PDA

View Full Version : Approximate purchase price of a "driver" First Gen?

sokoloka
02-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Been doing a little research and I'm curious to hear your opinions. Still have a lot of work to do on the Corvette, and won't even be back in the country to REALLY start looking until September, but I would like to pick up a beater first gen (or even early second gen) Camaro to drive around in for the mean time. Engine doesn't matter, ideally a 4 speed but can also be flexible on this. Reasonable mechanical condition or something that I can keep running, aesthetics not as important but obviously not a rust bucket. 1969 would be awesome, but doesn't really matter.

End goal would be to put some miles on this fixing as I go, and then when my brother shows up build the car with him to some sort of pro-touring standard.

I live in San Diego when I'm not in London, but am willing to go anywhere in the lower 48 for the car. How much should I expect to pay?

Anyone have a close to running street legal project they're looking to get rid of but can hold off until late September?

Simmo
02-14-2012, 01:49 AM
I've been keeping an eye on 69 CA & AZ cars myself for the last year or so.

Im sure the locals will chime in with some more accurate info, but for a 69 for anything decent and remotely safe to drive on the road (as safe as these car's are anyway) seems to run 15K+, but my requirements may differ from yours. Have seen a couple of nice nothing special 67-68's find their way over here for a bit less, just have to wait, wait, wait and then act fast.

CreepinDeth
02-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Someone was just selling a decent looking light blue 1st gen for $15K on here IIRC.

That was pretty reasonable, and it wasn't a basket case like many other I've seen for the same $$$.

AintQik
02-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Here in Jersey I see them between $8k and $15 for a driver. If you go anywhere below that "driver" becomes highly debatable.

sokoloka
02-14-2012, 05:28 AM
I appreciate the responses, thanks! Obviously there's a million variables at play, I'm just looking to do a little budgeting while I'm stuck over here and not able to turn any wrenches.

I've been looking for a project to do with my brother as well, and compared to a Factory 5 kit this seems a little more exciting... At least to me!

just have to wait, wait, wait and then act fast.Waiting and saving - two things I don't really have a choice in doing right now so might as well haha.

davidk68
02-14-2012, 09:36 AM
A friend of mine sold his 68 last year for $12K and it was a pretty decent driver. He had a fairly new 350 crate engine in it and a Richmond 5speed. I think you could get one in the range of $15K