PDA

View Full Version : Plasma cutter recommendations??

Barry
09-01-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm ready to minitub my car and i'm interested in picking up a plasma cutter to help in the project. I've heard good things about thermal dynamics but I'm more interested in suggestions about the power range i should get. In terms of mini-tubbing I know I won't have to cut anything thicker than just sheet metal but in the future I don't want to be limited with a "weak" cutter; At the same time I wonder what I will need to cut that is more than a 1/4". What do you guys think?

- Barry

MrQuick
09-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Most frames are what ? 3/16's??? for doing sheet metal and up to 1/4 " a good 40 amp one should do. There was a guy on the old board selling cutters for $600.He said they where good to 5/16". They were imported so I passed. If you want I could try to dig up his info...LMK

Matt@RFR
09-02-2004, 09:48 AM
This'll (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_125c/) barely do what you need.

You'd be much happier with This one. (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_375/)

And a 40 amp model (http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_625/) will be way overkill.

I wouldn't touch a $600 plas with a ten foot pole.

parsonsj
09-02-2004, 10:15 AM
I have a $700 plasma cutter. I've found it works fine for what I need: cutting sheet metal. I spent summer 2003 with it, and I used it for rough cutting (my sheet metal came in 4x12 sheets) as well as a "whittling" tool to remove stuff, like my old rocker panels. I was able to jig some straight lines using square tubing as a fence and it worked a lot faster/better than a jigsaw.

I can't tell you if I would have happier with the more expensive models, but I have $800 that I didn't spend. I still use it from time to time, but I don't have any huge amount of sheetmetal fab left to do, so I usually just use my jigsaw in the shop (I can't use plasma in the shop ... it sets off the house fire alarm ... don't ask).

jp

Matt@RFR
09-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks JP...a good point to make that I loose track of....if you've never used a high power plas, you'll probably be thrilled with a lower power unit.

StRacerDuke
09-02-2004, 04:12 PM
We've got a Lincon Pro Cut 55 (220V)and love it!
It will cut up to 3/4" steel and is small enought so you won't have any space issues. I would highly suggest getting a plasma cutter. Not only is it a really good tool to have, it's a lot of fun playing with it

justanova
09-09-2004, 06:37 PM
have you thought about the henrob torch, I beleive the website is www.cut-like-plasma.com, looks like a good all around product to me, but I don't have any first hand experience.

just my .02

derekf
03-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Okay, bringing this one back to the top because I'm starting to shop for plasmas.

My welding instructor suggested that we stay away from the Lincoln and Miller plasmas - he likes the Thermal Dynamics and another brand that I've forgotten, but he also suggested that even for cutting 16-18ga steel to not get a cutter that went for less than about 1600 so I'm thinking he's looking for something quite a bit more heavy-duty than I'd need.

I don't imagine I'd do much cutting thicker than 1/8" and mostly 16/18ga - maybe a little 1/4", but at that point the cut can get a little ragged and I'd be OK with it.

I'd like to get a plasma that'd work pretty well for auto body, and I'd like to spend as little as possible. Any suggestions? JP, what kind do you have? 700 is an acceptable price.

gmachine68
03-10-2006, 06:16 PM
thermal dynamics created the plasma, and then the partners split up and the one who left created hypertherm, one of these two are about the best but as matt said miller has awesome tech support so that is not a bad route either
jake

derekf
03-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Jake, that was the other brand he'd suggested.

Matt@RFR
03-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Yep, T/A and Hypertherm are the two leading plas manufacturers by far, but Miller and Lincoln are ok too. You really only see the difference when you get into the big machines.

Derek, I would highly suggest getting the biggest plas you can possibly afford. The units rated to do 1/8" will do it, sure, but they'll be slow as hell, which invites wobbly cut lines and warpage on thin stuff.

Otherwise, same suggestions as my post above.

fastbirds
03-11-2006, 08:00 AM
the consumables with the hypertherm are less expensive than thermal something to keep in mind both machines are great!

RaceMan
03-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I would suggest the hypertherm 600 I just bought one off e-bay not too long ago and I love it . the 600 I got cost 1400 with gloves and consuables , its alittle more than I wanted to spent but it will cut up to 5/8 and it drag cuts awsome , at the local welding store the same machine was &1700.00 + tax . I don't remember the e-bay store but they were out of indianapolis and were very good.

wendell
03-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I have a TD cutmaster 51. It's a 40A machine that will cut 1/4 steel cleanly and at a moderate rate. I've gnawed through 3/8 and 1/2 but it wasn't pretty. Anything under 1/4 is like a hot knife through butter. Ive had that machine for 2 years (got it used) and am a BIG fan. But it's the only machine I've used...

RobM
03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
if you are good with even an old school torch you should be able to make clean slag free cuts. Somthing to consider a good torch is a universal tool. The big advantage of plasma is you can cut pretty much any metal you will be working with

Tiger
09-08-2006, 12:37 AM
My welding guy came by again yesterday and we talked about plasma cutters.
he sez that he have a Lincoln 20amp (prototype of the pro cut 25) its slightly used and he'd give it to me for a really good price..
He sayd that it cuts up to 3/16 easily and also cuts 1/4" at a slower rate and that the 3/8" rate is just in the catalog.

thats what I'd need, whats a good buy??

Tiger
09-08-2006, 04:23 AM
test

Camaro Zach
09-08-2006, 01:18 PM
My welding guy came by again yesterday and we talked about plasma cutters.
he sez that he have a Lincoln 20amp (prototype of the pro cut 25) its slightly used and he'd give it to me for a really good price..
He sayd that it cuts up to 3/16 easily and also cuts 1/4" at a slower rate and that the 3/8" rate is just in the catalog.

thats what I'd need, whats a good buy??save your money for a larger unit. even if you will never be cutting 3/8" plate you will enjoy the faster travel speed you can obtain on thinner stock with a larger machine.