PDA

View Full Version : 86 T-type -- SecondHand Six

KendallF
09-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Howdy folks..I have visited the site for a while but didn't register until today. I posted most of this in the intro forum and then I saw the "New Cars" forum. I thought I'd post here and let people take a look at the car. I could use some inspirational comments, or even some clever insults. :cheers:

I'm working on an 86 Buick T-type that's been dubbed SecondHand Six. It started off as a joke because there wasn't a new part on the car...now it's CNC'ed on the intake and valve covers. :)

Quick specs:
Motor: 280 ci Stage Two Buick V6
Induction: twin 60-1 turbos, tunnel ram/sheet metal EFI intake
Trans: 400 (looking for a cheap 4L80E eventually...)
Rear: Ford 9"
Suspension/Brakes: B-body front spindles/1LE 12" rotors, rear F-body discs adapted to Ford 9", stock suspension mounts with tubular arms front and rear.
Engine mgmt: FAST

It is getting relatively close to moving under its' own power; I'm wiring it currently. It's taking me forever as I'm doing it on a nothing budget, and fabricating everything myself, from the engine machine work and assembly to the CNC machined parts and fabrication.

I have a web site for the car (in the signature) but it hasn't been updated lately so I'll put a couple of recent pictures here. My goal is to make around 1k HP, get it running and on the 1/4 mile, and add some streetability-oriented parts from there.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

dennis68
09-01-2004, 09:06 PM
HOLY CRAP---major wood. Look up pro-touring in the dictionary and this guys car is there.

RatMalibu
09-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Very nice!!! if your Budget is nothing...I'd like to trade you :)

TitoJones
09-01-2004, 10:59 PM
:hail: :1st: :jawdrop: :eek: Holy God that is sweet. Reminds me of the one in Tony's book. I love your car.
Tyler

68RallySport
09-01-2004, 11:41 PM
I love turbobuicks. I tried to get a TTA or GN but couldnt afford one so i went with the first gen, im happy and wouldnt change anything but i NEED a turbobuick. I especially like ur GNX fender ducts....
All i can really say is I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!!!!
David

TRILOGYZ28
09-02-2004, 12:09 AM
wow !:worship: :worship:
excellent job on the Buick.........gotta love'em !
i know i do ! :cheers:

BlazerSpeed
09-02-2004, 01:34 AM
:getout: seriously.... totally unfair. I now know what the engine compartment of Monsoon will look like. That is by far one of the most beautiful cars I have seen. I only have four questions:

1) What color paint is that?
2) What type of rims are those
3) Do you have pics of the interior
4) Will you be my sugar daddy :fingersx:

DEREK

nitrovette
09-02-2004, 02:45 AM
And thats on a nothing budget?SWEET I love the whole thing,rims,paint etc....

CAMAROBOY69
09-02-2004, 04:43 AM
That is awesome!!! Great work and looks tough! :smoke:

cjhutch
09-02-2004, 05:04 AM
Wow, making me want to go out and look for a nice Buick. I love the contrast between the paint and the color of the wheels. :hail:

Drewhelm
09-02-2004, 07:05 AM
First car I test drove at 16 was a black GN. DAMN, I wish I'd bought it now!!!

That is an AWESOME car! I think your "nothing budget" is a little richer than my "nothing budget".

:jawdrop:

KendallF
09-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Very nice!!! if your Budget is nothing...I'd like to trade you :)

:getout: seriously.... totally unfair. I now know what the engine compartment of Monsoon will look like. That is by far one of the most beautiful cars I have seen. I only have four questions:

1) What color paint is that?
2) What type of rims are those
3) Do you have pics of the interior
4) Will you be my sugar daddy :fingersx:

DEREK

And thats on a nothing budget?SWEET I love the whole thing,rims,paint etc....

