PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Challenge - Track Day

RobNoLimit
02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
This event is open to all years american made cars and trucks. Thursday, March 29th, at Adams Motorsports Park (A.M.P.) Drive magazine, Bobitt Media and Black Ink Media will be on hand hosting the event. No Limit, T.C.I. and others are on board. This is the thursday right before the GoodGuys Del-Mar show. For Details go to www.socalchallenge.com (http://www.socalchallenge.com)

Sales-TCI-Eng
03-06-2012, 12:29 PM
It's official - The SoCal Challenge has its own section now. I am very much looking forward to the March 29th event and what the future holds for this series. Big things to come for sure.

-J

SLO_Z28
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Signed up to go, cant wait! I know a few friends are going to go too!

RobNoLimit
03-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks for moving us up. Good things are comin for the So Cal area, now it will be earier to keep everybody posted.

mpozzi
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm going to this as well. Should be tons of fun ...

Mary Pozzi

SLO_Z28
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

How are the runs going to be configured? Just never been to this type of event before and I'm curious what the format is.

Sales-TCI-Eng
03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
From what I know they plan to run it like they do on Tuesday nights. They put you onto the track with 2-3 other cars and give you a half lap to get the tires warm. You will then have 3 green flag laps and one white flag lap(4 total hot laps).

I am sure they will have to break you up into run groups so the only cars running for that hour will be for that group.

Rob said it best. "These guys are going to need new tires at the end of the day".

-J

mpozzi
03-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm hoping to flirt with 42's if the course configuration is the same as what we ran last November. Have a secret weapon ...

Mary Pozzi

Gandalf
03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Signed. Let's go!

So Cal Camaro
03-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm signed up, looks like a lot of fun...

RobNoLimit
03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
In the morning, from the time you tech-in, until lunch, we will be running test & tune laps so you can get dailed in. After lunch we will run qualifier laps to set the grid, and a three lap 'consistancy run' for prizes. Four cars will fight for the 'last chance qualifier', and then it's on. Shootout style brackets will cut the field over and over until we have a winner.

RobNoLimit
03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm hoping to flirt with 42's if the course configuration is the same as what we ran last November. Have a secret weapon ...

Mary Pozzi

I'd like to see that!!

slow4dr
03-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Rob,

Do you think you can get the track to switch out the tires on the chicane for some cones instead?

SLO_Z28
03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Rob,

Do you think you can get the track to switch out the tires on the chicane for some cones instead?

I like how this man thinks!

LM7_67
03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Rob,

x2
tires leave a way bigger mark than cones

RobNoLimit
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I think we can probably do that. The tires are a bigger deturent, and if the cones keep getting hit, it gives the follwing drivers an advantage, and we would have to stop racing and re-set the cones. I'm game, as I have 'moved' the tires many times, as long we can get everyone to play nice.

SLO_Z28
03-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Id rather chase cones than dent a car like Mary Pozzi's.

RobNoLimit
03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Great job getting the word out. Slots are filling fast. Yes, you can sign up the day of the event, but only if there's room in your class. Mary is out to set a track record, and Spectra's Carbon Camaro is coming out for a spring warm up. The Hotchkis H team will be there, fresh off of a willow springs track day, ready to run. Don't miss out, this will be a blast.

Gandalf
03-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Rob,

Do you think they can change out EVERYTHING for cones? :lmao:

First time - I can't wait!
G.

Nessumsar
03-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Signed up this morning. See you guys/gals there!

RobNoLimit
03-27-2012, 07:03 AM
still a few spots left. The weather will be great, there's going to be some fast laps. Come out and join the fun.

Nessumsar
03-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Rob, is there anything to fill out after paying/before getting to the event? I paid a week or two ago, but haven't seen anything additional. Just wanting to make sure!

See you guys there!

mpozzi
03-27-2012, 08:10 AM
I'll be there, Rob. Can I pay at the event?

Mary P.

Sales-TCI-Eng
03-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Special thanks to Nitto Tires for donating a set of NT05's.

Adams needs a couple extra course workers. If you know of anyone just hit me or Rob up.

-J

SLO_Z28
03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
A set of Nittos? How do you win those? :D

So I see that gates open at 0700, does tech start at (or around) that time too? I also saw the add for this thing in Drive, it said gates open at 5pm, whats the deal with that?

BangShiftChad
03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
We are broadcasting the event LIVE on BangShift.com!!!!!! Yep, it was a last minute decision, but we are going to be there LIVE. Check out the announcement on BangShift.com. When you go to the site on Thursday there will be a link as large as life right in front of your face to click on and start watching. Super easy!

http://bangshift.com/blog/bangshift-provides-free-live-streaming-video-coverage-of-the-so-cal-challenge-pro-touring-event-tomorrow.html

Sales-TCI-Eng
03-28-2012, 10:12 AM
A set of Nittos? How do you win those? :D

So I see that gates open at 0700, does tech start at (or around) that time too? I also saw the add for this thing in Drive, it said gates open at 5pm, whats the deal with that?

