PDA

View Full Version : What is a 76 Maverick worth?

TnBlkC230WZ
02-21-2012, 08:30 PM
A guy close to me has a 76 Maverick for sale. He is asking 5K, but I'm thinking it is too much for even a clean car. What do you guys think?

The body panels appear to be all original. The only rust I can find is a little bubbling on the front of the hood and a little surface rust in the rain gutters. It may need a new hood. The fenders, quarters and inside the wheel wells look flawless. I couldn't get under the car to check the floors and trunk, but found no evidence of rust on the top side. The paint is fresh with all the jams properly painted, but it really needs to be resprayed. It has star decals under the paint that are raised and visible and there are a few chips.

The odometer has 57K miles on it and I find nothing to indicate they are not original miles. Most everything is there and in decent condition; moldings, lights and interior. Someone put a stereo in the dash that is no longer there. The carpet and headliner look original and still ok. The seats and rear side panels were recovered in a less-than-desireable fabric.

I didn't drive or even listen to the car run. It has a 6cyl auto with AC and everything is there. Looks like it would pass a smog check. Since the car would get a V-8, the engine doesn't matter. The car sat level with no front or rear sag and shocks that look new or at least the bushings were new.

I'm not very familiar with Mavericks and unsure if performance/pro-touring parts are available. Do Mustang parts interchange with them? Any guidance would be helpful.

DartorDemon
02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
That seems high to me. Maybe if it was an earlier year, but 76 is gonna have the big goofy bumpers that you'll want to swap out. I'd pay 3500-4k if its in great condition. Less if its not perfect.

TnBlkC230WZ
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
It does have the big bumpers. Is it easy to small bumpers on?

GrabberGT
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Its worth about half that if all it needs is paint and better deals than that can be found if you plan to paint it anyway. The front bumper is not a big deal to swap out but the rear will take a little more work.

You really need to get a look at the torque boxes and inside the cowl.

Im running TCP Mustang front end components and a TCI Mustang torque arm. The torque arm had a bunch of very small changes to make it fit and still, I should have done a little more homework to get it optimized for my car. The Maverick frame is ~.5" narrower as well as a couple other things that really add up.

TnBlkC230WZ
02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I may pass on it