That is an AWESOME car! I think your "nothing budget" is a little richer than my "nothing budget".
:jawdrop:

I guess I should be happy everybody thinks it's more expensive than it is..it would suck to declare it's a budget build up and have everyone say, "No *****..what a turd!" :D Thanks for the good words. :)

I have just over $10k in the thing at this point. I bought the car as a $2500 basket case, sold enough parts off of it to make a profit, and started scrounging. I put two sleeves in the block and machined it myself, ditto nearly everything else on the car. The intake started off as a $50 tunnel ram lower that I bought on Ebay. The most expensive things were the ECM, the wheels/tires, and the paint. It was actually painted in a pole barn. :)

The color is a factory color, Rosewood. I have always liked the color and searched for one when I started this build-up. The wheels are Boyd's Tuned, 17x11 and 9.5 with 5.5 and 4.5 backspacing. The car has a frame notch and mini-tub to fit them. I actually mini-tubbed it to fit 29.5x10.5W tires for the track. It doesn't have an interior yet..I have some straight-outta-the-80s Recaros that somebody gave me that need to be re-covered and installed. And finally, I need a sugar momma, myself. :cheers:

Salt Racer
09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Very cool car! :icon996:

There's a guy who runs '89 Pace Car Turbo T/A (same engine as yours, I think) at El Mirage and Bonneville. Ken Duttweiler went through his motors. The car still has a single turbo configuration (compressor housing is from a semi truck, so I was told), and 257ci makes about 1000hp on race gas and 1200hp for 274ci. You can probably make 850~900hp on pump gas w/o much fuss.

BTW, this T/A holds bunch of records. The fastest one is 292mph set on the salt flats in '01. Pretty impressive for a V6.

PRO TC
09-02-2004, 12:20 PM
SUPER DUPPER SWEET!! I know 2 guys with GN's .. Id love to own one also!!

Hope the rear end holds for ya!!

Brad
09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Kendall, you better give me a ride in that biiiiatch when you get it going.
You guys really need to see the car in person, it's everybit as good as the pics, if not better!

justanova
09-02-2004, 02:45 PM
:jawdrop: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:THAT IS FRIGGIN SWEET. gotta love turbo buicks.

More pics, more pics, more pics.

KendallF
09-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Very cool car! :icon996:

There's a guy who runs '89 Pace Car Turbo T/A (same engine as yours, I think) at El Mirage and Bonneville. Ken Duttweiler went through his motors. The car still has a single turbo configuration (compressor housing is from a semi truck, so I was told), and 257ci makes about 1000hp on race gas and 1200hp for 274ci. You can probably make 850~900hp on pump gas w/o much fuss.

BTW, this T/A holds bunch of records. The fastest one is 292mph set on the salt flats in '01. Pretty impressive for a V6.

Thanks for sharing the great pic! I hadn't seen that car before. :) Ken is tops at these motors; every time I go to California I try and make time to go to his shop. He is incredibly gracious and has put up with me hanging around the better part of several days and learning. He's made nearly 1600 HP on his dyno with a max-effort S2 V6; I was there when John Gallina's record-setting Super Stock motor made over 1200 with ~210 ci. :cool:

Kendall, you better give me a ride in that biiiiatch when you get it going.
You guys really need to see the car in person, it's everybit as good as the pics, if not better!

Oh-oh..a local. :attn: Brad, you are welcome to a ride..that is, assuming it eventually gets seats. :)

More pics, more pics, more pics.

There are hundreds on my web site of various pieces of the build-up..in incredibly boring detail. :help: When it's moving without me pushing it I'll try to take more of the whole car. Here's one more of the car in front of the high dollar paint booth. :)

1970cuda
09-02-2004, 07:00 PM
met him at bonneville A couple of weeks ago. nice nice guy but his car was broke so he was driving a friend turbo cts caddy.

lt4malibu
09-02-2004, 07:35 PM
your car is awesome, i love that rosewood color.

68RallySport
09-03-2004, 12:36 AM
I almost bought a TTA with 46000 miles on it for 10k but the insurance was too high. My camaro ended up being close to $500 cheaper a year...
David

Salt Racer
09-03-2004, 07:22 AM
...He's made nearly 1600 HP on his dyno with a max-effort S2 V6; I was there when John Gallina's record-setting Super Stock motor made over 1200 with ~210 ci. :cool: ...