We will have details on the Nittos tomorrow at the event.

Don't worry about the Drive magazine ad. Those ads are placed months in advance and the whole idea of this event morphed into something much better.

-J

DTM Racing
03-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Car is packed. I'll be drivng to San Diego tonight and rolling in first thing in the A.M. Is the 7am gates opening solid?

Sales-TCI-Eng
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Yep!

Beating the 8:00 traffic....priceless

-J

SLO_Z28
03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah, ill be out the door from Ventura at 5am at the latest. Cool that Bangshift will be there. You could narrate a fire drill Chad and make it interesting :D

Nessumsar
03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm leaving the LB area at 6:30, will put me there 7:30/45; see you guys/gals then!

Bryce
03-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Have fun guys! Since I am doing GG on friday I need to work thursday.

LM7_67
03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
We are broadcasting the event LIVE on BangShift.com!!!!!! Yep, it was a last minute decision, but we are going to be there LIVE. Check out the announcement on BangShift.com. When you go to the site on Thursday there will be a link as large as life right in front of your face to click on and start watching. Super easy!

http://bangshift.com/blog/bangshift-provides-free-live-streaming-video-coverage-of-the-so-cal-challenge-pro-touring-event-tomorrow.html
that sounds awesome! sadly, I won't be making it.

Gandalf
03-28-2012, 09:46 PM
PM sent Mary.

I'll be there, Rob. Can I pay at the event?

Mary P.

bret
03-29-2012, 12:02 AM
I'll be there. Just rolled into the motel in Ontario. Crosby got my "new" 68 Camaro all done so this will be the first outing for it. Then on to Del Mar!

Flash68
03-29-2012, 12:02 AM

Very cool... sounds like a very fun event. Wish I could make it.

On your link it says 92 db exhaust? That cannot be right because if they actually enforced that the majority of the PT cars would not pass. Hopefully that's a non issue.

TurboLark
03-29-2012, 06:01 AM
I'll finally be able to go watch an event!! Will be leaving work early to come watch the top 32.

killer89
05-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm curious, what was the fastest time of the day?

67zo6Camaro
05-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I think Mary P ran a 44.4 and won the fastest time and over all event.

I was running R888's and ran a 45.1 but was not apart of the official grouping as this was a 200TW event. Great times outs there and lots of fun at this event. Black-ink media recently posted a video to youtube covering the event. Check it out.

I'm curious, what was the fastest time of the day?

RobNoLimit
05-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Mary ran a fast lap at 44.39 - very fast. Last tuesday I ran out with the track recordholder, a turbo miata track car, who has run 43.188! Needless to say, I didn't see much of it

rrunner68
05-06-2012, 12:28 PM
So the better question is:
When are we doing this again?

SLO_Z28
05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I was told that September 8th is the next event.

mpozzi
05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
The official timing in the afternoon showed me at 44.0xx which, for a 200 treadwear shod anything, is okay ...

The afternoon times were faster for almost everybody. I think I got mine on either my last or next to last three-lap session runoff.

If anyone is on the fence about coming out September 8th, don't think twice! This is really a lot of fun and unless you do really stoooopid driving stuff, you should be able to keep your car/truck on the pavement and away from places it shouldn't be close to in the first place. This track has areas where being precise is absolute while others let you hang it out and play a little game of "slideways." The key is remembering what part is where ...

Mary Pozzi

killer89
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Mary ran a fast lap at 44.39 - very fast. Last tuesday I ran out with the track recordholder, a turbo miata track car,
who has run 43.188! Needless to say, I didn't see much of it

Last time I was there I watched him run and talked with him a bit. I was surprised when he told me the engine is stock besides the turbo. He was running huge slicks when I was there. 335s in the rear I believe which is crazy big for a car that size. I think the car has a lot more in it though, his times were all over the place when I was there.

killer89
05-09-2012, 11:06 PM
The official timing in the afternoon showed me at 44.0xx which, for a 200 treadwear shod anything, is okay ...

The afternoon times were faster for almost everybody. I think I got mine on either my last or next to last three-lap session runoff.

If anyone is on the fence about coming out September 8th, don't think twice! This is really a lot of fun and unless you do really stoooopid driving stuff, you should be able to keep your car/truck on the pavement and away from places it shouldn't be close to in the first place. This track has areas where being precise is absolute while others let you hang it out and play a little game of "slideways." The key is remembering what part is where ...

Mary Pozzi

:drive1: Pretty impressive with a 44 on 200 treadwear rating tires. What tires do you normally run for autocross/small track events?

Adams is a fun track to drive, just have to be careful like you said. Worst wreck I've seen yet was a guy who lost control after the timing shack and ended up going wide into the pit fencing. Luckily there isn't much speed on such a small course and it wasn't bad.

79-TA
05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm still dying to see the full results from this event.