PDA

View Full Version : Hilborn-Carabine fuel inj

Brent Jarvis
07-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Any one out there have experience with this setup on a real healthy Big Block Chevy? I beleive this Carabine unit is not the best setup. It's having some real issue's with starting, and low speed driving.There may be a problem with the ECU. I don't know. Dyno work was done and wide open throttle results were real good. Who's in the know out there?

camcojb
07-12-2005, 12:42 PM
I've had and tuned the Hilborn EFI setups, but not with that computer. I had a friend looking at one and other than Hilborn we didn't find anyone who's used it and liked it. I know if you swapped processors you could tune it to work like you want. Can't Hilborn give any help?

Jody

Brent Jarvis
07-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I've sent the ecm back to Hilborn so they can check it. What other Processor can I use?

camcojb
07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I've sent the ecm back to Hilborn so they can check it. What other Processor can I use?

You can use most any of the aftermarket EFI's. Holley 950 Commander, FAST, Accel Gen VII, Big Stuff 3, etc. They all have a wiring harness included and full adjustability and tuning.

Jody

Fuelie Fan
07-13-2005, 03:13 AM
I "tuned" a carabine once. I eventually gave up. it was running ok, but we got it running so much better with a different company's ecu. The carrabine wasn't damaged, they just made a lot of compromises in order to boil it down to 10ish adjustment screws.

Brent Jarvis
07-13-2005, 07:30 AM
I think you may be right about the compromises. I'll find out by tommorro. Hillborn has been working with me on this. The thing is this car has to have the Hillborn fuel injection for the theme that it was built with. I did not know I could use another computor on it other than the Carabine. I'm going to work with it later this week when it comes back and I'll know for sure. On the engine dyno it worked good at wide open throttle. It's start up and low speed driving that is a problem. some of the potentiometers have had to be set full lean cause of all the raw fuel coming out. That then skrews up the wide open deal. I'll tell ya, my 1300 horse carburated pro street car was much more ez to tune with 2 dominators to drive around than this deal.

Fuelie Fan
07-14-2005, 03:30 AM
It's a challenge we face everyday: how to have ten times the adjustability of a carb without making it ten times more of a PITA. As our programmer says, "making something really easy, is very HARD". Good luck with your system. Switching to a new system should not be too hard at all, and whoever's ecu you select, their tech support should be able to make sure you get what you need.