PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Prep.

CarlC
07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Here's a list of a few items that I spent the better part of two days doing to get ready for Saturday.

Rebuild both front calipers (Previous track day event melted the dust boots.)
Re-locate both front brake flex lines to better inner mounting point locations.
Inspect brake linings and rotor quality.
Inspect chassis and suspension components for wear and visible cracks.
Flush brake fluid.
Rotate tires.
Cleaned and repacked front wheel bearings.
Re-torque all critical fasteners.
Check all fluid levels.
Set front end alignment (-2, +6, 3/16" out)
Repair exhaust hanger damage.
Full chassis grease lubrication (28 points.)
Inspect belts and hoses.
Change coolant.

There's a few more things I need to do but basically the car is ready from a safety standpoint. If you have not done a safety inspection on your car I highly suggest spending some quality time in the garage ASAP.

Also, it's going to be very warm. Latest forecast is 105* on Saturday. Track and pit temps on the blacktop will be higher. Making sure that both the cars and ourselves do not get overheated will be important. Keeping an eye on each other and watching for signs of both mechanical and human problems will be something all of us will need to practice.

Let's remember that Vince's party will only be a success if all of us come back in one piece.

Matt@RFR
07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Also, it's going to be very warm. Latest forecast is 105* on Saturday. Track and pit temps on the blacktop will be higher. Making sure that both the cars and ourselves do not get overheated will be important. Keeping an eye on each other and watching for signs of both mechanical and human problems will be something all of us will need to practice.

If you see anybody stop sweating when they should be sweating, they need to sit down in the shade RIGHT NOW. Poor cool (not cold) water down their back and stomach, and if they're wearing a hat, take it off. Do NOT poor water on their heads!! You lose most of your heat from the top of your head, and the shock associated with pooring water on your head will restrict your pores and keep you from losing the heat. A temperature can result, and if nothing is done, you'll eventually pass out. Another sign of heat stroke is if you see somebody wobbling around like they've been drinking.

I'll be bringing a thermometer with me, and if anyone gets a temp of 101º or over, they're going to the hospital that second.

Also, guys, you need to start drinking water right now. Not Friday, and certainly not when you get to the track. When your piss is clear, you're good.

Also, if you're gonna be walking on that hot pavement all day, a change of socks is highly recommended. Change 'em at lunch time or so.

yody
07-11-2005, 11:00 AM
umm, i don't think were going to Iraq, i'm sure all the little boys will be just fine :) Hopefully there will be some shade!

zbugger
07-11-2005, 11:02 AM
There's not much shade there Cody. And for what's going on, it's best to take the precautions.

KrisHorton
07-11-2005, 11:04 AM
That's some good advice from the both of you. I'm taking a new car, so I don't know if getting too warm in the driver's seat will be a problem, but good to know either way. Since the Chevelle is up in Ridgecrest with my dad, who'll be driving it, I'll pass this list on to him. I know that he's putting new brake lines on the rear and swapping out the 2.5" exhaust for a 3" on Friday. The car's getting dyno-tuned that day as well, so it should either be in good shape on Saturday or broken from the dyno pulls!

Any recommendations for what I should do with my Mustang? I figure everything should be alright. Just had an oil change last 2 weeks ago and the car's running great (it should be, it's only got 3500 miles on it,)
but any insight would be great!

Kris

KrisHorton
07-11-2005, 11:05 AM
So uh, bring sunscreen too huh? Got a wicked burn out at the NHRA Nat's in Vegas, and that was only April.

Blown353
07-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Another thing guys to add to Carl's list: BRING FIRE EXTINGUISHERS.

I've seen a couple guys lose their cars at track days when a fire started and the safety crew couldn't get there in time. An in-car extinguisher may have saved them. Cheap insurance. Make sure you don't get one of the powdered ones that become highly caustic when you later try to wash the residue off with water.

It's going to be HOT down there. Temps on the track will probably be in the 125F range; it's been years since I've been down there but it gets BLAZING hot in the summer. Someone should bring a portable canopy (or two) to hang out in, ice chests, lots of water, etc. I've had heatstroke before and it was NOT fun by any measure. Could have very well been fatal. I was young(er) and stupid(er) then. :rotfl:

Speaking of the high temps, Kris, if you're going to run the Chevelle I highly recommend you run on race gas to curb the chances of detonation. No intercooler, high ambient temps, and sustained use will probably lead to a broken motor if you run on pump gas. Do you have the air filter on the back of the blower under the hood still? If so, be even more cautious as it will be sucking in air over those scorching headers. Just be extra attentive for signs of pinging and back out of it if you hear anything funny.

