, does this apply to me as well? If so, I need to order some stuff up!

Thank you in advance for chiming in!

Don

mpozzi
02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Don,

This apparel listed should be the very least you should wear when driving or as a passenger at any track day or event where speeds can reach those seen in racing. If you haven't purchased a helmet, I recommend one with a 2010 SA (fire protectant) rating. Wear it around for about 15 minutes to make sure it's comfortable. Gloves should also be fire resistant and should be orange or red as bright colors offer other drivers clearer view in the event of point-by's or hand signals when entering the track. They also protect your hands as you'll be shifting a lot.

That said, RTTC will not be allowing passengers or any passing whatsoever for any track sessions so you won't have to worry about that part. It's your safety that's important and this gear is to protect you. Check Wine Country Motorsports in Sonoma, CA or OG Racing as these both have race gear. Summit and Jegs, too.

Not sure what size you are but I have a worn once nomex one-piece suit that I've shrunk out of. If you're 5'8-6' and weigh 160+, this should fit.

Mary Pozzi

Rod
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Donny, when looking into your helmet (that you need for any event) decide on what you will drive more of in the future autocross or open track, I just discuses this with a few drivers a few weeks back and it seems that most of us agree that open face helmets are most comfortable for the continuous track scanning of autocross, and full face for open track, (but I still like the open face there also)

Hi Don,

Not sure what size you are but I have a worn once nomex one-piece suit that I've shrunk out of. If you're 5'8-6' and weigh 160+, this should fit.

Mary Pozzi

MARY! are you trying to get a stranger into your jump suit? Bad, Bad Girl

carguy502
02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
I already have a full faced compliant helmet, it was just the jacket and gloves I was concerned about. The hemlet is Fire rated and well broken in by my big noggin.

MARY! are you trying to get a stranger into your jump suit? Bad, Bad Girl

As for jumping in Mary's Nomex suit, PM sent, LOL.

Gandalf
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Great discussion guys - I too have to get myself a helmet and some gloves.

G.

mpozzi
02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I already have a full faced compliant helmet, it was just the jacket and gloves I was concerned about. The hemlet is Fire rated and well broken in by my big noggin.

As for jumping in Mary's Nomex suit, PM sent, LOL.

I'll make sure and leave some "go fast" cooties in there for ya'.

Mary P.

Rod
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
any one still need gear?? I will have some SFI Large gloves 3 pairs for 40 bucks a pair(brand new Racequip), is there a need for me to bring jackets? or any other safety gear?