PDA

View Full Version : OLD Martins Turbo set up....

SicMonte
07-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I have the chance to get an old Martin's Turbo set up for a small block. It is 100% complete with a 780 holley carb...all for $700

The turbo and the carb need to be re-built.

Couple of problems / questions for you all....

1) who has heard of this set up??

2) it is a draw thorugh system...not a blow thorugh. I heard that this can cause a nasty lean condition when any type of boost is made..b/c the boost under the carb wont let any fuel into the cylinders.

3) it is an old Raija? turbo....can this even be rebuilt.

I want to get the system bad..b/c it is so darn unique....but as seen in my previous post...it is either this or a weiand 144 blower...

HELP!!!!

Martin71RS
07-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I have a manifold from a Martin setup which I will be using to make a blow-through system... you can find more info on my page:

http://www.pro-touring.nl
pages 19, 22, 24

attached are some pics of the original Martin turbo setup mounted on an engine...

Martin.

69Nova
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
How much boost could this setup produce efficently. Also what about the exhaust pipe that runs under the oil pan, would that produce enough heat to harm the oil.

Andrew Petty

SicMonte
07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
i dunno how much boost...but it cant be all that much....and no idea about the pipe....

Martin71RS
07-21-2005, 12:15 AM
the crossover pipe can be wound with exhaust wrap...that will make a difference...
boost..?? I've seen guys make high boost with log style headers...which are not much different in the flow department....some guys use flipped manifolds too...on high boost...

ty1295
07-21-2005, 04:24 AM
2) it is a draw thorugh system...not a blow thorugh. I heard that this can cause a nasty lean condition when any type of boost is made..b/c the boost under the carb wont let any fuel into the cylinders.

Being a draw through the carb will never see boost, just vacuum. If you get a lean condition, it won't be because boost on the carb but the carb not suppling enough fuel.

The log style manifold has minimal effect on amount of boost. What do you guys consider high boost?

I am VERY familiar with the GMC Syclone and Typhoon. From the factory it was a very similar log/cast manifold setup. Guy I have been tuning on his truck for him is running 25-27psi on pump gas on stock manifolds crossover, and turbo.

The trick and why most carb turbo setup's didn't succeed very well is how hard they are to tune, get fueling correct, and hope the weather doesn't change enough to effect it.

In your case it appears you want it more for the retro look -vs- power. If that is case I would run low boost. 3-4 psi maybe, and get a reliable tune on it. If your looking for the big power I would consider a fuel injection to go with it. If you got creative you could keep the older look.

Right now I am in the middle of installed twin turbo's on a 350 chevy via my own design headers, carb intake converted to injection with LS1 based throttle body.

SicMonte
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
i know it has been over a year....but im still into this turbo set up.

being that it seems a lot more people are into turbo's now....id like to get your opinons on this set up again. it is cheap...retro and just looks cool. i like it but what do you all think...just for a fun...different set up? would it be worth it in the long run??

ErikSOCAL
09-16-2006, 04:27 AM
There is a guy on www.nastyz28.com (http://www.nastyz28.com) that has a lot of experience with it. Look for RacerRick or Racer Rick, something like that. I think he said 500hp is very doable on the system. Another guy on there mike79z or something also had a lot of info. I think the 144 blower basically killed the market for them. You could also search martin and it'd probably lead you to them.
For $700 with a rebuild, it would be fun on a mild sbc. Shoot, if you pass, let me know.

SicMonte
09-16-2006, 07:14 AM
i think im gonna pass...the exhaust lookslike a problem for me. it will hang way too low.....im most likelly gonna go with a lil 144 blower. are you really interested in this set up?

ErikSOCAL
09-16-2006, 01:39 PM
depends on the condition and how complete it is. I'll send you a pm with my email addy.

gt1guy
09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I had one of those systems on my 69 in the very early 80's. Turbo was a Rajay 301E10 I think. I ran a Q-jet with it.
Just to make sure it's the same one, if you look down the manifold under the carb, you should see some slots with what looks like trap doors on the bottom side. The manifold is basically split in half (air goes through the carb, into the top half, through the turbo, back into the bottom half where the trap doors are, and into the heads).
There should also be a small pop-off type valve between the two halves of the manifold. This is there because the system has no wastegate on the exhaust side, and you can't just vent boost to the atmosphere when it has fuel in it. Between the pop-off valve and the fact that the turbine side of the turbo is kind of large, boost is regulated. My pop-off was set at 9psi.
The cool thing about the system is that at idle/just of idle, when the motor isn't making boost, the trap doors are open and let the mixture straight into the engine(bypassing the turbo). When boost comes on, it blows the trap doors shut, and now you have a turbo motor.

Is it the most efficient turbo system ever designed?.....No, not even close.

Does it work?............Yes, boost is boost. It made my car haul ass.

Thanks for posting the pics. I have never seen another person with one of those systems.

This whole "Protouring" thing is kind of funny. The car that system was on (69 Camaro) had the whole Gulstrand catalog on it, including the 4 wheel vette brakes and the Gulstrand mod.

Kevin