Another thing to add to Carl's list: fresh oil before the track, and change it again when you get home.

Wish I could be there but I have a wedding to attend. :hammer:

Troy

KrisHorton
07-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Good advice Troy, I think we might try to work up a way to get the air cleaner to the front. We're planning on running race gas too.

Also, what tire pressures are ideal?

I have Nitto 555RII's on the rear. 305/35 18 and Nitto 555's on the front, 245/45 18. Any recommendations on that?

Kris

CarlC
07-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I'll be bringing a thermometer with me

Where's that thermometer been? :yum:

Matt@RFR
07-11-2005, 12:29 PM
It's brand new...wanna help me calibrate it? Go like this :moon: and I promise none of this :spank2:

hehehe.. ewwwwwwwwwwwww

Mean 69
07-11-2005, 01:59 PM
I have a 10' square canopy that I am bringing, any and all are welcome to it. Bring lots of water, both for your body, and your car. That is probably the most important thing to think about.

I can't stress enough how important what Carl stated really is. I cut a brake line down a few weeks back, found it while driving the car on the street in traffic, when it went "pop." My issue was under full steering lock, the line would flex and contact the inside edge of the wheel, turning cut it down (this is a teflon braided line, brand new). This was my mistake, don't make it yourself. Interestingly, when I looked critically at the other side, I found that it too could have suffered the same fate, even though I would have thought it would have been okay if I hadn't been so particular after the other one let go.

Look at all fittings to see if there is evidence of any leaks, run your finger around the ones you can't completely see.

It is my understanding that they sell racing fuel at the track, hopefully they will be pumping that morning (not a race weekend, I sure hope they will!).

I have a fire extinguisher hard mounted right between the two front seats, I'd highly recommend that everyone else do the same.

And last, but certainly most important, don't drive beyond you or your car's ability. I really doubt I will come close to the limits of my car this weekend, it is the maiden voyage, so I will certainly not be pushing more than about 7/10's, at the most, and only when I get really comfy with things.

Mark

vanzuuk1
07-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey guys, I was at a vintage race at elkhart lake years ago and it was so hot a guy in an alfa (?) passed out at the end of the straight and went off, He died on impact.

Turns out he was unable to get out of his car without help in some of the practlce sessions, no one wanted to be the one to tell him not to race.

You guys will have a blast, just keep an eye on each other.

Also Carl, thanks for the checklist, I will save it for next year.If anyone know a link to a formal track day checklist let me know, I would like to print a few.

vanzuuk1
07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Also what type of fire extinguisher do you recomend?

Mean 69
07-11-2005, 04:34 PM
The unit I have is an "ABC" type, which seems to be the ticket for the typical types of fires one would see in a car wreck (fuel, fabric, etc). I will say, on the present project car, I will very most likely be installing a complete fire system (halon, multiple fixed jets, etc).

And by all means, don't rely on velcro to hold it down, if it lets go and ges under your feet, well, that is just "not" good. Screw it down, it's not that hard.

M

vanzuuk1
07-11-2005, 05:02 PM
thank you

Supra510
07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Water Wetter and straight water will help keep coolant temps down. Also synthetic oil does wonders on a hot day, especially for those of you with forced induction, and/or those without an oil cooler. You will be amazed at how quick your temps get up there in a 20 minute track session in comparison to a few passed down the strip.

Anthony
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

Blown353
07-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Another piece of advice I can give is don't try and keep up with the guy in front of you or stay in front of the guy behind you, go your own pace and be courteous to those faster than you and wave them around. I saw a lot of fancy exotics get balled up at Ferrari Club open track days I used to attend over the years when the guys who thought they were fast tried to keep up with the guys who *were* fast. I remember at one of the first open track events I attended in one of the first sessions of the day I got to watch a then-new Testarossa going off into the tires behind my Dad and I at Sears Point; the TR driver had no business running in the "advanced" group but let his ego get the better of him, and he tried to keep up and over-drove his abilities. He was OK, but the car wasn't.

Also remember, most of you guys have to DRIVE your cars home! Sucks calling AAA or finding a trailer to bring a broken car home. So don't totally beat the thing to death.

