PDA

View Full Version : Newbie (old guy, old Mustang) Ottawa Ontario

Phil 68
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I've got a '68 Mustang GT Fastback that I've been in a Love Hate relationship with for the past 30 years. Bought it as a non-runner at the end of high school ('82), and dropped in a '68 302 with milled '70 351 heads, headers, and Thrush header mufflers. 3spd manual. Ran it hard through my university years, including a spring break trip to Florida where on I-4 the 3 spd seized at 70mph and bent the driveshaft and cracked the bellhousing. It took a 2nd trip to FL a few months later to tow it home again (but I ended up with a toploader 4spd as a result). Lots of stories...

Its an "S" code car, and in '87 I sourced the correct '68 390 4V for it, but soon after parked it as the subframes were dangerously rusty. It sat for a few years, then went into a restoration shop that sucked every spare dime out of me for 3 years or so. They mistook my instructions to "make it solid, and get a coat of paint on to it" for "make it a trailer queen" and I seemed to have little say in the matter. I got the empty shell back looking fabulous and almost afraid to drive it, let alone drive it hard. Slowly reassembled, and rarely driven for a long time as life went on. But I'm back into it again. Going for mild ProTouring mods.

Recent updates:
Performer RPM intake, taking about 50 lbs out of the front end (those cast iron FE intakes are HEAVY)
FPA ceramic coated Tri-Y headers
Seats
Wheels: +1 on the styled steel wheel from a 14" to a 15"... biggest I can find where the GT centercaps still fit
Koni "red" shocks
RetroTek / Powerjection III throttle body EFI: in process this winter.
Keisler Engineering T45RS 5 spd: on order, due in about a month
Exhaust: I've sawzall'd out the 2" dual exhaust (OEM single transverse muffler) and have to get something back in by spring - likely the stainless Dynomax VT 2.5"

Next winter I hope to tackle suspension, the choices there are overwhelming but I'm leaning towards the Global West tubular upper control arms with the 1" drop. Maybe upgrade the front discs, and put a Wilwood rear disc conversion on.

Bryce
02-05-2012, 08:21 PM
welcome! we need more ford guys.

car_designer
02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Welcome aboard Phil. Very nice car.

67TXStang
02-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. Please add a build thread to track the changes you make to your car. It's always nice to see another classic Mustang.

Angelo
06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
A fellow canadian with a stang - nice.

CruizinKev
06-03-2012, 06:00 AM
welcome aboard Phil! :twothumbs

BMR Sales
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Welcome aboard ! Love the early Mustangs and even more if they are P-T.

Phil 68
07-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the forum. Please add a build thread to track the changes you make to your car. It's always nice to see another classic Mustang.

A build thread... some day.
Meantime, I have done two writeups over on StangNet
1) installation of the Powerjection III EFI, done this spring.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/efi-conversion-experience-long.856312/

2) installation of the Keisler 5 spd. Just completed.
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/keisler-5spd-installation-write-up.859659/

Phil 68
02-25-2017, 05:43 PM
This summer the front discs got upgraded to Wilwoods (rotors & calipers) and the rear drums got replaced by Wilwood discs as well. Much better brake feel now.

Its decision time on the front end, and I'd welcome some experienced input.

1. Steering. Currently have a manual box, and have no issue with that even with the weight of the FE up front. But on the highway its pretty loose on center, and also tends to follow every bump in the road. For a while my intention was to go with a manual rack & pinion, but now am thinking of simply putting in a new Flaming River steering box (keeping it manual). For those that have driven both, what are the pros & cons?

2. Suspension. Currently stock, with Koni reds. I used to think that Global West tubular control arms with the 1" drop was the way to go. But things have evolved a lot over the years, and coil-overs seem to be the popular upgrade. I'd like to drop the front about an inch, no more. Handling... I want a more compliant, streetable front end, while keeping it firm. Currently any type of stutter bump has the car jumping about. Looking for a good front suspension upgrade kit, probably coil-over. Bolt on. Major mods like shaving shock towers is out of the question.

All input welcome. Thanks.

andrewb70
02-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Some of the symptoms of your steering might be alignment related. I plan in adding electronic power steering to my 67 Cougar. That may be a better option.

Check out our site sponsors. Many have awesome mustang parts. I used TCP.

Andrew

Cyclone03
02-25-2017, 08:59 PM
I have an FE 68 Mustang that I autocross. For steering I went from a Flaming River manual to Borgeson Power Steering with about 6deg of caster,then some mods to get 9deg. The common power rack systems tend to not have correct bump steer curves because the tie rods end up too short.

For a more modern suspension Street or Track has a coil over system that is track proven. Mike Maier Inc also has some really good stuff.
My car has a very conventional set up from OpenTracker Racing.

raustinss
02-26-2017, 04:30 AM
Another canuck ...welcome Phil

SM69Mach
02-26-2017, 06:14 AM
Nice looking Mustang. I have a 69 S code, Mach 1. I am running the Street or Track set up coil over set up in the front and absolutely love it. I also upgraded to the unisteer power rack and love that too. I would call Shaun and Street or Track and talk with him. I talked with him several times before ordering and he gave me a few options to consider and took the time to answer all of my questions with no pressure to buy from him. I chose the Street valved shocks, but he has other options for whatever you plan to do with the car.

Phil 68
02-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Overwhelming amount of choice when it comes to coil-over conversions, so opinions on what works, and who to avoid, are greatly appreciated.

Phil

minendrews68
02-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Welcome... Your going to like it here!

Koupe68
02-28-2017, 10:57 AM
welcome mon ami Phil,
My parents were born and raised in Montreal and Quebec. I don't envy your winters! Great choice in precious metal. I am working on my 68 coupe and joined this forum for input and offer a bit of help as I could. Look forward to seeing you modify the mustang

outrgus
02-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Welcome.
Here are some of the mods i have done to my 68.
lower control arms boxed. 1 inch sway bar, roller spring perches, shelby mod on upper control arm, bilstien sport shocks (front&back), 1 inch drop coils, mid eye leaf springs. global west strut rods. baer bump steer kit.
flaming river 16:1 manual box, wilwood front brakes. Caltracs.
It rides very nice (good shocks), and auto X very well for a 50 year old car.

Josh@Ridetech
03-01-2017, 08:39 AM
welcome! we need more ford guys.

What he said... lol

Welcome!