PDA

View Full Version : 68 camaro Steering Arm offset??

BuddyP
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM
So as I was looking at the front end of the camaro and was curious if one can offset the steering arm that is bolted to the spindle to allow an additional 1/2" of room to possibly get a 8.5" wide wheel on the front. Has anybody tired this? It does't seem like it would affect the steering any further (other than slightly less turning radius) and is still keeping the tie rods in line. Would this be feasable or even safe for that matter? This would incorperate a 1/2" steel spacer between the spindle and steering arm. Any further out and the bolt head would interfere with the sway bar link at full turn.

Rod
02-21-2012, 10:20 PM
I think The FAB53 '72 Nova of Jon Rasmussen has home made shims and longer bolts to move the steering arms in look for there thread

neki67
02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
. . . . .to possibly get a 8.5" wide wheel on the front.

Been driving my 67 for more than 10 years with a 8.5" wide (17") wheel on the front. No mods to the steering arms . . . . .

bret
02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Dont know your budget, but you might consider this: http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn/

Vicinity
02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I tried that, couldn't get it to align correctly, so I just spaced the wheel out. Running 9.5in.

BuddyP
02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Bret, yes I've been eyeing your front coil over kit and took a hard look at it at SEMA. But for now I need to watch close on bidget to get this done and on the road. Basically I didn't want buy a narrower wheel then have to get the thing rehooped down the road when I get your kit! So this "mod" would be a cheap stop gap.

Bryce
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
You need to check how this will affect ackermann. Obviously a shorter tie rod and bump steer will also need to be looked at and adjusted.

ace_xp2
02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
You'd get a (probably good) increase in Ackermann, and also a (definitely bad) increase in bump steer. I'm not sure if you could fix the increase in bump with tie rod spacing , you'd probably have to alter the inner mounting point a similar amount to get rid of the bump. How much worse it would be though, I don't know.