For guys who haven't run the track before, an experienced passenger is highly recommended to show you the lines and also suggest entry speeds, lest you do something silly like run off into the dirt. If it's the cars first time on the track, it's also good to have a passenger watch the gauges and other stuff for trouble during the first track sessions with the car to watch for oil starvation problems and the like, as the driver typically can't keep his eye on the gauges at the crucial moments where a starvation problem may occur.

Oil temps are another valid concern, as Anthony said, and could very well ruin your day, especially if it's going to be that hot out there. Guys without oil coolers need to be especially cautious. I know for a fact that if I open tracked my car right now I'd cook the engine in 10 minutes or less, as I can get the oil up to 255-260F after about 10 minutes "playing" on my favorite backroads, where I can drive hard but not nearly as hard as I could on a proper track.

Still wish I could be there, but I've been scolded that this "friendship and wedding thing" take priority. :doh:

Troy

CarlC
07-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Sorry if the format does not fit right, but here's a tech inspection form from Speed Ventures. I may have one from Hotchkis and will post it if I find it.

Tech Inspection Form

Driver:_________________________________ Date:____________

Make:_________________________________ Model:___________

Year:_________ Color:______ Stock or Modified:__________

Note: If you are self-teching your car, it is your obligation to physically check every item on this form. Do not assume your lugs are tight, for instance, re-torque them to make sure. This checklist is for your safety and the safety of the others on the track with you, and should not be dismissed as a formality. After teching your car, you must sign the bottom of the form (in both places if you're self teching), which indicates that you have, in good faith, checked every item on this form. Please bring this form with you to the track, or you'll have to do a new tech at the track, possibly missing your first run group. Thanks for your cooperation.

WHEEL and TIRES STEERING & SUSPENSION
Street Tires: Wheel bearings ok (no play)? ______
More than 2/32" of tread? ______ Steering tight? ______
Race Tires:
Good condition/no cording? ______ Body
Cuts or other other defects? ______ Gas cap ok? ______
All lugs present and torqued? ______ Body panels secure? ______
Hubcaps/ Centercaps removed? ______

ENGINE SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Any fluid leaks? ______ Helmet approved?(M-85
Wires/hoses secured ? ______ 1st time, SA95 otherwise) _______
Throttle return springs tight? ______ Seats secure? _______
Radiator overflow ok? ______ Long sleeve cotton shirt? _______
Battery properly secured? ______ Closed-toed shoes? _______
Battery terminals covered
(rubber boots / duct tape ok)? ______
Fluid lines ok? ______

BRAKES
Pedal pressure firm? ______
Fluid level correct? ______
Lines ok? ______
Brakes lights working? ______
Pads more than 5mm? ______
Rotors ok (no cracks, etc)? ______

Q ship
07-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Speedventures requires long pants and a long sleeve cotton shirt for drivers and passengers-don't know if that will be the case this weekend but it might be a good idea to pack extra.

KrisHorton
07-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Okay, a few things I need to run past you guys to make sure the Chevelle will be alright. The rear tires both have slight cuts in them from a rubbing issue we had a while back. They aren't deep cuts, they just gouged the area where the sidewall and tread meet. If that's a problem, I might have to call up Nitto and go get another set before I head up there. Also, I called my dad and told him that he should install the hood pins on our car. The hood on the Chevelle is fiberglass, though it's a bolt on, using the stock latch, etc. I figure hood pins would be a wise addition.

If anyone has any insight on the tire issue though, let me know!
Kris

CarlC
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
As long as the cuts are not deep I doubt they will be an issue.

vanzuuk1
07-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Carl Thank you , I am going to print a few of those, good to use even for an old street car.

vanzuuk1
07-13-2005, 11:57 AM
A trick I learned years ago was that if you give your vehicle a good detailing you can spot things like frayed hoses, bolts backing out,etc. This applies more to bikes but if you really get under your car and scrub you can catch problems as they develop.

CAMAROBOY69
07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Lots of great advice in here. Especialy Matt's advice about drinking lots of water. As surprising as it sounds you will be severly dehydrated after one session in your car. It is more physically exhausting then you could ever imagine. And if you dont eat and drink properly you will never make it thru the day. Depending on the track size and amount of turns, most of you with no track experience will be tired after about 6 laps. If you cant eat properly just make sure to keep pounding down the water. On a hot day like that it isnt uncommon at all for the average person to consume close to a gallon of water.
Good luck out there guys and have fun. GEt tons of video like I did. Inside and out of your car if possible. :drive1:

Rick Dorion
07-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Let's see:

Bring a tire pressure gauge to check before/during.

