PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech Outer Tierod Stud Clearance Problem

piratebaseball
01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
It's me again with another Ridetech question. Has anybody used the truturn suspension kit on American Racing Torque Thrust II 17x9.5 wheels. I finally got my wilwood brakes on today (had to turn the seal backwards for it to seal...long story for those who havn't read). Finally, felt like I had made progress and when to bolt the wheel up to the hubs and when tightening down the wheel, noticed it wasn't turning. I figured something was wrong (it always is...) and I noticed that the threads on the bottom of the outer tierod end studd had dug into the inside of the wheel (hence the reason it wouldn't turn). I can post pics later on. I know the truturn suspension kit was supposed to work with 17's. Has anybody else had this same problem. Also, I noticed that the stud has a cotter pin hole in it. Do you still need to put the cotter pin in even though it's not a castle nut on the bottom? Just trying to figure out if I can cut some off the bottom of the end of the studd to get the clearance I need. If the studd was shorter it would fit with no problem. Thanks guys

piratebaseball
01-29-2012, 03:17 PM
May have solved my problem. The ridetech steering arms that connect to the spindle, do the ends of the steering arm angle outward away from the car or inward toward the motor? On their directions, they have it pictured angling outwards. However, watching their videos they have it angled inward towards the motor I believe. I'm sure this would gain some clearance. Thanks guys

David Pozzi
01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
I think they should point inward towards the engine. Maybe this photo will help:

piratebaseball
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Just wanted to give you an update. If you install the truturn system, the steering arms need to angle inwards towards the motor, not outwards like the directions show. If I ever get finish with everything, I'll post pics and write up directions on how to install their coilover kit and tru turn.

Bad94
02-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I have to sit back and laugh at everyone of your post about this kit. I was one of the first to buy this kit and install it and put the car on the track too. And i did the complete kit along with switching coilover in about 4 hours. How are you have so many problem?

bret
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I looked at the instructions again just now. The illustration you are referring to is a generic representation of the components and how they relate to one another. You are correct...the illustration does have an ever so slight curve to the outside. I didn't notice it because actually, I wasn't aware you could even get the arms to bolt up the wrong way. An actual picture would have been clearer. Sorry for the confusion. I'll get it fixed!

piratebaseball
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I have to sit back and laugh at everyone of your post about this kit. I was one of the first to buy this kit and install it and put the car on the track too. And i did the complete kit along with switching coilover in about 4 hours. How are you have so many problem?

As I was told, these kits are generic and sometimes don't fit specific applications without modifying. This is due to the factory variances and that is "Hod Rodding." I got sent the wrong coilover spring in the kit for the rear (which ridetech exchanged with no problem) which was a time set back. I then redrilled all the ball joint holes in the upper control arms so that they would line up. Then I waited over 3 months for my Moser 12 bolt I ordered (even though they supposedly have a 2 day turn around). It took around 14 weeks to get wheels and tires from American Racing. Wilwood brakes do not seal on the back side of the hub on ridetech spindles. Either have to go with a different seal (look that crap up in thousandeths of inches to get it to work) or turn the seal backwards which I didn't want to do initially because I was worried about it sealing (I figured there was a reason wilwood said install it a specific way). Ridetech really helped me out get through the brake senario. Then I installed the steering arms just like the picture showed and they hit the inside of the wheel. The only other thing I would like to see ridetech add to their instructions is that on their newer bar systems for the rear, the long arm is off set now and not centered like their pictures show. The installer needs to know which side to put the off set too. I was hoping to get my car rolling before baseball season but that didn't happen.

MrQuick
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I have to sit back and laugh at everyone of your post about this kit. I was one of the first to buy this kit and install it and put the car on the track too. And i did the complete kit along with switching coilover in about 4 hours. How are you have so many problem? because you toss the instructions out like the average grease monkey. oh and

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

for laughing at these guys for actually trying to do it themselves. LOL

dontlifttoshift
02-03-2012, 05:01 AM
ahhh, memes gotta love em. I am eating breakfast and almost did a cereal guy when I saw that.

I dont think bad94 was laughing at him for trying to do it himself......it's that every time there is an issue its a new thread.

The last thing I do is post a thread on a public forum. Ridetech is pretty good about putting their phone number on stuff and the op already stated that they have helped him numerous times already.

sanman
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow the expert has arrived with such good advice. Its guys like this I wish they stayed in their garage and off the computer!!

sanman
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Jeez then don't read it! Give the guy a break.
ahhh, memes gotta love em. I am eating breakfast and almost did a cereal guy when I saw that.

I dont think bad94 was laughing at him for trying to do it himself......it's that every time there is an issue its a new thread.

The last thing I do is post a thread on a public forum. Ridetech is pretty good about putting their phone number on stuff and the op already stated that they have helped him numerous times already.

sanman
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't mnd the other experts here, they are lying if they said they never faced a situation when they were learning how to wrench. Keep it up your learning loads as you make mistakes and figure it out. These other guys are too thick to get it.
Just wanted to give you an update. If you install the truturn system, the steering arms need to angle inwards towards the motor, not outwards like the directions show. If I ever get finish with everything, I'll post pics and write up directions on how to install their coilover kit and tru turn.

davidk68
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
don't worry about it pirate, I'd actually like to give you props for posting with issues, you've probably helped someone else on here who may have the same problem in the future.

David

dontlifttoshift
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Sanman, 2 days and 16 posts. Welcome to the board! I learn something new everyday, sometimes two things. You can quote this one as well and really get that post count up!

David I agree, except the title of the thread is "ridetech outer tie rod stud clearance problem" implying that there is something wrong with the product. There was not. Within 20 minutes of posting the op replied saying he solved the problem by correctly installing the parts and figured it out on his own. There was some confusion due to a generic picture in the instructions and Bret said he is on it.

The point is deal with a manufacturer first and at least give them a chance to help with your situation before you go to the forums.

Donny

piratebaseball
02-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Wow... To those who helped, thank you. To those who didn't, sorry for wasting your precious time.

MrQuick
02-04-2012, 01:01 AM

yeah i know i was just bustin balls where i see it needed. some guys need to try to be more helpful then hurtfull. you know what im sayin.

camrat68
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
don't worry about it pirate, I'd actually like to give you props for posting with issues, you've probably helped someone else on here who may have the same problem in the future.

David

It's actually helping me quite a bit. I'm trying to find parts that will work together BEFORE I drop the coin rather than after.

Piratebaseball-Could I get pics of the area that was hitting? Would a wheel with different backspace be better?

Thanks,
Jim

dontlifttoshift
02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
They steering arms don't hit when installed properly. Check post #4.

Apogee
02-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Kum-ba-yah...everyone sing along! (Padding my post count one post at a time)

Tobin
KORE3

camrat68
02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
LOL! O.....K....

I actually had noticed that he had solved the problem. I was actually looking for a picture of how this fit on a first gen relative to the inside of a 17" wheel.

Jim

piratebaseball
02-16-2012, 06:59 PM
No problem bud, i'll get you some pics. I'm in the middle of baseball seaosn (h/s baseball coach), but I'll try to get them posted by this weekend.

LOL! O.....K....

I actually had noticed that he had solved the problem. I was actually looking for a picture of how this fit on a first gen relative to the inside of a 17" wheel.

Jim

JRouche
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Hmm? I dont know folks. I think ANYONE should be able to make a post asking for help, even if the problem was operator error.

The OP wasnt bashing the product. Just looking for any insight. He WAS asking questions!! David was kind enough to help with useful info. And Bret even said there might be some room for improvement re: the instructions.

And still we have folks enjoying the difficulties he is having instead of posting useful comments or just bypassing the thread. Kinda like a vulture waiting for the byproducts of the food chain instead of being a leader of the food chain.

I can do ANY mechanical work on a car, cept final paint work :( Thats art work IMO. But know way in HELL will I come here and talk chit or ridicule ANY poster for his need for help. The problem when you do that is the forum starts to look like an elitists site that the common (myself included) car enthusiast will stay away from for fear of "finger poking".

YUP!! I do have a funny bone and do see humor when its presented. Im the first to enjoy some humor. But?? When a guy is in the dumps and having problem after problem (Ive been there) the last thing they want to see is some humor. They would rather see some helpful advice.

So I dont know. When a new or long time member has some technical issues might NOT be the time to get funny, get helpful instead. And if you dont have any advice click on the next thread, there really are plenty of them here.

Id just hate to see this forum thought of as a place for a guy with many technical issues as NOT the place to go to. He would be loosing ALL the great minds here.

I dont know, maybe ratchet down the "humor" for the guys that are really NOT part of your immediate "friend" base. For example. I might post a problem and some folks I know might give me some pain LOL I GET it. And they might (usually not cause they already know my problem) give some help. WAY diff than a casual person asking for help. Gotta give the help or pass on the thread. Just common forum etiquette Im thinking. Otherwise it looks like this forum is full of snob, righteous folks and I already know its NOT!!..

A person should be able to post as many technical questions that he needs. Plain and simple. Without being made the joke of the day. JR