PDA

View Full Version : Body bracing advice for 1st gen

davidk68
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Hello guys,
I will soon be replacing my rocker panels and both floors on my 68 Camaro. The car will be completely disassembled including the subframe but is not on a rotisserie. My plan is to do the rockers first (one side at a time - inner and outer) and then the floors. I have the full 2 piece floors - includes toeboard to under back seat area. I know I need to brace the inside and I was planning on bracing across the A-pillars and also behind the front door and then tieing those together longitudinally. Is this enough?? I know I've seen pictures in build threads but having trouble finding them now, so if anyone wants to post some pictures that would be great and very helpful. Any other advice is also appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Tom Welch
02-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Take a lot of measurements from all over the car. you will need to support the body at 4 points and keep it level since you have no rotisserie. I would brace the car front to back up high (top of door) through the dash to rear seat area, and down low as low as you can run a tube from firewall to rear seat area. 1 or 2 tubes should do it. Then x brace the car from side to side. I dont think the body will shift or sag if you do this. Taking measurements is the only way I know of to be sure however.

davidk68
02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the info Tom, I will certainly take alot of measurements. That's certainly more bracing than what I was planning but I did think about doing some diagonals too. I was thinking that I should try to brace as low as possible on the door jams to keep the rockers where they belong. Running braces to the firewall and back seat area are good ideas too so I'll do that. If anyone has any pictures, that would great!

Thanks,
David

MrQuick
02-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info Tom, I will certainly take alot of measurements. That's certainly more bracing than what I was planning but I did think about doing some diagonals too. I was thinking that I should try to brace as low as possible on the door jams to keep the rockers where they belong. Running braces to the firewall and back seat area are good ideas too so I'll do that. If anyone has any pictures, that would great!

Thanks,
David

also best to build a cart to set it on.

davidk68
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
WOW!! That thing looks crazy! I thoght mine was pretty rough but I guess there's always someone who is worse off. I get the picture now! I was thinking about a cart too but figured I could support it with the fender bolts in the firewall and the rear bumber bolts. Those supports would then be bolted to my garage floor. So is that 1" square tubing for the bracing and 2" tubing for the cart??

MrQuick
02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
we go 2x3 base then 1x1....check this out....

slipknawt
05-27-2012, 04:53 PM
would like to buy one of these