PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Touring worthy cars.

DanT69
09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I had a question for those more in the "know" then me, a entry level hobbyist. It seems the pro-touring scene is dominated by 1st gen. Camaros, some mustangs, and some more Camaros. I understand those cars make great platforms for a PT car and look good, but I have often wondered why havent some of the other muscle era cars made it into the PT scene? Especially with the increase in price of 1st Gen. Camaros and other popular models will we start to see more models come to prominence in the PT scene? I have wondered why I havent seen a PT for Torino, a 70-73 or so. Also like a , 71-73 Dodge challenger? I have seen Steve Stropes GTX-R, will we see more of that? Or are people building these cars into PT cars and im missing them?

TonyL
09-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Maybe a little of both. They don’t get the coverage based solely on the number of cars out there that have been pro-toured. It all boils down to part availability. More parts are available for mustangs and Camaros. As more people pro-tour other cars, the parts will become available, which leads to more of that type car being pro-toured.

bear in mind that pro-touring as it is now, has been using cars that handled good for the its era, and improving that car to this eras handling expectations.

What I’m getting at is, it just made more sense to start with a lightweight, decent handling muscle car and improve on that. That leaves the mustang and Camaros at the top of the heap. Novas are showing up more and more, as are Malibus and Monte Carlos.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-01-2004, 09:25 PM
To elaborate more on what Tony said about parts availability. The fact is that there are more suspension components available for F-bodies, A-bodies, and mustangs. That is the main reason why you aren't seeing more outside the box pro-touring cars. Many people simply want to bolt on a set of tubular control arms, drop springs, and a nice multi-leaf set-up out back and be done with it. There are companies out there making suspension components for Mopars, but the problem is the price that the mopars demand. Challengers and 70-73? Cudas are getting to be very expensive these days, especially the cudas, in my experience. I for one will some day build a tube frame 70 Cuda, but not until someone makes a reproduction body available, or I contract someone to do it for me. The cars are just too expensive to start with something nice.

Pro-touring towncar
09-03-2004, 06:53 PM
As Tony H stated in his book a pro-touring vehicle is one that modifiyed and modernize to handle better. Why do you think I am doing a Towncar.
Speaking of a 73 torino I was thinking that same thing when I saw one sitting on the used lot this week.

Tim

TonyHuntimer
09-03-2004, 07:51 PM
You guys are jerks! I was going to build a Pro-Touring 1973 Gran Torino! Now I'm going to have to build my other car. Wait until I unveil my Pro-Touring 11 second street-driven turbocharged 4-cylinder Pinto. :)

Keep your eyes peeled for more than Camaros, Chevelles, and Mustangs that are turned into Pro-Touring cars.

So far you have just seen the tip of the ice burg!

There are tons of cars waiting for you to turn into Bad@$$ Pro-Touring machines. Make your own possibilities. If the parts are not available, there are guys here who like a challenge. :)

I need more COWBELL!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Pro-touring towncar
09-05-2004, 09:25 AM
There are tons of cars waiting for you to turn into Bad@$$ Pro-Touring machines. Make your own possibilities. If the parts are not available, there are guys here who like a challenge. :)

I need more COWBELL!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

That is why I am doing a towncar I like challenges. But I have over come one challenge big brakes. thanks to the guys on crownvic.net

Tim

Spoolin440
09-07-2004, 12:11 PM
My 70' Cuda is in progress with a full coilover suspension, Baer brakes, and a turbo 440. Being an ex PS guy i'm just now begining to figure things out, but it will be out on the streets by next spring.