PDA

View Full Version : Removing front end to fix doors

eburke
02-21-2012, 09:43 AM
OK hopefully I can explain this right on my camaro (68) I am fixing to repaint it and want to make everything right on the gaps on my doors they have a gap anywhere from 1/8 to maybe a 1/4 inch going from top to bottom at the back of the door in addition the quarter is not even with the doors but sticks out about a 1/2 or a little less then the door. I know the doors are correct as far as being installed. One person I talked with suggests that I take the front end off and adjust the doors as close to perfect as possable as far as the gaps go and then install the front end back on as it has more room for adjusting then the doors his reason for doing this is because I am changing the colors and it would be easy to paint it with the front end off instead of it being installed and then removing the doors to paint them. On:)ce I get everything put back to together then I would cut any sheet metal that I would have to and weld it back up

mikey
02-22-2012, 09:22 PM
They make special door hinge wrenches that allow you to adjust the hinge with the doors installed. They can be rather pricey though I bought the last one for like $45.00 clos to 20 years ago. Snapon carries them not sure about Mac tools or Matco though. It would definately be a better job to take the front clip off though. however this would allow you to get things lined up prior to doing your body work with less effort. Always start at the rear of the car first when aligning panels. The 1/4's don't move around once they are welded so you place them first and and go forward from there. Don't weld them up until you get the doors to fit to your liking first. You can also drill 1/8" holes to use as alignment holes in your hinges prior to removing them for paint.

eburke
02-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks for replying I guess I really left out an important issue the quarters are already on the car whoever had it beofre me was not worried about it looking right jjust that they were on the car. However it just aggravates me when I saw the gaps. What I have decided to do is remove the front end since I plan on replacing both sets of hinges on the doors plus I can prep and paint the doors and the door jambs must easier and then once I get that done I will put the front end back on and get it adjusted coorectly so that the gaps with the front door and front end are good and then if I have to cut the some on the rear quarters make whatever adjustments I have to so the gap is correct and then paint the car.

Ed