PDA

View Full Version : Using Dial Indicator/Magnetic Base

68lovebuzz
07-10-2005, 04:56 PM
So, I have been playing with the dial indicator and magnetic base I recently purchased and I can't seem to figure out how this is going to work once the flywheel/bellhousing is in the car. Is there somekind of other magnetic base that mounts where the bearing/bushing goes in the flywheel? I'm stumped to understand how I will find the absolute middle of the flywheel with this base. I have seen pictures how to do the measuring, although have not seen any pictures on mounting the base/indicator to the flywheel itself. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated and pictures are always much help.

Thanks guys,

Brian

andrewb70
07-10-2005, 06:30 PM
You have to position the magnetic base on the edge of the flywheel or on the flywheel bolts. You may have to get rid of the extension arm and mount the dial indicator on the rod that is attached to the base.

Andrew

Norwoodx55
07-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Brian, you say you don't know" how I will find the absolute middle of the flywheel." You don't need to find the middle, you will only need a position that you can get the tip of the indicator onto the edge of the housing. So no matter where you start from, the only thing you are looking for is how many .000" variance the gauge reads as you rotate the engine over 360* I think this is where you might be confused. If not, let us know, and we/I can try to help explain it better. By the way, I usually put the base on the end of the crank w/o the flywheel on just for a little more room. :cheers:
Good luck, Brett

68lovebuzz
07-10-2005, 10:05 PM
That completly answers my question, thanks so much, I am heading to the garage now...

Brian

andrewb70
07-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Brett,

Thanks for making it clear. I was doing a terrible job. :icon996:

Andrew