I like halon extinguishers myself

Avoid caffeine the day before as it will dehydrate you.

Bring some sports drinks for electolytes along with water.

High quality helmet

Check seat belts/harnesses for any fraying or cuts

Spare fan/alt/ps belts

David Pozzi
07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Get a terry hand towell and soak it in water, put it around your neck, bring a straw hat and stay out of the sun as much as possible. I do terrible in hot conditions mainly because I'm a life long coastal resident.

Check here for open track how-to info:
http://www.norcal-saac.org/

Here is their tech sheet:
http://www.saac-mcr.com/tracks/techform.htm

If you don't have an oil cooler you need to change your oil after the event. Heat shortens the life of the oil.

MrQuick
07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
If you guys have any issues please call Laura, she has been very helpfull. This is not a sanctioned event so it very lenient on the rules. When in doubt please call. I don't think passengers are allowed at this event. she is checking. If you guys get any info please post, it might save someone some time. thanks all!

KrisHorton
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
The cuts on the tires aren't very deep, the edge of the fender just kind of filleted the tire a bit.

Me and my dad are lucky, we're from the desert, so we know what it's like to suffer through the extreme heat, but that doesn't mean the dehydration rules don't apply. I've been living in LA for four months too, so I might not deal as well either.

Kris

Roger Poirier
07-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Guys,

This is great information. Being a rookie or as Bill Howell would say a poser, I'm getting more excited every thread I read about racing a car on a track.

Good luck guys, it would be nice to hear from you on how things went, what your impressions were, etc.

R.P.

David Pozzi
07-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Tips for driving, sorry these are out of order, just thinking of things as I go:

1 PAY ATTENTION to the instructor don't get distracted leering at all the neat machinery or BS'ing.
2. Start out easy, learn the exact line the car must follow on the track, the racing "line" is all-important, learn the line before anything, and stay on the line going easy then work on picking up speed while still staying in full control of your car.

3. Brake easy, nothing screws up a novice driver like running full bore up to a corner like a madman then jamming on the binders and getting the car all out of shape. You'll forget all about driving the line when you over-brake the car and do much slower laps.

Work on braking smoothly and apply the brakes less than max at the inital applcation, then once the front suspension settles you can add more brake but STAY UNDER CONTROL and enter the corner on the line. Take all the corners with a late apex point, this leaves you with a safe corner exit, maybe a bit slower for some corners, but you won't get spit out onto the dirt like you would with an early apex. As you learn and get more confortable you can move the apexes up a bit. Consistant laps are what you want.

3. LEARN THE LINE, LEARN THE LINE, LEARN THE LINE.
DRIVE THE LINE, DRIVE THE LINE, DRIVE THE LINE.
Use a slow (ish) corner entry with fast exit, drive smoothly.

4. Watch the gages, mainly the oil pressure and temp. If you can take a passenger, ask them to slug you if your oil pressure drops below 30-40 psi in the hairpins.

5. The cool-down lap comes after the checkered flag is thrown, it isn't another "Free" lap! you really need to cool the engine and brakes down before reaching the pits or you can melt the brake seals or warp the rotors. If you get out of the car and hear your brakes going "ting, ting, ting," your brakes are not cooled down enough and you should roll the car every 5 minutes to prevent the part of the rotor covered by the caliper from remaining hotter than the rest of the rotor.

6. If you dont have an 8 qt oil pan, overfill by a quart. DON'T run with the oil at the "ADD" level. Overfill won't hurt a Chevy since several quarts will be up in the top of the engine anyway and Button Willow has at least one very tough corner on oil pressure.

7. If your power steering starts to groan, ease off and cool it down or come in. You absolutely need a ps cooler or you are asking for trouble. A thin type transmission cooler in the return line can be quickly added and helps a bunch.

8. Watch your mirrors, look ahead, as you drive harder you tend to focus close to the car, but you need to be looking up and ahead for cars in trouble or oil on the track, etc. Don't push yourself too hard when someones on your tail, you might spin out and they could hit you! When a good driver passes you there is an opportunity to follow his line and learn from him, but don't try too hard and lose it.

