PDA

View Full Version : Pro-motorsports Spindle extenders

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
07-10-2005, 09:48 PM
What do you think about these?
I was going through some old magazine articles and came across
Pro-Motorsports spindle extenders http://www.pro-motorsports.com/store/product.asp?id=66 .
The company still makes them and there suppose to reverse/reduce the camber gain without having to change the upper control arm. At $180.00 I thought they may be worth a try, In Leu of going with Global Wests
G-Plus upper A-Arm (for stock spindle) at $500.00

David Pozzi
07-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Those raise the upper balljoint by 1 15/16"!
That's a whole lot of change and I consider it too excessive a change. I have read of people who removed them due to inside edge wear of the front tires. There is very little to keep the spacers from shifting side to side due to cornering force but I haven't read of anyone having that problem. They use a straight bolt in a tapered hole so I don't see why it isn't going to shift on the spindle, but maybe I'm missing something.

Read up on Tyler's new ATS spindle that is taller, or Fatman or Marcus S&C half inch taller upper balljoints, also the Guldstrand Mod.

Rick Dorion
07-11-2005, 04:19 AM
I think Tyler's is 1.4" taller. Anyway, I have a set if interested. I've decided to go with either Tyler's spindle or the taller UBJ.

Norm Peterson
07-11-2005, 04:31 AM
I have read of people who removed them due to inside edge wear of the front tires. There is very little to keep the spacers from shifting side to side due to cornering force but I haven't read of anyone having that problem. They use a straight bolt in a tapered hole so I don't see why it isn't going to shift on the spindle, but maybe I'm missing something.The tire wear issue doesn't surprise me too much, especially if a lot of hard braking is involved. At 1.75" bump, the camber gain is somewhere around -1.75*/in while the lateral scrub is 3/16" or so, assuming that the LCAs are level at static ride height. Never mind what's happening to the bumpsteer.

It's a neat concept, but the physical space requirements of a fully thread-engaged nut, a bolt head, a little clearance space between the two, and another thickness of metal for the bolt head to bear against apparently adds too much height for good geometry. Things might not be quite so, ummm, aggressive, if you're lowered enough such that the LCAs chassis end pivots are noticeably lower than the LBJ pivot centers, though . . .

I have the same concern about the upper end having the potential to wander around a bit, given also that the tightest fit around the bolt is at the far end of the knuckle attachment from the adapter half and is within the bolt's threaded portion. Though I do suppose that you could fab your own tight-fitting thinwall conical sleeves to better locate the bolt shanks in the tops of the tapered knuckle holes. At least the uppers only have to carry the smaller loads.

Norm

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
07-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I guess that I should've mentioned that I'm Working on an 71' A-body car. I thought the Guldstrand mod only applied to F and X body cars. I really appreciate the fast reply though. I guess I will have to explore all the options. I'm just not totally sold on going to the B-body spindle set up. My car already has 12" front discs and Eibach lowered springs,which have the LCA's almost parallel to the ground,
so I would like to keep this set up. The Fat Man spindle would be great if they weren't a drop spindle. I haven't thought about the taller UBJ or have heard about the Tyler spindle. Any additional insight on either of these is greatly appreciated.

TitoJones
07-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Here ya go. it is a much better alternative to the B body spindle:
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7951
Tyler

Marcus SC&C
07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
For some info on the B swap you can go here and read the FAQ. www.SCandC.com It pertains to both A and G body cars although it`s effects are worse on the A bodys. You can also find info on tall BJ packages there. The A body packages aren`t shown on the site (new site coming end of August!) but they`re very similar and the same cost as the G body packages. These have become very popular! In fact we just shipped another A body SC Stg.1 and an A body SC Stg.2 ProLite today. :) If you have any questions feel free to give me a call at the shop. Marcus

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
07-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I Like the packages that SC&C offer, But it looks a little over the top. Definetly high tech though. I can see where you can really set up the car just the way you want. Is it a bit much for the street? Who could you take it to that could align the car? And how to dial it in without track time?