Holy smokes!! I never imagined those V6s are capable of making that much power. Maybe the motors for that T/A is slightly held back for durability reason? (the long course at Bonneville is 5-mile long) Let us know when you put your motor on dyno!

met him at bonneville A couple of weeks ago. nice nice guy but his car was broke so he was driving a friend turbo cts caddy.

He was having some problems during earlier week, but I think he sorted things out. He set a new record in D/BGALT at 270-ish on Friday. I was doing volunteer work for SCTA so I stayed until Saturday morning.

Looks like there are more people on this board going to B'ville than I thought. I met David Pozzi, and later found out JamesJ was out there too (his family runs a modified roadster).

colt zantop
09-03-2004, 06:52 PM
well, everybodys pretty much covered it but Ill say it again, sweet car! the color and wheels look perfect together.........nice to see so many diff. cars showing up as projects around here....when I first came here...it was all camaros(not that thats bad...I GOT ONE!!!) its just nice to see a variety!! keep us updated with pics!!!!

colt45

zbugger
09-04-2004, 10:57 AM
I guess I should be happy everybody thinks it's more expensive than it is..it would suck to declare it's a budget build up and have everyone say, "No *****..what a turd!" :D Thanks for the good words.

No *****.. What a turd!!!

Hee hee.... I just don't like it because it's not in my driveway.

One of these days I'll show you what a nothing budget really is.....

wickedmotorhead
09-05-2004, 10:20 PM
:headbang: Right on man! Perfect color combination and I have been looking for rims like those for a long time for mine. Absolutely Perfect. Nice work.

shmoov69
09-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Well Kendall, That is one of the best looking Buford engine compartments that I have ever seen......With the exception of "Tweaked"! I wish I still had my GN, but oh well! :nopity: It did however give me the turbo bug though! Now I got twins! :look:
NICE car!
Jimmy

Josh69
09-09-2004, 09:12 AM
What finish is on those wheel centers?

I really miss turbo's, I had an SVO Mustang and a Lotus Esprit SE...not much for torque on those two that I had, but the turbo was waaaay cool once it got spooling up, it was like... :seizure: I'm jealous!

Josh

PS, the car looks awesome!! I like the color, very original!

KendallF
09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
I appreciate all of the comments. Like most of us, I get blah'ed out about working on the car sometimes, and knowing people like it and want to see it helps motivate me. :cheers:

Well Kendall, That is one of the best looking Buford engine compartments that I have ever seen......With the exception of "Tweaked"!
SNIP>>
Now I got twins! :look:
NICE car!
Jimmy

Tweaked is still around, and ran at the Nats this past year. I don't have big dents in my downpipe to clear my IC pipe like Tweaked, though. Of course, I don't have downpipes at all yet.. :hand:

Neat setup on your car! How is the blow-through working for you, and how much boost? Performance?

What finish is on those wheel centers?

They are powdercoated charcoal grey. This is an option you can have done at Boyd's before they assemble the wheels. :)

wickedmotorhead
09-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey the new owner of Tweaked is who I just bought my GN from. Sweet, its cool to see people talk about that car. :smoke:

Black Box
09-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Holy crap Kendall, I've seen you posting over on the Turbo Buick boards, but I never knew your car was so bad ass! :icon996: I really gotta start paying better attention. :hammer:

Good luck with it!
Steve

68 stang
09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Damn I love that color and that car. I am jealous.

grtpmkn
09-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Very, very nice....freaking awesome, actually! I love the color, wheels, stance, everything. Being into Turbo 6 Buicks, you probably know an old friend of mine by the name of Cal Hartline, I bet.

KendallF
09-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Very, very nice....freaking awesome, actually! I love the color, wheels, stance, everything. Being into Turbo 6 Buicks, you probably know an old friend of mine by the name of Cal Hartline, I bet.

Cal's a buddy of mine..the hood, FAST ECM, and probably some other parts I'm forgetting came from him. :)