If you see a cloud of dust or a car spin out, watch the track in that spot when you get there, the car may have hit oil on the track and spun, or may have spun off and thrown dirt on the track, either way there may be something to avoid, and it may not be a car. Craig Boone blew his engine and coasted off the track to have people hit his oil and slide off the track and almost into his car!!! Watch out for hazards and situations like this, there may be fiew to no flagmen at the corners to slow people down or warn them.

9. Give yourself time to adapt and learn. If you goof up right away you could blow the whole day so pacing yourself and your car is the rule for the day.

10. If you get in a big train of cars, pull in and motor slowly thru the pits and re-enter the track again.

11. If you have a leak, pull off the racing line, there are plenty of intersecting roadways to pull onto if you can't limp back to the pits.
Use your nose, if you smell coolant, gear oil, or something burning, pull in and take a quick look at the car.

vanzuuk1
07-14-2005, 02:53 AM
heres a few.

Dont laugh, but remember to breath.Some people hold there breath when they are in corners or near the limit.

When you pull off the track or in the pits, slow down more than you feel is needed track speeds distort your perception and you need to readjust.

The most important part of your setup is in your skull , so relax and enjoy. Sometimes a few minutes out of the car will help solve a problem in a corner.

Dave was right ,look as far ahead as possible.Your car will follow your eyes so dont look off to your right or left.

Dont watch someone spin, as fascinating as it is , or you will join them.

"smooth" will turn into "fast" eventually

Damn True
03-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Here are some tips from the Nor-Cal Shelby Club in regard to dealing with Laguna Seca's strict sound rules. Applicable for any track with sound restrictions.

http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/soundadvice.htm

CurtiSS 69
09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
We have talked about before but after you return from the track, or at the track after doing 4 or more 20 minute sessions at 6000+rpm. It is a good idea to check key fastners for tightness. You will not believe the things that will come loose after some track work, or better yet paint a witness line on drain and fill plugs for fluids and brake attachment points. I know now why racers use safety wire.

Bring an infrared thermometer and check engine, transmission, power steering, and differential oil temperatures. If your running conventional oil consider 260F to be a maximum and Redline 300F. If they are higher than this a cooler is needed. Caliper temps should be 40F below the boiling point of the brake fluid too.

Another thing to be concerned with is fuel pressure. You don't want to lean out under severe conditions and lose a piston, or lose a battle. Oil isn't the only thing that flows away from the pickup. This is something that will only show up at the track as the car is under full acceleration and hard cornering forces most of the time. Having a carb with large float bowls helps cover this problem up.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

David Pozzi
10-23-2007, 06:52 PM
After running a track day, I'd also change the oil if you ran long sessions in hot weather and don't have an engine oil cooler. The oil can get very hot and shorten it's life.
David

ROEINONDUBS
09-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Here's a list of a few items that I spent the better part of two days doing to get ready for Saturday.

Rebuild both front calipers (Previous track day event melted the dust boots.)
Re-locate both front brake flex lines to better inner mounting point locations.
Inspect brake linings and rotor quality.
Inspect chassis and suspension components for wear and visible cracks.
Flush brake fluid.
Rotate tires.
Cleaned and repacked front wheel bearings.
Re-torque all critical fasteners.
Check all fluid levels.
Set front end alignment (-2, +6, 3/16" out)
Repair exhaust hanger damage.
Full chassis grease lubrication (28 points.)
Inspect belts and hoses.
Change coolant.

There's a few more things I need to do but basically the car is ready from a safety standpoint. If you have not done a safety inspection on your car I highly suggest spending some quality time in the garage ASAP.

Let's remember that Vince's party will only be a success if all of us come back in one piece.

hey do the sell the caliper dust covers separate from the rebuild kit?

CarlC
09-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't know, but the whole kit is something like $15.

ROEINONDUBS
09-25-2009, 11:24 PM
really do u have a preference on where u buy them?

CarlC
09-26-2009, 07:40 AM
rockauto.com The most expensive kit is $10, the least less than $4.

NAPA will have them as well.

CurtiSS 69
03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
An easy check for oil stavation before heading to the track is to go down a highway cloverleaf getting on the freeway at a good clip and have a passenger see if the oil pressure goes to zero. If it does find a solution before heading to the track. You will be surprised how many road race pans fail this simple test.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

Flash68
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Good thread. Thanks for the revival.

SSLance
05-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Heading to Heartland Park Topeka this weekend for a NASA HPDE two day event.

Reading this thread is a great reminder of things to do and not do to ensure a quality weekend for everyone.

Thanks for all of the insight.