PDA

View Full Version : New Stereo in 67' Camaro

67RS
07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
What are you guys using for a face plate when installing a modern stereo? I know, I know, its sacreligious to cut up the dash but I want what I want. Anyway, I modeled one in CAD that was simple and matched the rest of the dash but the deal to get a 3D printer at work fell through. I looked online at some rapid prototype houses and they wanted over $200 to print my face plate. Who wants to pay that much for a face plate? If anyone has access to a printer I would be happy to share the file and/or pay something reasonable to get one made. Any other suggestions?

Jason

MoeBawlz
07-12-2005, 03:49 PM
what form of rapid prototyping did you want? some forms are cheaper than others... SLA and SLS are the most expensive... FDM will be cheaper, but its porous, so you have to use some sort of filler to finish the face and paint it.

can you take a screen capture of the design you have? im interested in seeing what you came up with.

67RS
07-13-2005, 04:44 AM
FDM is what we were going to get at work. I hadn't figured out how I was going to finish it yet. Here is what I came up with.

dipren443
07-13-2005, 01:17 PM
We have an SLA machine here at work. Last I checked it was in need of some maintenance. Generally if it isn't being used for anything, we can "sneak" non work related stuff in. I will check on it for you.

MoeBawlz
07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
looks pretty good to me... you may be able to just thermoform it for cheaper if you make your own mold out of plywood... however your going to need a thermoformer to do so and it would kinda be a waste unless you had several orders to fill... then again, the draw on that part may be to big without a plug or using real thick stock.

I made a Playstation 2 controller for class this past year from an FDM machine... I still have to finish (fill it and smooth it) but i talked to a few people and they said to take real fine sand paper to it first, and then use a filler like for model planes and stuff and that should work.

I plan on doin my controller soon, so i can post pictures of the process if youd like.

How long is the build time suppose to be for that part? My controller was 12 hours and only cost $180 with a LOT of support material... but depending on how you orient that part you may get away with less support material and reducing your overall cost.

CAMAROBOY69
07-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Im using a Panasonic deck and its perfect for me. But I have 2002 Trans am interior so if you think its sacreligious to cut a little hole into an original dash , thats nothing. I cut my entire dash out. Stay tuned I will have videos and pictures of my interior very soon. :secret:
Currently working on 5" gauges, transition piece and other goodies.

dipren443
07-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Just to follow up on my first post. I checked with the guy who admins the SLA machine here. The machine is not currently setup. It is not a priority as we don't use it too often. So little that the thermoplastic feed nozzles clogged, which necessitated replacement of the head at a cost of $5K. We have a new head and the machine needs to be setup and I offered to serve as the new admin for it. Which means if we don't have anything to run, I would be able to slide in "other" parts. Obviously it couldn't be anything large, but small stuff like this would definitely be possible. I will reply back to this post at a later date when the unit is up and running in case I can still be of assistance.

Nick

67RS
07-15-2005, 12:22 PM
That would be really cool. How tough is the SLA material?

MoeBawlz
07-17-2005, 07:37 PM
SLA is stronger than FDM, and has less shrinkage, if any at all..

Spyder-Man
07-18-2005, 06:53 PM
I'd be in for one if you wanted to make a few and spread the cost out. I'm sure plenty of folks here would jump on it too. Let us know what you end up doing.

MoeBawlz
07-19-2005, 09:20 PM
there isnt much spreading cost out when it comes to rapid prototyping sadly... you pay for machine run time and materials, there is no tooling required where the number of parts would decrease the cost, unless you got the material in bulk...

and if this turns out nice, i might be interested in one myself. Or if the oppourtunity arises, if i could have access to someone, anyones rapid prototyping machine.

67RS
08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Well, since my faceplate idea went over like a pregnant pole vaulter I came up with a better idea. I made a panel to recess the stereo. Take a look. It was really pretty easy. If anyone wants a patern let me know.

Don't pay any attention to the cosmetics. Like everyone else this is a work in progress.

rockdogz
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
I've been wondering about this - I see tons of faceplates in the stores, and wonder if any would work for firstgens but it's hard to see through the plastic bags... I'm on the verge of just making a new faceplate for the dash that will work into the console like others have done.

CAMAROBOY69
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Woops I never posted the pics of my deck in this thread. :hand:
Yes this is in my 69 Camaro. :)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/08/14JPG-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/08/16JPG-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/08/17JPG-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif